Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

50 million? No thanks.

35 max for me

I'd take him in a heart beat for 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Modric isn't what we need, i would rather take our chances on Cleverley staying fit and being our AM, i think it's maybe time to ditch 442 and go with 433/451 which is quite possible for us even currently with the playerbase we have.
    442 we seem to struggle in too many 'big club' games over the last few years or so but yet excel in others with a 433/451 hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

lordgoat wrote: »

No way! Premier league bias once again :P

He's over rated, slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nuts, absolute nuts.

50 million could buy us 2 pretty dam good players never mind bringing in Modric for that amount.

Modric imo is not the type of player we need anyway. No way for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone who says Dempsey wouldn't improve United is wrong. He isn't world class but he's a great player and would improve any team in the league imo. I'd have him at the same level as Samir Nasri tbh. Dempsey has proved his ability against top class players in the PL and in World Cups and would be a great addition to United even though I doubt it will ever happen.

Orrrrr maybe you're wrong? And that's why he is playing for (at best) a mid table club for the past 5 years and Nasri, 4 years younger, has played for 3 major European clubs and been bought for over £25m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Nuts, absolute nuts.

50 million could buy us 2 pretty dam good players never mind bringing in Modric for that amount.

Modric imo is not the type of player we need anyway. No way for that amount.

I think he is exactly the type of player we need. What type of player had you in mind?

#15 wrote: »
    I think he is exactly the type of player we need. What type of player had you in mind?

The retaining/regaining possession type of player which Modric will never be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

d22ontour wrote: »
    The retaining/regaining possession type of player which Modric will never be.

He's probably one of the best, if not THE best, retainers of the ball in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And acting dickishly is something you and your little band of merry men are well qualified in.

Oh zing! You really got me there.
    You have the temerity to answer someone's complaint about aggression by being aggressive.
    He made a silly incorrect statement and then tried to weasel out of his own argument when somebody pointed out the errors. That is a waste of everybody's time and there is no reason why anyone should show patience with it. My post was perfectly reasonable.
    Maybe your jeans are a little too tight or something but you need to dial it down several notches. This is one of several posts I've noticed your aggressive tones in. This is not your board or your thread but yet it feels like it is. So take a knee like a good lad.

You need to stop posting paranoid bollocks, it is tedious. If you don't like my posts report them.

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you don't like my posts report them.

That's quite ironic lol. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would he come to OT is very doubtful, Schweinsteiger would be the perfect player for us. A great passer, but just as important and something United have lacked is a player who is able to control the tempo of game and there is not many better around then him, great shot on him and scores goals something Modric does not do enough of and its's same with United Carrick, Anderson etc don't score enough.

Claudio Marchisio another player who I think we should look at. His passing is on Par with Pirlo , scores goals and chips in with assist's for Midfielder that is impressive.

De Rossi. Another player we have been linked with lately. Great engine and his passing is supreme.

Realistically im not sure we could buy any of these three, but if we were we could get any of those 2 from 3 for total of 50 million.

I think if Fergie is looking for "value" then 50 million for Modric is insane, when we could get 2 for price of one if looked elsewhere.

Big fan of Javier Martinez when I have seen him too. He Could also be realistic target.

What we need is players who can regain possession have the drive to go forward, score goals and make killer passes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Saw this on a Celtic site, you's may be interested. Apparently you're new home shirt is going to be checkered. I've no idea how reliable the site is

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/celtic-arsenal-manchester-united-juventus-inter-201213-nike-shirts-details_14336

You would hardly play Dempsey and Cleverly beside each other in the middle though? So if Dempsey comes in then you would be dropping Cleverly or maybe one of the strikers. That's a waste of a transfer imo. I think Dempsey is class but we need a CM who can be relied on defensively to partner Cleverly.

Edit: You were talking about Modric not Dempsey I see now. The same point still works for him.
    With Carrick showing good form and if Cleverley maintains the form he had earlier in the season when he comes back , isnt that our midfield problem solved?

Carrick's supposed good form is over hyped. He has put in a few decent performances against weak (and in the case of City, weakened) opposition, you shouldn't ignore the fact that he can't do that when he's put under pressure by tough opposition. He needs space and time on the ball, that hasn't changed in the last few weeks.

d22ontour wrote: »
    That's quite ironic lol. :p

It works for all of us when the argument can go no further :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I think Dempsey is a worldclass player and is good enough for united or any top 4 side, the problem is hes not a central midfielder. He plays just behind the striker and thats where Rooney plays

Was thinking to myself this evening watching "The Premiership" if Paddy Power took money on who would win player of the year awards within clubs I'd be all over Dempsey for Fulham and Sessegnon for the Mackems but of course not playing for the big clubs they won't be anywhere near the PFA awards. Both having very good seasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

50 million for one player!

I know United spent big in the past but in at the moment I can only see United signing 3 or 4 players for that kind of money. Based on Berbatov probably leaving, Scholes 6 month return ending and the injury problems at the back again this season - 3 new players seems about right again next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Modric is class and the real deal. But for £50m?? I'm not so sure.

