Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any evidence of cannibalism during Irish Famine

• 26-02-2013 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Reading last week about the North Korean famines & cannibalism made me curious enough to ask the unthinkable.

Is there any evidence that we resorted to the same ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Still better than taking the protestant soup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Without a doubt it happened.

You think 1,000,000 people starved to death and not one of them thought long and hard about having a man-wich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've tried cannibalism but the smell of fish makes me heave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Still better than taking the protestant soup...

Unless it was made from real Protestants.

OP I'm pretty sure this did happen a lot, and is where the "Shepherd's Pie" originates from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Seachmall wrote: »
    I've tried cannibalism but the smell of fish makes me heave.
    Are you a fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

OMG you can't just ask someone if they're a fish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Too soon.

Do you remember them gnawing at your leg while you were only sleeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Reading last week about the North Korean famines & cannibalism made me curious enough to ask the unthinkable.

Is there any evidence that we resorted to the same ?

Remember reading about this before....
    Cannibalism was likely practiced in Ireland during the Famine, Professor Cormac O Grada of University College Dublin told a New York conference on world hunger at Fordham University on Monday.
    O Grada, a leading expert on famine, said there were many rumors about it in Ireland, but one documented report involved a John Connolly in the West of Ireland who came before the court on theft charges.
    In the course of the prosecution, it emerged that the family were in such desperate straits that his wife had eaten some of the flesh off the leg of the dead body of her son.
    The son’s body was exhumed and it was discovered that his flesh was indeed missing. Connolly was immediately discharged, O Grada noted, as the desperate condition of the Famine victims was taken into account.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Cannibalism-was-likely-practiced-in-Irish-famine-says-leading-expert-151504185.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You'd need to eat an entire village in one go just to feel full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

When I heard cannibalism I thought of someone being murdered first... but I imagine there were cases were people died of natural causes/starvation and they were eaten by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Didn't they make a film about this a few years back.

Walking Ned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

When I heard cannibalism I thought of someone being murdered first... but I imagine there were cases were people died of natural causes/starvation and they were eaten by others.

terrible desperation to do it, and for very little nutrition from the body of someone who died of hunger. :(

It's plausible that it happened - thanks for that link Mikom! - but I'd say the sheer awfulness of it means no one passed down the memory of it afterwards. I used to ask my grandparents about the Civil War and they'd clam up - some things weren't to be spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Do you remember them gnawing at your leg while you were only sleeping

Oh I was awake, bastards didnt even have the decency to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

"Body of Eamon"

"Ah Christ..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

How could you eat meat like that without have some potatoes to go with it. SAVAGES!

Ah no, terrible, terrible event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Unless it was made from real Protestants.

But 'I can't believe it's not protestant' is muck, poor poor substitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There are plenty of accounts of dogs being eaten and of people eating grass. Understandably, tales of cannibalism do not get passed down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Nothing happened to 'us' or 'we'.

The real 'we' have drivethru kfc, so we don't have to get out of the car, to save up energy to fight the Brits for another 800 years. Its tiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Nothing happened to 'us' or 'we'.

The real 'we' have drivethru kfc, so we don't have to get out of the car, to save up energy to fight the Brits for another 800 years. Its tiring.

What an odd statement? Can a Jew say "we" or "us" with regard to the holocaust?

• Advertisement

starlings wrote: »

terrible desperation to do it, and for very little nutrition from the body of someone who died of hunger. :(

It's plausible that it happened - thanks for that link Mikom! - but I'd say the sheer awfulness of it means no one passed down the memory of it afterwards. I used to ask my grandparents about the Civil War and they'd clam up - some things weren't to be spoken.

There is documented cannibalism in the siege of Leningrad. I say if someone has already died.... go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

MadsL wrote: »

Walking Ned.

Night of the Living Ned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

If it did happen, it probably wasn't reported to the newpapers of the time so we wouldn't have a recorded incident.

Pre dating the famine, there was a case of an Irishman, Alexander Pearse, an escaped convict, killing and eating his co-escapees in Tasmania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rhyme wrote: »
    Night of the Living Ned.

Glad someone finally got it. :D

Sean-nós of the Dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Glad someone finally got it. :D

Sean-nós of the Dead?
    Who said we didn't get it?:P

As someone already said, it's not exactly the kind of story that gets retold around the fire of a February evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

There are 2 conditions under which cannabilism is accepted, one is famine, other is a plane crash in snow capped mountain.

This is why its important to stay skinny, survial.

What an odd statement? Can a Jew say "we" or "us" with regard to the holocaust?

Not really, no.
    'We' infers you were there during the event.

'we' won the battle.
    'we' invented this product.

'we' were born in the late 20th/ early 21st century and have never known medieval times, hand to hand battle, famine.

when was the last time 'we' didn't have access to a mcdonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hard to know, there was no DNA testing of burgers at the time!

Not really, no.

'we' won the battle.

'we' were born in the late 20th/ early 21st century and have never known medieval times, hand to hand battle, famine.

So a African American man can't say "We were enslaved"? And in talking about them as 3rd parties we must say. African Americans of that time but not now were enslaved....

These are your own personal rules, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not at all relevant to the famine but this guy has some story.

Shows the extremes some will go to for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

If it did happen, it probably wasn't reported to the newpapers of the time so we wouldn't have a recorded incident.

Reporters. Mmmm Yummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hannibal O'Lecter.:(

So a African American man can't say "We were enslaved"? Answer - NO And in talking about them as 3rd parties we must say. African Americans of that time but not now were enslaved Answer - Yes....

If you weren't involved in something you don't get to claim a part in it.
    You don't get to claim other peoples suffering or victory.
    If some random person in Ireland has a child today you're not going out for a pint are you
    If I convert to judaism tomorrow I won't be saying people killed US in concentration camps.

YOU didn't suffer famine YOU didn't fight as a rebel.
    YOU weren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How could you eat meat like that without have some potatoes to go with it.
    You can't. That's why we all starved. It was a potato famine not a food shortage.

If some random person in Ireland has a child today you're not going out for a pint are you
    If I convert to judaism tomorrow I won't be saying people killed US in concentration camps.

YOU weren't there.

I see, but these are your rules aren't they, as I said? You can have those rules, and the rest of the world will use "we" or "us" to describe stuff which happened to our ancestors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

There were thousands of reports of Irish mothers atein the holes of their sons. But I don't think any solid evidence was ever discovered.

I see, but these are your rules aren't they, as I said? You can have those rules, and the rest of the world will use "we" or "us" to describe stuff which happened to our ancestors.

What was it like during those days ?? How did you ever get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was say it 100% definitely happened during the famine.

Of course it mightn't be the first time such a thing has happened here. According to the ancient greek geographer Strabo, this is what he knew about the irish:
    [Ireland's] inhabitants are more savage than the Britons, since they are man-eaters as well as heavy eaters, and since, further, they count it an honourable thing, when their fathers die, to devour them, and openly to have intercourse, not only with the other women, but also with their mothers and sisters.

He doesn't sell the place well I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Of course it mightn't be the first time such a thing has happened here. According to the ancient greek geographer Strabo, this is what he knew about the irish:

Of course they probably said the same about any of the barbarians on the edge of their world.

It's hard to know what Ireland would have truly been like. I watched a BBC documentary "How the Celts saved Britain" and while it was very complimentary to Christian Ireland it dismissed Pre Christian Ireland as a completely backwater (for the time) and "had no roads to speak of" when Ireland did have it's own version of roads. They may not have been as technologically advanced as Roman roads of the time but they were more than just a trail worn in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Walking Ned.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Night of the Living Ned.

Oh. Oh. I got one:

Ned Flanders is such a............

feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course they probably said the same about any of the barbarians on the edge of their world.

It's hard to know what Ireland would have truly been like. I watched a BBC documentary "How the Celts saved Britain" and while it was very complimentary to Christian Ireland it dismissed Pre Christian Ireland as a completely backwater (for the time) and "had no roads to speak of" when Ireland did have it's own version of roads. They may not have been as technologically advanced as Roman roads of the time but they were more than just a trail worn in the ground.

Indeed! I was in a small museum recently and they had fragments of wooden bog roads (I'm not sure of the correct term) that went for miles and miles, over bogland no less, and they were dated at at least 5,000 years ago.

Not really, no.

'we' won the battle.

YOU weren't there.

Ok, I've got ye now.

We didn't evolve on earth, it was human beings/ our ancestors/apes?

Oh look, there's a white swan that's actually black :rolleyes:

SamHall wrote: »
    Ok, I've got ye now.

We didn't evolve on earth, it was human beings/ our ancestors/apes?

Oh look, there's a white swan that's actually black :rolleyes:

YOU didn't evolve on earth. YOU happen to be a human being.

Human beings evolved. It doesn't mean you actually personally grew oppose-able thumbs.

I'm a European - it doesn't mean I took part in shaping western civilization or have responsibility for slave trading. take your :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Do cannibals prefer ketchup, brown sauce or Ballymaloe relish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I have it on good authority that old Megs granny, the "Older" Meg, who was alive at the time of the famine, attempted to eat a part of Billy "Small pockets" McLoughlins great grandfather due to "the hunger". Well, the story was that she was caught in the hay-reeks "gobblin" the mickey off him, if that qualifies. Not sure if that's close enough to class as "cannabalism", but I for one was shocked. Caused quite a stir at the time as well. Apparently there was a wedding soon after. Lead to the term "shotgun marriage" by all local accounts. So now. "Older"Megs dad said Billys great-grandfather was a corpse if he didn't go through with the nuptials, so in a way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

how do you mean? sounds great craic to me

YOU didn't evolve on earth. YOU happen to be a human being.

Reread my post.

never once said I evolved on earth, I implied we (as humans) did.

Your analogy seems to be, that unless any one of us, as an individual lived through or personally experienced an event, then it didn't happen to us.

Which quite frankly is a ludicrous suggestion/idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Tomás and Peig O Catháin were living here around 1850 when a storm cut the island off for six weeks. Tomás died and his body putrified, but his wife was too weak to remove the corpse. There was no other shelter on the island, so she dismembered the body and removed the pieces.

When neighbours from Great Blasket could finally visit, the “woman was alone, nearly dead from hunger, and a maniac”, wrote archaeologist George Du Noyer."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2012/0929/1224324489471.html
    I remember being told that some pieces were missing,according to a few local historians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

greenflash wrote: »
    Do cannibals prefer ketchup, brown sauce or Ballymaloe relish?
    Pal O'mine Lotion

SamHall wrote: »
    Reread my post.

never once said I evolved on earth, I implied we (as humans) did.

Your analogy seems to be, that unless any one of us, as an individual lived through or personally experienced an event, then it didn't happen to us.

Which quite frankly is a ludicrous suggestion/idea.

Right, so you dont actually need to have something happen in your life... in order for it to have happened to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement