Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The skinny on Import Duty and VAt

• 03-03-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

FYI - I was just on to the revenue commisioners and they tell me when importing an electric Guitar from outside the EU you pay 3.7% Import Duty and 21% VAT on top of that. This is 25.5% cumulatively (sp?).

The kicker - and what I didn't realise - is that you have to pay VAT and Duty not only on the cost of the guitar but ALSO on the shipping and insurance costs and any other costs as well.

@wit thought up this one? etc
    <pause rant>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yup, and more often than not it still works out considerably cheaper than buying domestically. Says a lot about Rip-off Ireland, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Doctor J wrote:
    Yup, and more often than not it still works out considerably cheaper than buying domestically. Says a lot about Rip-off Ireland, eh?
    Yup, why does anyone still live here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

cause there's more to life than buying ****...that's why :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭den.fitz

does this apply to laptops

den.fitz wrote:
    I dont know. I only asked about guitars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yes.

Gandolf wrote:
    cause there's more to life than buying ****...that's why :D
    That's what they want you to think ..............
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

damn conspirators! all this time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

They shouldnt be charging VAT on guitars in the first place. Guitars are not luxury goods, they are essential.

Gandolf wrote:
    damn conspirators! all this time...
    I see you're one of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ancient1 wrote:
    They shouldnt be charging VAT on guitars in the first place. Guitars are not luxury goods, they are essential.

Well, strings definately are essential anyway. And tubes. And cables. They should all be VAT free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onion-ring

Bought a Takamine from Music123, for €370, got stung for over a ton cos UPS charge for processing the VAT (Ba*&ards), still worked out a couple of hundread quid less than buying it here,
    Just got an ES 333 in New York for €814, me sis carried it back on the plane, no vat :D it's €1899 here,, fu**en mental mark up, I'm in the wrong buisness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

den.fitz wrote:

only if bought oustide the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭den.fitz

thanks Cremo I will go ahead and buy from germany so see my threas "buying laptops from Germany"

Advertisement