Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slender - Free survival horror

Options
  • 07-07-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an article about this on IGN and thought it looked cool
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/07/07/slender-is-pure-horror

Link is included to download it. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Anyone try it and what'd you think?

And on a related note, what would be a good FPS survival horror? I know of Amnesia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw an article about this on IGN and thought it looked cool
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/07/07/slender-is-pure-horror

Link is included to download it. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Anyone try it and what'd you think?

And on a related note, what would be a good FPS survival horror? I know of Amnesia

Penumbra is by the same people who made amnesia.

Not FPS, but dead space, resi4/5 are very good.

Else FEAR , L4D2, Condemed are all good FPS horrors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Fúck this game. Played it for less than 5 mins and had to quit. I can't do it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My mate threw a little video together of his reactions while playing this. The sound's a wee bit out of time, but still good fun.

Just played through it. Never again. I'm sweating all over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Stalker - call of pripyat with the Misery Mod is pretty survival/horror

kinda need the misery mod though, it's a great game without it but more of a traditional fps/rpg blend because it's just not that hard to survive.. so the horror isn't there

with misery installed I found myself running away from fights as much as turning to shoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

deathrider wrote: »
    My mate threw a little video together of his reactions while playing this. The sound's a wee bit out of time, but still good fun.

Watched some of the video. Great reactions. Think he imagined him when going around those tanks since I didn't see him. Haven't tried it yet and these videos don't encourage me. :) But I will try it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Frightened the crap out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched some of the video. Great reactions. Think he imagined him when going around those tanks since I didn't see him. Haven't tried it yet and these videos don't encourage me. :) But I will try it

Yeah, I thought that too. Looks like it played a few mind games with him. Still though, the video made me chuckle, and the more people who veer towards our site because of it, the better :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The people who made this game are assholes. Brilliant, but assholes.

Some of theses are hilarious. Skip to the 5 minute mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Jesus I though I'd handle this game no problem with all the gorey games I've played! Couldn't handle 5 minutes! :( Playing it with headphones in the dark makes it worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Downloaded it and gonna play it tonight, watched a few walkthroughs and it looked great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Watching some 'Lets Play' vids on this now - fcuk. THAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I think the next game I do a video on is going to be this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdB4Dw97rk

It'll keep me going until a machine for pigs comes out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I feel I should apologise if this thread introduced you to a nightmare inducing game. :)

Felt this comic was appropriate
    http://darkgate.net/comic/images/ctrlaltdelsillies/1341791404.gif

I tried it, and got bored after 10 minutes.
    It did give me 1 or 2 little scares, nothing major.

Is it possible to collect all 8 pages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I played it quite a bit lastnight with some friends, we were all watching in and well it scared the f*ck out of us, the farthest I got to was 6 pages

You become desensitized after a few minutes I found, I did anyways.

I think it's because you see him all the time and just have to turn away and walk/run the other direction.

With amnesia, you never really know what it is you're running from for most of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭ninja 12

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You become desensitized after a few minutes I found, I did anyways.

I think it's because you see him all the time and just have to turn away and walk/run the other direction.

With amnesia, you never really know what it is you're running from for most of the game.

How similar is this to Amnesia ?
    Similar type of game and atmosphere ?

ninja 12 wrote: »

The game only lasts 6 mins so the two can't really be compared. Amnesia is far superior in every facet

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    ninja 12 wrote: »

The game only lasts 6 mins so the two can't really be compared. Amnesia is far superior in every facet

6 mins ? Really ?

Love Amnesia , might try this after the steam sale .

Yeah, as above the 2 can't be compared.
    There is no story to slender at all really ...

It's tactic is to scare you based on "suprise" , walking through a dark forest and suddenly you see something when you turn around.
    But this gets tired after 5 mins...game only last 6 or so though as mentioned above :P

The game is free and a tiny download, so you can try it before the Steam sale and be done in 5 mins.

Thanks for the replies :)

I don't think the game simply has "surprise" type scares. There is certainly tension being built with the sound effects and the limited view of a torch in a dark forest. It accomplishes a lot given how short it is imo

It works well as a proof of concept, and to show that games like that can be made well and have an audience.
    Though the idea of "Slender man" itself can't be taken much further, I'd love to see more games like it being made.

That's hilarious. I didn't know he pops up like that

RopeDrink wrote: »
    , so you look behind you for example and if he's there, keep looking while walking backwards and try get a tree between you/him etc.
    It's the reason I always have and always will enjoy a good horror movie or It's when people realize the tactics, have maps to refer to so they know routes and page locations, know how to keep Slender at bay etc etc that it loses a lot of scare factor, same as any game really.

Yeah, I did this, I wanted to see what he looked like. I could peer in an out, and didn't go insane, as long as he is not directly in view.
    You can ZOOM in, forget which button it is (Z or C or something)...and don't even know why it's in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I did 2 Facecam reaction videos of it.. pretty cool game which made me jump a few times! Also made me purchase Amnesia! Currently recording a lets play series with Facecam for my youtube channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

I heard about this game today, free download. Saw reaction video's on YouTube and game site.
    I of course doubted their validity, donned my headphones, turned off the lights, pulled the blackout curtains to create some atmosphere, turned up the volume and promptly s**t myself.
    This is one the scariest things I have ever played. I'm actually nervous about the inevitable 4 hour stint of heart pumping, spine tingling nightmare I'm about to put myself through.
    Can I stop myself? No. I love it. Will I be able to sleep and dream of happy things? No.
    Seriously. If you want to scare the bejaysus out of yourself and enjoy it (ish) give it a shot.
    I would be interested to hear any opinions on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Played this a few weeks ago, and yeah scared the crap out of me! :eek:
    Its the not knowing whats going to happen in it, and the whole sounds and ambience in it beforehand, plus was playing it with the curtains closed with the bf beside me grinning away playfully knowing exactly what happens in it :P:D

Its a "made me jump" shock to say the least imho

Advertisement