Players we could get for much less however:

Claudio Marchisio - Quality midfielder! As mentioned above, his passing and range is on par with Pirlo. He tackles and can pass and shoot with both feet very well , also fancies a shot from range. Now a regular in the Italian side, this player is about to hit his peak and would be a world class addition to our side. However, he signed a 5 year deal towards the end of last season, making a summer bid possibly out of reach. You would be looking at £20m easy.

Check Tiote - The man is like a young Makelele / Essien. He is more than just "an engine". This player can pass, tackle (very well), shoot, defend and attack. He links play from the back out wide and also links in any midfielder playing ahead of him in the hole. This player would be ideal for me as addition #1. I'd pay upwards of £15m for him tomorrow.

Sandro - Don't care what people say. This midfielder is in the same mould of Tiote (with a little less skill). He is a beast of a DM. He can tackle and dominate the middle of the park. He may not be a skilfull midfielder, but he is a DM that is about to break into the Brazil squad in Lucas's absense. With Scotty Parker dominating midfield for Spurs, and despite Sandro signing a new deal at the start of this season, he has found himself playing a bit part for Spurs as 'Arry trusts Scotty (who wouldn't, I would have snapped him up!). I'd say he would be available for £15m+.

Wesley Sneidjer - What more needs to be said. £25m+ - and worth every penny.

Others I would throw in include Cabaye, Banega and Montolivo.

I would gladly take any two of these players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

master-t wrote: »

Claudio Marchisio - Quality midfielder! As mentioned above, his passing and range is on par with Pirlo. He tackles and can pass and shoot with both feet very well , also fancies a shot from range. Now a regular in the Italian side, this player is about to hit his peak and would be a world class addition to our side. However, he signed a 5 year deal towards the end of last season, making a summer bid possibly out of reach. You would be looking at £20m easy.

Check Tiote - The man is like a young Makelele / Essien. He is more than just "an engine". This player can pass, tackle (very well), shoot, defend and attack. He links play from the back out wide and also links in any midfielder playing ahead of him in the hole. This player would be ideal for me as addition #1. I'd pay upwards of £15m for him tomorrow.

Sandro - Don't care what people say. This midfielder is in the same mould of Tiote (with a little less skill). He is a beast of a DM. He can tackle and dominate the middle of the park. He may not be a skilfull midfielder, but he is a DM that is about to break into the Brazil squad in Lucas's absense. With Scotty Parker dominating midfield for Spurs, and despite Sandro signing a new deal at the start of this season, he has found himself playing a bit part for Spurs as 'Arry trusts Scotty (who wouldn't, I would have snapped him up!). I'd say he would be available for £15m+.

Italians generally dont leave italy and those that do tend not to settle well ,especially those that come to england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Here is the "leaked" jersey

New Jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

/this thread has gone downhill lately people talking alot of rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Modric is certainly not worth 50m. We need two midfield signings and I would be very happy with Schweinsteiger and Cheick Tiote coming in the summer

What are the chances we will start next season with no new midfielders signed?

Modric is certainly not worth 50m. We need two midfield signings and I would be very happy with Schweinsteiger and Cheick Tiote coming in the summer

thats never going to happen

What are the chances we will start next season with no new midfielders signed?

I would love to say not likely......but...... :(

Also, forgot to say Bastian of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rochey18 wrote: »

New Jersey

Please don't be real....

Horrid.

Italians generally dont leave italy and those that do tend not to settle well ,especially those that come to england

You obviously don't remember Gianluca Festa! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You obviously don't remember Gianluca Festa! :D

Or Benni Carbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Rochey18 wrote: »

New Jersey

MY EYES!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

thats never going to happen

His contract with Bayern Munich is until 2016 isn't it? And yes it may be very unlikely alright, but don't ruin my dreams man.

• Advertisement

Or Benni Carbone.

Stefano Eranio? Vialli? Zola? Di Canio? Di Matteo?

There have been a few, but wasn't there a rule, some national manager enforced, that all players had to play in Italy to be consider for the national team? Could be a reason why few come over. Also the fact the Italian game is a lot slower than in the PL so it's a tough transition. But I think DM / CM would not have a lot of adapting to do depending on formation.

This is quite interesting considering he only signed for them in the summer.............class player.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2075961/Javier-Pastore-wants-bigger-club-Chelsea-Arsenal-alerted.html

Article from December, but only read it now.

