Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I forgive you all who have (temporarily) left the church

• 14-11-2011 3:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Let it not weigh on you anymore.
    Indeed remember once this populist fad passes we'll welcome you back with open arms.
    The most enlightened of you will have noticed that a drop in church numbers has coincided with the punishing affects of austerity.
    The power of the Lord reaches that far & beyond, the economic struggle is a sign of his strength & a warning to your all.

So row in, toe the line in future & we'll never speak of this silliness again.
    Oh, since you've been away our weekly expected contribution has risen to €5.
    Amen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I don't get it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Drop dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Poppy thread's fizzled out, Palestinian thread's fizzled out, so it's church-bashing time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Forgive me Father for I have sinned.........and enjoyed it:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

In the immortal words of Ricky Gervais.

Thank god for making me an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

god loves atheists, we dont pester him with prayers, we dont blame him when stuff goes wrong and claim its his will, and we dont use him as an excuse for us not getting off our ass and changing our own lives for the better instead of hoping he'll do it for us.

praise hypnotoad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nice one. Please hold my account open while this populist fad continues.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

\o/ FREE FORGIVENESS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Which Church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    The most enlightened of you will have noticed that a drop in church numbers has coincided with the punishing affects of austerity.
    The power of the Lord reaches that far & beyond, the economic struggle is a sign of his strength & a warning to your all.
    You have to admit, religions have an unbeatable line here. Things going well? God is good! Not so great? God is punishing/testing you!

For myself the whole omnipotent god thing isn't something I can get behind. I mean you either have free will or you have an omnipotent god, one or the other, its impossible to have both.

If you haven't free will, god is all powerful, so he's a prick for sending people to hell for just doing what they are programmed to do. If you have free will, the church better own up and admit god isn't all that.

Ah its a pile of crap anyway, I mean I believe in existence after death and various other things, but I haven't much time for religions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I thought only Jesus had the power to forgive people their Sins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

For God and Turkey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Humans as we know them have been around for at least 50,000 years. The Catholic Church has been popular for about 1000. Its the church that's the fad

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Poppy thread's fizzled out, Palestinian thread's fizzled out, so it's church-bashing time again.

Even worse, the "oh look, another church bashing thread :rolleyes:" people are back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Which Church?
    the one in town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Indeed remember once this populist fad passes we'll welcome you back with open arms.

Amen.

Doesn't appear to be a copy and paste job, must be the acid again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Speaking of enlightenment, you seem to be lacking in that department. I would contend that the drop in church numbers, has more to do with the many, many instances of child rape carried out by so called 'Men of God'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

the one in town...

WHICH ONE IN TOWN?!?!
    Here in Carlow there are at least 5!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Listen Lads, I told yis before, that money was just resting in my account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Speaking of enlightenment, you seem to be lacking in that department. I would contend that the drop in church numbers, has more to do with the many, many instances of child rape carried out by so called 'Men of God'.

I'd say the numbers have been dropping because institutions like the Church are no longer relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

WHICH ONE IN TOWN?!?!
    Here in Carlow there are at least 5!!!

the one that doesn't practice human sacrifice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

They aren't starting to study the religious divide in population from the latest cao until March.
    I can't wait to see what it shows.

Wait, what is this thread about?
    Oh yeah.

Well I left the Catholic Church when I was 12 - nearly 15 years ago.
    So I don't think I will be opening my arms to any god any time in the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Even worse, the "oh look, another church bashing thread :rolleyes:" people are back

And now we're off with the Church bashing thread bashers bashing.

Typical.

Which Church?

Church of Funk.
    Funk is coming back. Pretend you liked it before it becomes big again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Hold on, I'm on your side.
    I'd say the real reason numbers have dropped is that it's all a load of bollix.
    The kiddy fiddling is only a secondary matter.

Passing fad eh? Just like the mullet, which actually reminds me of the church in some ways.

Business at the front, party in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I didn't know that Jesus was shorting the Euro. :confused:

Hmm, walking on water, cryptic anecdotes and financial savvy. Outstanding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

In the immortal words of Ricky Gervais.

Thank god for making me an atheist.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson:

Boooooooring!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Amen.

OK, my cheque is on the way. One of the fairies at the bottom of my garden has kindly agreed to drop it over to you. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

The Church is a lie. Now let's all have some cake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's not a populist fad, it's common bloody sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do you have any evidence that people who go to Church are well off/not impacted by the economic struggle?

If not, why is he punishing them as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i stopped going long before the economy went kaboom.

my main motivation was that it's all a big bunch of pants. and they all take it waaaaay to seriously. and they keep telling me that i'll burn in hell for living my life in a nice, innoffensive way.

go fúck yourselves RCC- if you're done with the innocent kids, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Hobbes wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence that people who go to Church are well off/not impacted by the economic struggle?

If not, why is he punishing them as well?

Remember the Flood? Sodom and Gomorrah? The Killing of the firstborn? Original sin?

God doesn't discriminate between good and bad people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I forgive you all who have (temporarily) left the church

So those of us who have left permanently do not have your forgiveness?

I will endeavor to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Nope. Sorry. Couldn't do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Feeding the anti-Catholic trolls, always such a joy to watch their collective expressions of individuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

That's great father but I was hoping that YOU might lend ME some money. I'll remember you in my prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Manach wrote: »
    Feeding the anti-Catholic trolls, always such a joy to watch their collective expressions of individuality.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of your catholic conformity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement