Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power adaptor question

Options
  • 18-02-2005 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I've gotten a few electronic things from thomman recently and they all come with 2-pin plugs poking outta adaptors. it's kind've a sloppy fit when i attach an adaptor to it + no earth, so can i use my Irish multi-voltage adaptor to power the units?
    Is the current output on the universal adaptor (1200mA) variable, i.e. up to 1200mA, or does the adaptor have to match exactly the current rated for the unit?

Thanks alot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

What is it that you bought?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The current on the power supply is the current available. If a pedal needs a small amount, it'll draw a small amount. If it needs 1200mA, it'll draw 1200mA.

Depending on how many 2 pin adapters you have, it may be worth looking into getting a European strip board and changing the end plug to an Irish plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

The 2-pin plugs shoudn't be a problem, you can get a 2-3 pin converter anywhere. If it's a pedal it might need either a regulated or unregulated power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

i brought a tube preamp which came with an ac/ac adaptor, also got a drum machine which is 9V/300mA i think and a 16-track studio that's around 9V/800mA.
    Wouldn't have thought you can change plugs to the irish type as the pins come straight out from the adaptor.
    So i can buy a board that has 2-pins inputs and a typical irish plug for the mains?
    Thanks for the info...

Well, if you can find somewhere that'll ship you a 4-6 way plug board with european style sockets, you could change the plug on the end to be an Irish one. It'd be cheaper and probably handier than trying to buy all new adapters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    Well, if you can find somewhere that'll ship you a 4-6 way plug board with european style sockets, you could change the plug on the end to be an Irish one. It'd be cheaper and probably handier than trying to buy all new adapters.

Excellent suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

yep sounds like the way to go aye, thanks mate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For Regulated power supplies the voltage shouldn't change too much and as long as the new power supply is the same current rating or not too many times higher you should be OK.

For unregulated power supplies, be careful, some of them have a no-load voltage up to 1.5 times that it says on the box, so don't use an unregulated PSU where a regulated one is needed and don't use an unregulated PSU that is many times the current you need.

If the plugs fit in shaving adaptors one option is to cable tie them on.

You don't need to worry about the earth if the PSU is double insulated - most are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

On the topic of power supplies, does anyone know where to get a single european->irish plug converter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pretty much any electrical shop should do them. In the long run though you'd probably be better off just changing the plug. That's what I had to do last night with a lava lamp I got in Paris. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, i would change the plug except its a power adapter and plug in the one case, like a phone charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ah poohey. It shouldn't be problem to get an adaptor though in that case.

Pound shops should sell them. They're just the same as the shaver adapters afaik.

Yeah. I ordered a whammy power supply from piedog.com (£24 - cheapest i could find with a uk adapter) 3 weeks ago. They said it would be in stock on the 17th. Then I got an email from them saying that they cant ship it until the 15th of march. I'm less than impressed with their customer service. I'm wondering if i should just get a european plug adapter from thomann for €18 + €24 or wait until the 15th but i'm afraid piedog will crap out on me again...

Find someone ordering from Thomann soon and split the delivery cost with them. I don't think I'm placing an order but if I am before March, I'll let you know :)

Yeah cool. I found out elsewhere that line6 pod/dl4/mm4 etc power adapters work with the whammy...
    I may try to find one of those on the cheap now...

Ah, fair enough so. That's a handy hint.

I've ordered a line6 adapter from musik-produktiv.de, Has anybody dealt with them? Whats their customer service and delivery time like? I believe the adapter is in stock

I just got my ME-50 and Fender from them. If the stuff is in stock, you should have it by the end of the week.

Did they email you and tell you the stuff wasn't in stock or did it say it when you were ordering?

• Advertisement

When they sent me the order confirmation, they said that the items wouldn't be in til January.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the topic of power supplies, does anyone know where to get a single european->irish plug converter
    Hector Grey's had one for €3.75 on saturday - takes the German plug round body, 2 pins and 2 earth strips on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

im buying a boss gt 6b .. soon from america..would a european 9 volt dc adapter work on it or blow it up??????

Yes it would work the pedal input is 9v not 110/130 volts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

good stuff thanks!!

Advertisement