Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 --Ryaner--

clayton1 wrote: »
    public order powers i presume?

in a way, the less powers the better, in the sense that more will mean more court dates probably. This can cause hassle with work etc.

I think one way public order powers will be good to have but in the other sence I personally don't want more powers because that might slow down recruitment of full members even more then already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike4444

Hi everyone,I'm new to boards...said I'd join the rest of ye on here...have medical coming up soon...I'm not sure even if I'm posting this in the right thread... !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Mike4444 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,I'm new to boards...said I'd join the rest of ye on here...have medical coming up soon...I'm not sure even if I'm posting this in the right thread... !!

Good to hear. What's the process for you been like so far, when you apply to where you are now ?

Hey MSG 11...story so far is : sat initial interview and report writing back in December 2011...had interview with local sergeant and inspector in march I think..all went very well thankfully...was told by Garda hq my background vetting checks are nearing completion..ave medical coming up shortly...was told I shud make d September or October intake provided of course my medical gos alright..but may have to defer till february next year due to work commitments..don't know wat d story will be untill I ask d boss for time off..could get lucky and get d time off !! I have been following the Garda reserve and other Garda related threads for last year or two intensely just to see wat people's experience and opinions of being in the reserve...u mind me asking ya MSG 11 how long r u in the reserve and wat part of the country ya in.... ???!! Still getting used to dis thread and just boards in general... !!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Hey MSG 11...story so far is : sat initial interview and report writing back in December 2011...had interview with local sergeant and inspector in march I think..all went very well thankfully...was told by Garda hq my background vetting checks are nearing completion..ave medical coming up shortly...was told I shud make d September or October intake provided of course my medical gos alright..but may have to defer till february next year due to work commitments..don't know wat d story will be untill I ask d boss for time off..could get lucky and get d time off !! I have been following the Garda reserve and other Garda related threads for last year or two intensely just to see wat people's experience and opinions of being in the reserve...u mind me asking ya MSG 11 how long r u in the reserve and wat part of the country ya in.... ???!! Still getting used to dis thread and just boards in general... !!
    Fair play that was very very quick going you must have small family or no criminal convictions at all in it have you I'm still waiting on background still ongoing !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Backround checks takes the longest. It was nearly a year of waiting for me. Im a reserve and I can safely say its probably the best decision ive ever made. Its great for those who want to go full time and I say its equally rewarding for those who just want to do it for the community. You see alot youve gota use your head alot. When **** hits the fan your expected to get your hands dirty. Its a great job

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Backround checks takes the longest. It was nearly a year of waiting for me. Im a reserve and I can safely say its probably the best decision ive ever made. Its great for those who want to go full time and I say its equally rewarding for those who just want to do it for the community. You see alot youve gota use your head alot. When **** hits the fan your expected to get your hands dirty. Its a great job
    Yea if I don't mind me asking were bouts are u based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not in it just yet Milke, all going well I will hopefully make it in. I'm waiting since March 2011, last bit of action was a meeting with the inspector in Feb 2012.

Yeah it's a good board excellent for information, one thing the mods hate on the board is the txt speak ;)

Hey smiley how ya... ! Well I have small family on my mothers side but a good few on my fathers side...no convictions...I'm clean cut !! Ah I lived at home all my life the one address,in the same job since college and I single so obviously there was no need for vetting girlfriends side if I had one and as I said never rented before in other addresses and thus no vetting of me from landlords so I would of imagined all this would of gone in my favour and resulted in thankfully me not waiting terribly long for background checks to be completed ! Ah hopefully now smiley u won't be waiting too long more till the next stage...tis a waiting game eh !! Can't wait untill I get started..do the training...and get stuck in...looking forward to it now...

Hey smiley how ya... ! Well I have small family on my mothers side but a good few on my fathers side...no convictions...I'm clean cut !! Ah I lived at home all my life the one address,in the same job since college and I single so obviously there was no need for vetting girlfriends side if I had one and as I said never rented before in other addresses and thus no vetting of me from landlords so I would of imagined all this would of gone in my favour and resulted in thankfully me not waiting terribly long for background checks to be completed ! Ah hopefully now smiley u won't be waiting too long more till the next stage...tis a waiting game eh !! Can't wait untill I get started..do the training...and get stuck in...looking forward to it now...
    Yea hopefully not waiting to long, my side of te story kinda goes te opposite direction ha I have lived few addresses and also have 9 in to total on me checks some of which do have convictions. Sure not my problem this is what is holding me up anyway hopefully not to wait to long. :-)

• Advertisement

Hey again MSG 11...good god..that certainly is a fair aul wait,hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer untill you hear back and it all gos well for you and you will make it...keep the faith sure.. !! And thanks for the aul reminder about just how much the mods on here love the aul txt speak..ahem..I mean to say dislike the txt speak !!!! ;-)

Ah yea smiley I see what you mean..ah sure keep the faith..I would imagine the most important thing would be that you urself don't have any convictions as you are being assessed for the reserve and not other family members but they do vet all your family thoroughly as this is normal procedure for everyone including people who don't have any family members with any convictions..as I say tis a waiting game...hope it gos well for you anyway sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

How's it going folks,

I'm commencing training with GR in September, just a couple of questions if anyone can help me out, i'd really appreciate it....

I recently lost my job, and am currently looking for employment. It's a possibility that I may be offered work in Canada in the new year, and If things don't pick up here I'd have no other choice really.

What way would the Garda Reserve look upon me leaving for Canada say in February or so, would I be able to come back to it after a year of leave etc? Any experience of this type of thing anyone?

Any advice appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

there is no facility for Reserve members to take a 'career break'

you would have to resign

thats the park talking, not me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

djor88 wrote: »
    How's it going folks,

I'm commencing training with GR in September, just a couple of questions if anyone can help me out, i'd really appreciate it....

I recently lost my job, and am currently looking for employment. It's a possibility that I may be offered work in Canada in the new year, and If things don't pick up here I'd have no other choice really.

What way would the Garda Reserve look upon me leaving for Canada say in February or so, would I be able to come back to it after a year of leave etc? Any experience of this type of thing anyone?

Any advice appreciated!

I understand your prediciment and its one that many reserves are in.

Nobody that I am aware of has been given an Official Leave of Absence / "career break" for a year. Some Reserves who have a few years service and who have worked up extra hours may have been able to make local arrangements to take a few months off, but anybody I know who has taken a fully year out has had to resign.

Id also consider the implications for you if you go full time - I certainly dont know the answer to this but if you complete your training then resign immediately how does this look if you apply to go full time in the future?

Does the benefit of having been a "serving" Reserve outweigh the implications that your training cost the state money which they couldnt offset through your service? Im not giving a judgement or an answer - just posing a question.

If your not sure when your going away - could perhaps ask the GR office to hold off on your training until the December / February Intake - when you will be more sure of your future plans? And if your going away just ask them to put a hold on your file / re-apply on your return?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

smiley963 wrote: »
    Yea hopefully not waiting to long, my side of te story kinda goes te opposite direction ha I have lived few addresses and also have 9 in to total on me checks some of which do have convictions. Sure not my problem this is what is holding me up anyway hopefully not to wait to long. :-)

Why did you go telling them that you lived in a load of different addresses?
    Surely you knew that would slow things up big time?:eek:

Cause I don't want to lie , there all the addresses you love at they would know exactly where you live if they think your lying what else would they think I would rather tell the truth I have nothing to hide.
    :-) :-)

Cause I don't want to lie , there all the addresses you love at they would know exactly where you live if they think your lying what else would they think I would rather tell the truth I have nothing to hide.
    :-) :-)

They might start wondering why was this guy moving around so much from house to house. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

How dd your meeting go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Anybody care to share some experiences?

Have reserves been involved in major incidents?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Anybody care to share some experiences?

Have reserves been involved in major incidents?
    You will find a large number of GR's have been involved in major incidents but an open forum is perhaps not the best place to discuss . Remember a lot of journo's trawl the boards looking for tit bits of information.

Sorry you want this person to lie on their BR form. Seriously what can you be thinking ???????.

Raider190 wrote: »
    You will find a large number of GR's have been involved in major incidents but an open forum is perhaps not the best place to discuss . Remember a lot of journo's trawl the boards looking for tit bits of information.

Thanks for your reply Raider,

I was thinking that alright,can never be too careful i guess,

cheers again

From what I have seen of some of these reserves the only 'Major incident' they would have experienced might be perhaps knocking over a mug of coffe in the canteen or losing a biro when filling out the expense claims!

From what I have seen of some of these reserves the only 'Major incident' they would have experienced might be perhaps knocking over a mug of coffe in the canteen or losing a biro when filling out the expense claims!
    Ladies and Gentlemen we have here a joker or at least he/she thinks they are. Now what can we gather from their comment
    Ill informed
    Judgemental
    Un experienced
    and I would say a Talker rather than a Doer.
    Why does he or she go troll somewhere else or perhaps there is a reason for this comment. Rejected maybe form the Regular or the Reserve ????
    Sour grapes or just a nasty personality with little to do but knock ordinary decent people devoting their spare time to a worthy cause rather than sitting in front of their 50inch plasma day in day out scratching themselves.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have here a joker or at least he/she thinks they are. Now what can we gather from their comment
    Ill informed
    Judgemental
    Un experienced
    and I would say a Talker rather than a Doer.
    Why does he or she go troll somewhere else or perhaps there is a reason for this comment. Rejected maybe form the Regular or the Reserve ????
    Sour grapes or just a nasty personality with little to do but knock ordinary decent people devoting their spare time to a worthy cause rather than sitting in front of their 50inch plasma day in day out scratching themselves.

Now who's being judgemental?
    Anyway what are these 'major incidents' that you are talking about or are you perhaps just making it up?

Are you a serving member of AGS realdanbreen?

How have you seen what the reserves get up to?

Or are you just painting the reserves in a bad light for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

, us reserves who are any way serious about the job we do,will not answer such a question ,even more so in a public forum. Put it this way, we go in the car or van or walk the beat with a full time member , a 999 call is received we go and sometimes its only a reserve and a full timer 1st to get there and in the counrty stations you could be waithing awhile for back up to arrive from other towns ect. so we deal with it. weather it's a cat up a tree or something very serious. We have all seen something that we wished we didnt ,as I no I have on a few occasions. But we all new what we signed up for. So hope that answers the qustion asked!!!!

Now who's being judgemental?
    Anyway what are these 'major incidents' that you are talking about or are you perhaps just making it up?

You really think I am going to give you any information on a public forum you can trot on buddy. You have a very low opinion of the GR and I wonder why. If you want info on the GR look up the Garda website because that's the only info you will get from me. Go peddle your negative comments elsewhere

• Advertisement

You really think I am going to give you any information on a public forum you can trot on buddy. You have a very low opinion of the GR and I wonder why. If you want info on the GR look up the Garda website because that's the only info you will get from me. Go peddle your negative comments elsewhere

You said 'A large number of GR's have been involved in major incidents'
    I'm just curious to know what you would regard as a 'major incident' that's all.
    But hey if you want to get all high & mighty , with your 'trot on buddy' thats OK too.Its amazing how some folk get to feel all superior when they put on a unifiorm.

Advertisement