Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I didn't think it was up really up for debate, Ronaldo is streets ahead of Cantona as a player to my mind.

Rooney is a better player than Cantona as well imo, although Cantona's influence was arguably greater than either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cloptrop wrote: »
    the really strange thing is itd cause uproar if you said he was better than cantona , im not saying he is/was but there is an arguement to be had about it,,, ok 2 diff players , we could do more with cantona now but if you were say barnsley and you got the choice of the two who would you take,,,,,,,both in their prime

Loved both, but I go Ronaldo. Although Cantona 95/96 season is still the best season a player had at club in my lifetime imo.

Cantona be exceptional second choice to have. Was underrated still by many non United fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

the really strange thing is itd cause uproar if you said he was better than cantona , im not saying he is/was but there is an arguement to be had about it,,, ok 2 diff players , we could do more with cantona now but if you were say barnsley and you got the choice of the two who would you take,,,,,,,both in their prime
    breaking news ,,,,the sun : barnley get to chose between cantona or ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Ronaldo would choose us ahead of any other club, imo. He's still great friends with Fergie, and still respects the club.

DB21 wrote: »
    Ronaldo would choose us ahead of any other club, imo. He's still great friends with Fergie, and still respects the club.
    oh right yeah , thats who fergie keeps getting pictured with lol
    i hope jose comes to manage united and i think then we may get ronaldo coming with him , i just fear it may not be till hes past it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have been screaming for us to sign someone in each of the last 4 windows at least (including this) and I felt we should buy someone the years before those too. I'm not advocating panic buying, I'm simply perplexed we are in a situation where panic buying would even be a consideration.

And well you should be perplexed. If someone had said to me 10 years ago, that we'd have to bring Scholesy out of retirement to cover the lack of midfield quality. I'd have sent them for a psych evaluation tbh.

Blatter wrote: »
    I didn't think it was up really up for debate, Ronaldo is streets ahead of Cantona as a player to my mind.

Rooney is a better player than Cantona as well imo, although Cantona's influence was arguably greater than either.

Such comparisons are impossible to make as each player possessed different qualities. But Cantona's influence on the team and on the pitch, will not be equalled by either player. He just brought a confidence and a belief to the team that Ronaldo/Rooney didn't. Cantona just possessed that undefinable magic factor that you can't put your finger on.

he was like the james dean of football
    and i understood the seagulls poem
    but the excitement whenever ronaldo got the ball when we needed a goal will never be matched,,,,,even if he was in our 18 yard box

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

on mobile but beckham apparently caught wiping his nose in a city shirt thay balotelli gave him!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

on mobile but beckham apparently caught wiping his nose in a city shirt thay balotelli gave him!

article-1326107322861-0F60E34A00000578-48177_636x300.jpg
    Good man Becks :pac:

• Advertisement

all the hatred i have had for db7 has gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Either that or he's having a wank while sniffing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Either that or he's having a wank while sniffing it.

ah even a sexual deviant like becks wouldnt do that in front of his kids

I'm sure he has higher standards too.

just looks like his son is having a joke with him tbh

something like " here dad put this on and see what happens" while he shoves the jersey into his face

becks laughs in response, good natured father/son banter

better for the media if becks who isnt actually holding the jersey, is wiping his nose with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Interesting article here about Vidic, his loss and some positives arising from it.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/12/12/cox-loss-of-vidic-could-be-man-uniteds-gain/

The theme is about how defenders compensate for a lack of pace by playing deeper.

The most interesting points are how Ferdinand has been dropping deep for a while and now Vidic has started to do this and the effect on the side if the defence defends deep, then the midfield has to drop deep, then the forwards have to drop deep. A lack of pace in defence leads to a lack of attacking pace.

United concede 0.33 goals per game compared to 1.3 without Vidic (a statistic rather skewed by the concession of six goals in one game against Manchester City, when five of the six came when United only had ten men). No-one looked at it the other way – with Vidic, United score 1.16 goals per game. Without him, they score 3.1 goals per game.

The addition of Smalling and Jones to the squad is also noted as Fergie's realisation of this problem. He needs faster defenders to compliment the likes of Cleverly, Chico and Wellbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Very bad form from Becks. He should have more respect for his nose. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cantona wants to run for the French Presidency.

http://www.thejournal.ie/eric-cantona-seeking-nomination-to-run-for-president-of-france-324288-Jan2012/?utm_source=shortlink
    FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED and French international footballer Eric Cantona is reportedly seeking a nomination to run for the Presidency of France.

A report carried by the left-wing daily newspaper Libération suggests Cantona has written to the country’s mayors – of which there are about 36,000 – seeking their nomination to run in the election, to be held on April 22.

The letter, published in full by Libération, detail how Cantona wants to “carry a simple but clear message – a message of truth but of respect, a powerful message of solidarity”.

I am a concerned citizen. [...] I speak today more seriously than usual, but with a keen sense of my responsibility at a time when our country is in front of difficult choices and determining its future.

That commitment makes me turn to you because you are in the public; you occupy a major role in the everyday life of your citizens, our fellow citizens; you are a strong link of trust in politicians, in the future our institutions, and social ties that you help to build day after day, month after month, year after year.

If you give me your initials, I shall bring this powerful idea, with many others as determined as me, and I will do on your behalf.

The letter is published on a letterhead reading ‘Eric Cantona: Engaged citizen’.

To run in the election, candidates are required to pick up the nomination of 500 eligible elected officials, of which there are around 45,000 – with the majority of them mayors.

Interesting article here about Vidic, his loss and some positives arising from it.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/12/12/cox-loss-of-vidic-could-be-man-uniteds-gain/

The theme is about how defenders compensate for a lack of pace by playing deeper.

The most interesting points are how Ferdinand has been dropping deep for a while and now Vidic has started to do this and the effect on the side if the defence defends deep, then the midfield has to drop deep, then the forwards have to drop deep. A lack of pace in defence leads to a lack of attacking pace.

United concede 0.33 goals per game compared to 1.3 without Vidic (a statistic rather skewed by the concession of six goals in one game against Manchester City, when five of the six came when United only had ten men). No-one looked at it the other way – with Vidic, United score 1.16 goals per game. Without him, they score 3.1 goals per game.

The addition of Smalling and Jones to the squad is also noted as Fergie's realisation of this problem. He needs faster defenders to compliment the likes of Cleverly, Chico and Wellbeck.

very very subjective use of the stats there tbh

the sample being used is this season?

ok, at the start of the season the team was playing extremely open and offensive, scoring lots and conceeding plenty

after the city game fergie made them play a lot more defensively, a run of 1-0 wins ensued

The team have started scoring goals again recently after finding that better balance between offense and defense, this is as much to do with Carrick as anything else.

The Manchester United defense, and team in general is better with Vidic in the starting line up, no question about that.

Stats can be used to suggest pretty much whatever you want them to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just something ive noticed watching back the game on sunday, giggs was involved in all 3 goals and it was him also that sent the pass that kompany dived in for to be sent off.

2 key passes in the 1st and 3rd goals and started the move for the 2nd. for those who say he is passed it, you cant really argue with his performance sunday can you?

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Don't see why he needs to do this, he will always be - Le King.

With all the smoke on the pitch after the derby game, I only just spotted this....
    Manchester United's record-breaking 2011 was acknowledged by the football world on Monday evening at FIFA's Ballon d'Or gala. After a year in which he led the club to a historic 19th league championship and celebrated 25 years as United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson received the Presidential Award.

Meanwhile two members of his title-winning squad - Nemanja Vidic and Wayne Rooney - were named in the FIFA/FIFPro World XI, a select side of players considered to be the best in their positions in the world.

Rooney also featured in the FIFA Puskas Award - for the best goal scored in the world in 2011 - with his acrobatic winner against Manchester City last February making the top three. However, like Lionel Messi, Wayne was pipped to this honour by Neymar's solo effort in Santos' 5-4 defeat to
    Flamengo.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jan/fifa-honour-manchester-united-trio.aspx?pageNo=1

Didn't even realise Rooney's goal against City was nominated, never mind made the top three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

zerks wrote: »

I hear he's actually not running, but just trying to raise awareness for housing problems, or something like that?

It's a shame... he should be president of a country. Any country!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I guess that puts to bed any question on whether Rooney is world class, in 2011 at least.

So what kind of line up are we hoping for against Bolton? I'm thinking...
    De Gea
    Smalling Rio Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Anderson Welbeck
    Hernandez Rooney

Maybe stick Rafa in at RB and Smalling in CB instead of Evans? I have a feeling Nani will be rested.

I guess that puts to bed any question on whether Rooney is world class, in 2011 at least.

So what kind of line up are we hoping for against Bolton? I'm thinking...
    De Gea
    Smalling Rio Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Anderson Welbeck
    Hernandez Rooney

Maybe stick Rafa in at RB and Smalling in CB instead of Evans? I have a feeling Nani will be rested.
    i think wellbeck will be up front with park on the left if he is going to rest nani,,,, i never noticed wellbeck playing left midfield and im sure giggs nani park even fabio would go in there first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

i think wellbeck will be up front with park on the left if he is going to rest nani,,,, i never noticed wellbeck playing left midfield and im sure giggs nani park even fabio would go in there first
    Obviously don't pay attetion so

Obviously don't pay attetion so
    maybe if he was playing 4 3 3 , but i think id have noticed if he had him in a 4 4 2 ,,,,,,

maybe if he was playing 4 3 3 , but i think id have noticed if he had him in a 4 4 2 ,,,,,,

Everton away this season he played left in a 4-4-2 and played quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Pretty sure taking Nani off in the 60-something'th minute against City was all the rest he needed. I imagine he'll play this week.

So we've given up on Jones then? I can see him starting in CM again. I think Fergie will want to get his confidence up after what has obviously been a tough few games for him.

• Advertisement

carlcon wrote: »
    So we've given up on Jones then? I can see him starting in CM again. I think Fergie will want to get his confidence up after what has obviously been a tough few games for him.

I don't think anyone is giving up on Jones and regardless of his confidence, the lad just needs a bit of a rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement