Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have any of you ever decided to give up videogames completely?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't play video games so ain't nothing to give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

I don't understand this perception that video games are addictive and getting rid of them is good for you.Honestly if it wasn't videogames it'd be the t.v or the internet.Video games at least challenge you mentally sometimes.Some games such as portal have had me racking my brain for ages.People have this impression that it's sad and pointless to sit for hours playing.Well how about making a crap show like the xfactor the highlight of the week for yourself (yeah I know I cringed too).Video games are now just a regular in the house like the t.v and the radio was before.So therefore I say nay! don't give them up because it's an obvious source of pleasure and like anything do it in moderation! (unless an excellent game you've been waiting for all year comes out then ruin yourself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

chrissb7 wrote: »
    I don't understand this perception that video games are addictive and getting rid of them is good for you.Honestly if it wasn't videogames it'd be the t.v or the internet.Video games at least challenge you mentally sometimes.Some games such as portal have had me racking my brain for ages.People have this impression that it's sad and pointless to sit for hours playing.Well how about making a crap show like the xfactor the highlight of the week for yourself (yeah I know I cringed too).Video games are now just a regular in the house like the t.v and the radio was before.So therefore I say nay! don't give them up because it's an obvious source of pleasure and like anything do it in moderation! (unless an excellent game you've been waiting for all year comes out then ruin yourself)

YES! YES! YES!
    I cannot agree with you further. 110%!

You make an excellent point about TV. Someone could watch tv from 7pm to 10pm most to every night. How is that any different from playing a video game. Both forms of entertainment.

And also as you say Portal is a mind-bender. Figuring out how to solve puzzles. Excellent post man.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Can I ask roughly what age people here who still play computer games are? I have a friend, who is around 30, and I find it strange and slightly childish that he plays computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't play computer games any more, which is a pity, I just don't have the time for them. I even got a new gaming rig a while back, but it never happened. I do make time once a week for tabletop roleplaying games though, can't bate the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

okedoke wrote: »
    Can I ask roughly what age people here who still play computer games are? I have a friend, who is around 30, and I find it strange and slightly childish that he plays computer games.

I'm 34. I play games quite regularly either alone, online, or with friends. I find nothing childish about it, and find it preferrable to wasting my weekends sick and hungover or watching sh!te like x-factor for the entire weekend. And believe me, it's funny how many people see gaming as sad, when they see nothijng wrong with being pissed all weekend. I'd much prefer a nights gaming with friends over boozing with friends.

It's a form of entertainment, just like TV is. I get just as much satisfaction (if not more) playing a good game as I do watching a good movie/series.

Back on topic, I'll probably always play games in some form, so long as they do not encroach on my family or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

no i wouldn't give them up, i see as a form of escapism really and they are great when youre stuck inside on a cold wet day in december for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

okedoke wrote: »

I'm 30 and play games all the time. he's right in the key age of gamers these days. are you someone who still thinks games are stuff like Pac-Man and Super Mario? games are closer to interactive movies these days, stuff like Battlefield, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Modern Warfare, all adult themed games with plots and themes that are way over childrens heads.

Take Silent Hill 2, how many people would assume a game deals with themes like sexual repression, death, mental illness and suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'll go months at a time playing very very little. I do find my interest in games declining as a I get older.

That said Skyrim is brilliant.

I think it might be just cause most of the best games at the moment are first person shooters which I'm fairly ****e at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

No more than I'd give up films and intertubez

fk this touchpad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

no i wouldn't give them up, i see as a form of escapism really and they are great when youre stuck inside on a cold wet day in december for example.

Big time, winter in ireland is perfect video game playing time.
    Not a chance I'd give up, unless it was effecting my life in a negative way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Most of the games nowadays require a significant time investment.
    I completed GTA Vice City and San Andreas. Couldn't do that anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They should have stopped making games after this one was made.
    Been playing it for about 6 yrs now on & off but mostly on

Surfing is amazing in css

I'd be an expert in my field at this stage.

Advertisement