Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stena acquire Celtic Ferries

Options
  • 05-03-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

link

Bad news I reckon - will just match Irish Ferries as per the Irish Sea route.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

That's disappointing. Lack of competition added to the fact we're losing the only Irish owned ferry company. Perhaps LD Lines will start to introduce more crossing as the timetable at the moment isn't conducive to a 2 week holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Crap ...
    That's bad news ...
    I hope the current CL staff is not under threat and that service isn't going to change (and pricing of course) ...

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Oh dear - this isn't great news unless stena can really maintain the service provided by Celtic link. Their regular crossings, keen pricing and straightforward customer sevice have all been a big boon for those of us who like to cross regularly to France. Especially those of us with pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

So there will now be the same cartel on Ireland-France routes as there is on Ireland-UK routes. Sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Just returned from a 3 month trip to Spain. I thought Celtic Link were really good, although my dog didn't like the kennel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

JonMac wrote: »
    Just returned from a 3 month trip to Spain. I thought Celtic Link were really good, although my dog didn't like the kennel.

I thought dogs could stay with the vehicle on CL? Ours has only been in a kennel once and unravelled the chainlink fence!

No, not on CL. Only pet friendly cabins AFAIK are BF's Cap Finistere.

No, not on CL. Only pet friendly cabins AFAIK are BF's Cap Finistere.

You might want to double check ...

Celtic Link is the only ferry company between Ireland and France that I know of giving you the possibility to keep your dog in the car during the crossing. You can visit once or twice (depending on weather conditions) at set times, under staff supervision.

No ferry company have pet friendly cabins.

Celtic Link also do not charge for pets ...

From Brittany Ferries website:
    "Find out more about the dimensions of our small and large kennels on board Pont-Aven, Cap Finistère and Bretagne, as well as our Pet-friendly cabins on board Cap Finistère."

CL's recent info on program to visit the pet in the vehicle was 10am and 10pm for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Back when Cherbourg couldn't accept pets, we used to trek across UK just so our dog could stay in the car. However, for the past 6 years or so, we've travelled every year with Celtic Link and the dog has always stayed in the car (like most dogs on board).

• Advertisement

From Brittany Ferries website:
    "Find out more about the dimensions of our small and large kennels on board Pont-Aven, Cap Finistère and Bretagne, as well as our Pet-friendly cabins on board Cap Finistère."

CL's recent info on program to visit the pet in the vehicle was 10am and 10pm for 10 minutes.

Celtic Link travels to France.
    Brittany Ferries' Cap Finistère doesn't ...

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/cruise-ferries/cap-finistere :

"Cap Finistère sails twice a week from Portsmouth to Bilbao and once weekly from Portsmouth to Santander."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Back on track,this is very bad news for those of us who use CL. Prob won't notice till next year. The prices will shoot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Prices shot up on a ferry I looked at booking a while back. As with a lot of people who sailed with Celtic Link I used their pet friendly service. I used the kennels and walked the dog regularly.
    Im due to drive back to poland in June and will have a dog with me and im unsure what to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

bombidol wrote: »
    Prices shot up on a ferry I looked at booking a while back. As with a lot of people who sailed with Celtic Link I used their pet friendly service. I used the kennels and walked the dog regularly.
    Im due to drive back to poland in June and will have a dog with me and im unsure what to do now.

LD Lines cancelled and put a lot of passenders on celtic link so that might account for sudden increase in prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah prices shot up and ferry availabilities went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

T650 wrote: »
    So there will now be the same cartel on Ireland-France routes as there is on Ireland-UK routes. Sad indeed.

Especially when you see that Irish Ferries are cheaper than Stena on the Irish Sea, If 'IF' are to be the lowest of the two, then we are about to pay very dearly if going to France for the holliers.

Advertisement