Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to US for first job?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here have any experience going to the US for software related jobs? Just finished college and seems like there aren't that many internship/graduate positions here in Ireland.

I know it's expected for the US to have more of these types of jobs in the US since it's a much bigger country, but what's the supply like of software developers over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

How you came to the conclusion that there aren't many graduate roles in IT or engineering. Taking boards.ie as an example, you will see people having multiple job offers looking for advices.

I would say try here first, bit harder before deciding upon immigration.

But if you have your mind made up, I know you can travel to USA on a one year work visa and try to find a job there. It is an open visa with a limitation that you got to find a job within first three months.

Look it up on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Unlikely to get sponsored for a visa straight off the bat for a grad role. Easiest way to do it is to join a multinational in Ireland/Europe and apply for a transfer over after you've been working there a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

When i researched this Canada was a far better option for roles.

However saying theres no roles in Ireland is nuts. If you have problems getting work here your just gonna have the same problems there. Id suggest going to an agency and asking them to take a look at your CV. Maybe asking someone with experience to look at your portfolio and asking them for tips. Theres probably some simple reason why you are having trouble that needs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I second that what digital society said.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

If you have your heart set on the US, your best option is to take the J1 internship visa (one year long) and go over. You can then focus on getting a full time position at a company that is willing to sponsor you for the H1B. Aggressively change jobs till you find a company that will do this.

It isn't difficult to get a full time position in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Can't say I've noticed a lack of positions for graduates to be honest. Almost everyone out of my class got jobs pretty easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Unlikely to get sponsored for a visa straight off the bat for a grad role. Easiest way to do it is to join a multinational in Ireland/Europe and apply for a transfer over after you've been working there a while.

Just be careful - as some multinationals are quick to mention that they 'sometimes' arrange transfers to other countries, but in practice, it rarely happens.

I work for a multinational like the above. One of my favourite co-workers told me he joined because they basically promised him that in 2-3 years they'd transfer him to the states. After four years and no transfer he left.

Advertisement