Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you back a trailer correctly?

• 25-06-2013 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭

I am useless at backing a trailer, either with a car or tractor, although I haven't backed a tractor trailer for a good few years.

I think it's a skill that people are either good at or they aren't.

Can you back a trailer? 59 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

As an addendum, do you need a special license for a trailer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I am a muck warrior with tractor and ifor williams, of course I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

some amazing vids on youtube for that tbh. some of them or nearly unbelievable the accuracy *tips hat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I backed a trailer this one time.

it was on a tractorRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The thing about backing trailers is;

The longer it is, the more control you have over driving it where you want it to go.

Size matters.

• Advertisement

The longer it is, the more control you have over driving it where you want it to go.

Size matters.

Yeah you keep telling yourself that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in a warehouse and some of the truck drivers have real skill backing those 40 footers in tight areas.

on another note..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I can't drive, so of course not. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jamie72 wrote: »

yes. EB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

yes. EB

Category W is a Work vehicle (tractor) with or without trailer, so if you have W you don't need a special licence for a tractor and trailer. (My tester asked me "Will you ever need to drive a tractor?" My uncle's a farmer so I said "Yeah, maybe" and he said "Grand, I'll tick Category W for you too, so.")

If you have a Cat B licence (car) you are allowed to drive your car with certain small trailers. I'm not sure of the exact definition, but I think it's something like single axle only, small enough not to obscure car's lights and there's probably a max weight too. Bigger trailers, you need Cat EB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Category W is a Work vehicle (tractor) with or without trailer, so if you have W you don't need a special licence for a tractor and trailer. (My tester asked me "Will you ever need to drive a tractor?" My uncle's a farmer so I said "Yeah, maybe" and he said "Grand, I'll tick Category W for you too, so.")

If you have a Cat B licence (car) you are allowed to drive your car with certain small trailers. I'm not sure of the exact definition, but I think it's something like single axle only, small enough not to obscure car's lights and there's probably a max weight too. Bigger trailers, you need Cat EB.

That's something I always wondered about. You can get the W category on your licence and tow massive big trailers with a tractor but yet when you get behind the wheel of a car you can only pull a small trailer with your standard car licence ie the same one that have you the W category which allows massive trailers some weighing a few tonnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Oh and yes I can back a trailer. Had to learn pretty quick when I got my truck licence and started working in a truck garage. I have to admit though its nowhere near as easy as it looks and I'm not majorly great at it either mostly just lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am pretty good at it. When I first got my trailer I took it to a big car park and spent some time familiarising myself with reversing it. Have the EB license now and all. You have to reverse around a corner in that test.

Big trailers are way easier to manoeuvre than small car trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No but I can back a horse!

Eyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I can indeed. Me father taught me, many years ago. Anyone can master it I think, but some really need to apply themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

jimgoose wrote: »
    I can indeed. Me father taught me, many years ago. Anyone can master it I think, but some really need to apply themselves.

I think a few people have lied in this poll. We know no women voted yes, so hands up lads. Who voted yes but really can't do it :)

Can you reverse a trailer around a corner or in to a tight space first or second attempt or on a busy road?

Driving forward/backwards a 20 times doesn't count as able to properly reverse a trailer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jimgoose wrote: »

I don't know about that. Many can't master driving a car forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I have a licence to drive all classes of trailer, but I can't back one up to save my life. The '80's were great for drivers :P

Awaits backlash.....................

oldyouth wrote: »
    I have a licence to drive all classes of trailer, but I can't back one up to save my life. The '80's were great for drivers :P

Awaits backlash.....................

Oddly enough, I can reverse one all day and all night but I'm not licensed to. This will change when I get my artic license, so NER!! :D

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    ...Can you reverse a trailer around a corner or in to a tight space first or second attempt or on a busy road?...

Yes. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I've seen a lad reverse an artic that had an extra trailer at the back. I got a headache just looking at it!

Myself? Reasonably competent because i rarely do it. But i grew up handling trailers so it's like riding a bike i suppose. Short trailers, generators etc. are a bastid!

Yeah I'm fairly good at it from years doing it at home on the farm and also driving tractors pulling lowloaders, generators, mixers etc for a builder. I can go up through the gears reversing a trailer with a tractor and have had complements from people on reversing out of tight areas with big trailers (the yard in the hardware store in boom times was like Tokyo).

Contrary to what some people might think longer trailers are much easier to reverse than short ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Nuber of axles has nothing to do with it. Its based on GVW of the trailer only for the EB licence.

On a B licence you can tow any trailer up to 750kg GVW or you can tow a trailer with a GVW of >750kg once the GVW of the trailer is less than the unlaiden weight of the towing vehicle and the combination of towing vehicle and trailer GVW do not exceed 3500kg.

With the car I drive I can tow up to 1300 GVW on a B (after lenghty discusions with the traffic corps by the side of the road).

Number of axles, braking, max towing load, nose weight etc would be based on vehicle spec etc but they are not formally part of the EB licence classification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

grew up on a farm so it was a skill I had to learn.

supplimented by playing with Britian's toy tractors & trailers as a kid of course!!

still go caravanning and can park the van in the pitch on first attempt EVERY time, and then get out and laugh at all the muppets with their remote control caravan movers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Yep I did tons of it as a kid. Infact on my first edt lesson my instructor said she never saw someone with such complete mastery over reversing around a corner who was crap at roundabouts ;) (in so many words)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

b class license allows you pull a trailer with upto 750kg load.

CategoryVehicle typeMinimum age of driverB

Vehicles with seats for a maximum of 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg (can tow a trailer where the maximum weight of the trailer when fully loaded is 750kg or less)17 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Size matters.
    To be precise - the further away the axle/axles of the trailer are from the hitch point than the easier it is to handle. A small single axle car trailer is more difficult to handle than a 40' trailer due to the fact that the smaller trailer reacts more quickly with any deviation from a straight line.

As another poster pointed out the most difficult is a lorry with a drag trailer. Double rotating points to take into account - nightmare :eek:
    Have to appreciate any driver that can handle one of those rigs :)

Advertisement