Bit of a broad generalisation, plenty of Italian players have settled in england. Di Canio, Pistone, Vialli, Zola, Amorouso (mainly Scotland, but similar sort of thing), Cudicini, Di Matteo, Festa and Carbone all had decent spells in England. I can't think of many that didn't settle. I think Ravenelli left because Boro went down, as I think did Lombardo when Palace went down. Some didn't work out, obviously Aqualini apparently didn't settle, Materazzi kept getting sent off and Dossena, well I'm sure you remember him

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Bit of a broad generalisation, plenty of Italian players have settled in england. Di Canio, Pistone, Vialli, Zola, Amorouso (mainly Scotland, but similar sort of thing), Cudicini, Di Matteo, Festa and Carbone all had decent spells in England. I can't think of many that didn't settle. I think Ravenelli left because Boro went down, as I think did Lombardo when Palace went down. Some didn't work out, obviously Aqualini apparently didn't settle, Materazzi kept getting sent off and Dossena, well I'm sure you remember him

True, but hard to play two AMCs in your team with Gerrard and Aquilani both playing there. Like Veron at United......we had Scholes and Veron there.....not needed. It certainly would not turn me off signing Argentian or Italian players.

True, but hard to play two AMCs in your team with Gerrard and Aquilani both playing there. Like Veron at United......we had Scholes and Veron there.....not needed. It certainly would not turn me off signing Argentian or Italian players.

Hindsights a wonderful thing, but with Gerrard's injuries we should have kept him. We also spent more on Charlie Adam then we have agreed for Aqua, and Adam certainly isn't suited to playing with Gerrard either. As you say though, I wouldn't rule out a player based on his nationality

EDIT: Actually scratch that, I'd never want to see Liverpool sign another English player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

On Clint Dempsey:

I really really do like him as a player. Technically he is excellent and his attitude is top-notch, really works hard. Would I like to see him at United? Absolutely. He wouldnt be in the starting 11, but in a similar role to Ji Sung Park's he could be very effective. And think of all the shirts the yanks would buy having a United player who also represents Team USA Men's Soccer National Team. Good hustle.

On Modric:

People saying he isnt what we need must not have noticed his deeper role at Tottenham. He plays bang in the middle for them, granted Parker gives him more freedom to attack but Carrick would be doing that for us, and Luka Modric gets you goals from midfield. As classy as they come. £50m though? No way. Just because Torres went for £50m doesnt mean everyone should slap an extra £20m on their price tag. Cant be held for ransom like we have been before with Spurs.

On those "jerseys":

I am going to go ahead and call bull**** on them. First reason that sprung to mind was when was the last time we had blue as our away colour for 2 season in a row? We have a system, Red home always, White jersey away one year, Blue the next (with the previous away becoming the third or alternate kit), we have Blue this year, so next season's should be White. Also, normally at this time of year pics crop up on the internet, rarely are they real, these 2 are perfect examples:

barfar@11.jpg
    2010-manutd-jersey-04.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

heres next seasons kits:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

darokane wrote: »
    heres next seasons kits:rolleyes:

Well, they are more believable, and my word (Ray Wilkins has made that part of my feckin vocabulary) that White away is gorgeous.

Apparently the writing on the collar is something like 'made for industry, seeking glory', can't remember the exact wording. Tribute to Ferguson apparently

EDIT: Its forged in industry, striving for glory

Thats real man talk lads, jersey colours.
    I think we should have a seperate thread on what colour skirts to wear with them .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think we should have a seperate thread on what colour skirts to wear with them .
    We should have a separate thread for your posts.

• Advertisement

We should have a separate thread for your posts.
    Who would moderate that, Id still get more infractions than a maths teacher

If you're into that sort of thing maybe you should keep it to yourself

Anyway lads , all the ****e aside , wht are the odds on spurs getting a result and United getting a result.
    I think arsenal are there for the taking , I have a feeling if city are on form <which they probably wont be > spurs will get found out a bit.

Anyway lads , all the ****e aside , wht are the odds on spurs getting a result and United getting a result.
    I think arsenal are there for the taking , I have a feeling if city are on form <which they probably wont be > spurs will get found out a bit.

utd to win but i think spurs will only manage a draw

darokane wrote: »
    utd to win but i think spurs will only manage a draw
    That for me would be a great super sunday ,5 points out of the 6 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Pro. F wrote: »
    Oh zing! You really got me there.

He made a silly incorrect statement and then tried to weasel out of his own argument when somebody pointed out the errors. That is a waste of everybody's time and there is no reason why anyone should show patience with it. My post was perfectly reasonable.

You need to stop posting paranoid bollocks, it is tedious. If you don't like my posts report them.

Your post was not reasonable. He was wrong. Mad wrong but there is a nice way of shutting it down. You acted like a dick. Reporting you would be pointless as it would not curtail your behaviour. You play just within the lines. There is no rule on banning posters for having arsehole personalities.

It would do the United thread no harm. Too many twitter buddies on this thread for it's own good.

Is it wrong to think that Tom Huddlestone would be absolute class in a United jersey? He strikes me as a player Alex Ferguson would get the very best out of.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Apparently the writing on the collar is something like 'made for industry, seeking glory', can't remember the exact wording. Tribute to Ferguson apparently

EDIT: Its forged in industry, striving for glory

The US jerseys had Don't Tread On Me inside the collar. The one prior to the 2010 world cup jerseys.

What kinda money would tom huddlestone be looking for , is he not pretty much michael carrick in a spurs Jersey?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement