Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,229 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have some good cover, just they're injured too. You can't expect a team to have 3 high quality right and left backs. Central defence is well covered to but no one could have foresaw the kind of injuries we've got.

Who is the good cover for RVP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Who is the good cover for RVP ?

Obviously there's no cover for him but you said lack of good cover is the cause for us not being top 4 atm, RVP hasn't been injured, he's been banging them in, the cause of our failure to make top 4 by now is the number of injuries to our defence I would have said. Chamakh being rubbish didn't cause us to concede 3 to Swansea last week. We obviously do need a spare striker, I'd just disagree with the arguments some people make that we need to sign defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only defender we needed was a short term solution, a loan like Henry but Martin Keown must have turned down the offer :pac: Now, Vermaelen, Gibbs and Sagna are all "expected" back in the next few weeks. Signing another defender on a full time basis would have been a waste of money in the long run.

EDIT: Back to my point about Chelsea dropping points. Liverpool are 3-1 down with less than ten minutes to go. Even a draw tomorrow is now looking like a great result. A win would be amazing but unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Results today were pretty effing sweet I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

amacachi wrote: »
    Results today were pretty effing sweet I have to say.

They were pretty sweet last week too, until sunday evening that is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Looks like he's fractured a cheek bone and is out for 3 months... Even the players on loan can't avoid getting injured

Ya can take the boy out of arsenal but ya can't take arsenal out of the boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think we are gonna get stuffed tomorrow, Dreading hanging out in the match thread

Think we'll lose but I don't think it'll be a stuffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

I think we are gonna get stuffed tomorrow, Dreading hanging out in the match thread

Try being at it. I really hope to see a good match and not a one way thrashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Wellington Silva vs Almería
    Looks to have matured a bit, hopefully theres still hope for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Think we'll lose but I don't think it'll be a stuffing.
    We will win!

Nope, Kenny Dalgish and simpsons GIF there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope, Kenny Dalgish and simpsons GIF there...
    :pac:

Very important game though. A win puts us right back into a chance of the top 4.

Spineless, gutless, cowardly team with a manager who is past his sell-by date for sure. Wenger has ruined the team and killed off the fighting spirit Arsenal was famous for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

not too disappointed with the result today as I wasnt expecting anything out of the game. What I am disappointed with was the players attitude(as usual). Some just dont give two f**ks. How Walcott is still gettin a game is mind boggling. I am actually starting to hate him!

Any way, hopefully with a full back or too fit we can push on and nick 4th from chelsea. It kinda sad to say that really that thats the best we can hope for from this season. Was watching the Man City v Spurs game and I couldnt help but feel jealous of spurs. Fighting for the title, holding onto their best players despite receiving bids for them and strengthing their team. What has happened to Arsenal :(

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    not too disappointed with the result today as I wasnt expecting anything out of the game. What I am disappointed with was the players attitude(as usual). Some just dont give two f**ks. How Walcott is still gettin a game is mind boggling. I am actually starting to hate him!

Any way, hopefully with a full back or too fit we can push on and nick 4th from chelsea. It kinda sad to say that really that thats the best we can hope for from this season. Was watching the Man City v Spurs game and I couldnt help but feel jealous of spurs. Fighting for the title, holding onto their best players despite receiving bids for them and strengthing their team. What has happened to Arsenal :(

WENGER.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Wenger caused that bringing off our only threat for that wanker Arshavin who in turn cost us the 2nd goal, by not trying. Arshavin has no place at the football club.

The game was up for grabs. Reaffirms my believe Wenger decides his subs before games, either way he is absolutely clueless and as we seen today the fans patience is wearing.

Van Persie for me shown it, it just showed his reaction their to the substitution on Sky, he was roaring "No way" when Ox came of for Arshavin, and at the end he had that look on his face. He wont stay much longer if this keeps going on.

WENGER.

It was a curious decision to take off oxo alright who was one of our better players. Why not Walcott who just kicked it out of play all game and blamed other people for not being in the right position

Not quite sure why Chamberlain was taken off for Arshavin. He rarely does much whereas Chamberlain is usually a danger. If Arshavin had to come on, Walcott should have been the one to come off.

Never good to lose but let's be honest, pretty much everyone was expecting it with the amount of players we were missing. Rarely does something positive come from a loss but going from 8-2 to 2-1 in only a few months shows a lot of progress. Still a lot to be done of course, but at least we are heading somewhat in the right direction, even if we occasionally take a wrong turn and have to double back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spineless, gutless, cowardly team with a manager who is past his sell-by date for sure. Wenger has ruined the team and killed off the fighting spirit Arsenal was famous for..

And according to our board it doesnt even matter if we don't qualify for the champions league as we will still make a profit.

Ive totally run out of ideas when trying to describe how poor we are and I'm sick of it watching that crap every week.

Three games lost in a row.

Yawn.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    He wont stay much longer if this keeps going on.

He's already gone. The reason he is playin so well is for his new contract at his new club

Chesney - fine.
    Djourou - Holocaust.
    Per - fine.
    Kos - excellent as ever.
    Verm - pulled out of position too often
    Rosicky - pretty damn good.
    Ramsey - anonymous.
    Song - Poor, bad first touches, gave it away a coupla time.
    Oxo - Very good.
    Walcott - Walcott.
    RVP - Missed the sitter but scored when he shouldn't have.

We should be fine defensively when some of the FBs come back, need to get rid of Walcott though and Song and Ramsey have really been letting themselves down lately.

Chesney - fine.
    Djourou - Holocaust.
    Per - fine.
    Kos - excellent as ever.
    Verm - pulled out of position too often
    Rosicky - pretty damn good.
    Ramsey - anonymous.
    Song - Poor, bad first touches, gave it away a coupla time.
    Oxo - Very good.
    Walcott - Walcott.
    RVP - Missed the sitter but scored when he shouldn't have.

We should be fine defensively when some of the FBs come back, need to get rid of Walcott though and Song and Ramsey have really been letting themselves down lately.
    Song needs a rest, he's played nearly every game and it's starting to catch up on him. He needs a break for a week or two. Ramsey likewise but he'll be getting that when Wilshere comes back. It'll be an easy choice if he keeps up his current performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We will win!

I'd love to know why you thought we'd beat United, got a bit carried away? Arsenal usually become incontinent at the sight of United on a pitch against them, and with our woeful form, lack of creativity in midfield, over reliance on RVP, lack of full backs and abundance of dodgy centre backs, we were never going to win that game.

Arsenal/United 2001 on ESPN Classic, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Don't even know what to say.. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Don't even know what to say.. :(
    Wenger and the board should fall on their swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Completely agree with those player opinions. Yennaris also did ok, at least he has a rb brain and could only do better than that other donkey. The quicker tv gets back to cb and wilshere comes back the better.

Oxo should have his first team place cemented after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Illuminating to see RVP bollocking Wenger for taking Oxo off.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Song needs a rest, he's played nearly every game and it's starting to catch up on him. He needs a break for a week or two. Ramsey likewise but he'll be getting that when Wilshere comes back. It'll be an easy choice if he keeps up his current performances.

i dunno whats wrong with Song but he hasnt looked too interested the last couple of matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Taking Chamberlain off was as retarded as playing Santos againt Olympiacos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Enough is enough. Wenger has to accept responsibililty for the result today possibly the worst subsitution ive ever seen, completely changed the game in Uniteds favour im lost for words im just dying to know how he can justify it, also why hasnt he made any signings its seems everyone in the world bar Wenger can see Arshavin and Walsott are a disgrace to the jersey, there out there wearing 125 yr anniversary jerseys and there pissing all over its legacy.

Also Song was useless today but once again injurys have forced our hand, Coquelin played at left back get injured, send Frimpong out on loan now also injured whos going to take his place to give him a rest?

Gutted, for once I really thought we would win especially after that equalizer.
    Really cannot see us getting 4th.

:(

Arsenal/United 2001 on ESPN Classic, nice.

I'm guessing that's the game where Henry made an idiot of Barthez and not the 6-1 at OT?!

jonny666 wrote: »
    gnfnrhead wrote: »

i dunno whats wrong with Song but he hasnt looked too interested the last couple of matches

Song has been woeful to watch lately. I've said it before, id rather have wilshere replace him than ramsey.

Awaits backlash...

That substitution, as someone pointed out in the match thread, was reminscent of the end of the Benitez reign at Liverpool were Torres was subbed and Gerrard was scratching his head.

Utter disbelief when it happened, I really think Wenger will regret that substitution.

DB10 wrote: »
    Gutted, for once I really thought we would win especially after that equalizer.
    Really cannot see us getting 4th.

:(

Shade's of 05/06, we never looked like finishing 4th, only actually got there on the last day of the season, our best player/striker/captain hasn't signed a contract yet with only a year left, and it looks as though our only chance of qualifying for the champions league is to go and win it.

Thurdsay nights, channel 5 here we come. We should all enjoy 4 more months of RVP while it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

lads relax, do you think the Liverpool fans in their thread have given up all hope of getting 4th?
    I highly doubt it, and we're still in a better position than them.
    Today wasn't the result that's killing our season, the 2 results before it were.
    We actually put up a decent display in the 2nd half, Utd are a very strong team as their position in the league shows, losing 2-1 isn't the end of the world.

Saying that, The Ox has definitely shown he needs to be the first name on the team sheet accompanying VP as an attacker.
    Arshavin has to go. This window. Walcott is not good enough. Either shape up or he should be out. Djourou is not a right back, but that was a shocking display in the first half.
    We need to invest, this window or at the start of next summer, or else someone like Barca will come in for RvP, and I couldn't blame him one single bit for not staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The Ox had cramp / was fatigued / was sick during the week.

I'm alright with that, pretty glad I didn't jump down Wenger's throat now and pretty unfair the way everyone critisizing him when he also made a great Sub in Yennaris for Johan. Yennaris is a very good crosser of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Dya know something and its perhaps an awful way to be thinking but with this current arsenal squad and the mentality in the team i actually knew today deep down in the pit of my stomach that utd were going to win the game.Even when RVP scored an amazing equaliser i think i knew utd were going to score again to win the game.
    Our defense cost us badly again today with TV not cover the back post and leaving valencia in behind him and a combination of individual errors for their 2nd goal.

jordainius wrote: »
    Shade's of 05/06, we never looked like finishing 4th, only actually got there on the last day of the season, our best player/striker/captain hasn't signed a contract yet with only a year left, and it looks as though our only chance of qualifying for the champions league is to go and win it.

Thurdsay nights, channel 5 here we come. We should all enjoy 4 more months of RVP while it lasts.

RVP will be on his bike if he has sense. That team is going nowhere with Wenger at the helm and he is pleasing the Board with his inactivity so he won't go too easily. What annoys me about the Arsenal team of the last number of years is the pure cowardice of the players. The lack of "will to win" that has crept into the side and which the manager is allowing. When did we win a 50/50 ball or a ball in the air today ? Merts header towards goal near the end is all I can remember. We have no players like Adams, Bould, Keown or Dixon who would die for the jersey and all we have is wee runts who get pushed aside and give up too easily. Wenger has ruined the team.

I don't get why people are absolutely 100% positive rvp is gonna leave and i have to keep asking where the hell is he gonna go? He's 30-odd, injury prone, and will cost a fortune to buy off arsenal. I can't see the teams in Europe better than arsenal willing to take that chance on him.

SDTimeout wrote: »

I'm alright with that, pretty glad I didn't jump down Wenger's throat now and pretty unfair the way everyone critisizing him when he also made a great Sub in Yennaris for Johan. Yennaris is a very good crosser of the ball.

You mean you bought that excuse? Id imagine if that were true Van Persie wouldve been aware of the situation beforehand and also through talking to Chamberlain whilst they were on the pitch together and wouldnt have looked as pissed off as he did when the sub was made. I think its a bs excuse from Wenger to cover himself.

SDTimeout wrote: »

Wenger shouldn't play anyone who might get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Even though the decision to bring Arshavin on was amazingly idiotic, I don't hold him at fault for the winner. The simple fact is that Thomas Vermaelen was nowhere to be found. Arshavin held the attacker off for as long as he could and I know I, for one, was frantically searching my screen for Vermaelen.

He was totally out of position and totally at fault, IMO, as he was (in conjunction with Djourou) for the first goal.

I know a lot of people in here, myself included, think he is one of the few great ambitious players in this Arsenal team but you cannot simply overlook a performance like that because you like the player. He needs to be held accountable.

On a lighter note, how fantastic was Chamberlain today? :D He frankly embarrassed Walcott IMO.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    I don't get why people are absolutely 100% positive rvp is gonna leave and i have to keep asking where the hell is he gonna go? He's 30-odd, injury prone, and will cost a fortune to buy off arsenal. I can't see the teams in Europe better than arsenal willing to take that chance on him.

He's only 28 AFAIK and one of the top strikers in Europe. He has been injury free for well over a year. Not even a niggle. There will be plenty of takers imo

Noo wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused: hes 30 odd? they wont need to buy him off us his contract is running down. Many a team in europe would give there left testicle to have a player of Van Persies calibre in there team.

Wenger shouldn't play anyone who might get injured.

Were you complaining when you saw Verm's name on the team sheet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Anyone else notice RVP staring blankly into the crowd at the end of the game? In my honest opinion, I think he's already decided that his future lies elsewhere.. I can't blame him tho. Hes in the prime of his carrer now, and the only genuine world class player at the club.. How long is he with us? 7/8 years? And all he has is a single FA cup to his name...

Oh, and was I the only one that was semi impressed with our Park when he came on? I know he only had a few touches and made a couple of runs, but in those 7 minutes he done as much as Arshavin has all season.. Plus Park apparently can play anwhere across the front 3.

What are peoples thoughts on seeing, Oxo, RVP, Park as our front 3 next time around?? Can't be worse than what we've had to endure the last few months...

You mean you bought that excuse? Id imagine if that were true Van Persie wouldve been aware of the situation beforehand and also through talking to Chamberlain whilst they were on the pitch together and wouldnt have looked as pissed off as he did when the sub was made. I think its a bs excuse from Wenger to cover himself.

I don't see why we shouldn't. Wenger didn't decide right after the goal to substitute him. When we saw Ox's name on the starting XI. It wouldn't have been too far to say he's not going to get a full game. Journalists were tweeting that Arshavin was warming up too. It's not like Wenger saw something positive and then decided he didn't want to continue it.

My main gripe is why for Arshavin. I would have rathered see Yossi come on than Arshavin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement