Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gbear wrote: »
    When they talked about Coyle being a manager who played attacking football they were full of **** - long balls, fouls, ****ty pass completion stats.

Rodgers on the other hand - he managed to get his team to score the 14th most goals in the league so he's clearly the kind of attacking manager we need. :pac:

Here's hoping with better players we're not as **** at attacking as Swansea are.

Apart from Suarez, Gerrard, and maybe Carroll, our attacking options aren't a whole lot better than Swansea's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

djPSB wrote: »
    Nobody said it's a sure thing.

A lot of people certainly seem to think its a good appointment.

Making out that it's anything other than a huge huge gamble is silly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Brendan-Rodgers-Roberto-Martinez-Wigan-v-Swan_2766953.jpg

What's going on in this pic?

They were taking the piss out of Hodgson

Roy-Hodgson-funny1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Martin Lipton
    Now it does look like Rodgers for Liverpool http://www.mirror.co.u... If it happenss, as said, think it will be a big and bang-on call by Reds. At the vangaurd of the new generation of coaches. A top boss and a top bloke, who understands what #LFC are all about from day one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Jaysus. Reading this thread, it's like we're hiring Mourinho incarnate.

Tactical genius (who's greatest ever achievement is finishing 12th in the PL). Great with the media (he's managed clubs who don't really feature in the media so his only real exposure to the media thus far is people condescendingly fawning over him). Great in the transfer market (Swansea have a DOF don't they?). Young (irrelevant). Intelligent (never seen him play scrabble so can't comment).

Sounds like a sure thing.

Remember when people were talking about Owen Coyle in similar fashion?

He's in the Championship now btw.

There is almost nobody saying he's a sure thing.

If anything, the consensus is that he is already a disaster.

I hope, for his sake (and for Rafa's) that Benitez gets another job soon (outside England). Just to avoid the inevitable calls for Rafa when things don't go well or we go through a bad period.

I don't think comparisons with the likes of Coyle, Burley, Brown etc are fair. I don't think any of them could put teams out that could regularly dominate against the big boys. (though I admit I did rate Coyle back in the day) There seems to be more substance to Rodgers' teams and their football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan - being binary, so you don't have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

If its the cert that everyone thinks, then the price is too good to be true?

If he hasn't even been approached by Liverpool then the price is a joke!

Anyone have a clue whats going on? Is this all bookie driven speculation or is there another candidate going to appear that hasn't been mentioned in the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd imagine he'll be better in the transfer market than Kenny.

He's tactically better than Kenny.

The pressure will probably be the biggest challenge. Average squad with high expectations.

As a person, he seems very intelligent and good with the media.

One problem at the start will be attracting players from Europe. Most players won't have heard of Brendan Rodgers where someone like Benitez would have a big advantage in that area.

It seems like that will not be his job though. If, for example, Van Gaal gets the DOF job he will be the one talking to and trying to attract players.

edit, That will not be ANY new managers job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

amiable wrote: »
    Martin Lipton
    Now it does look like Rodgers for Liverpool http://www.mirror.co.u... If it happenss, as said, think it will be a big and bang-on call by Reds. At the vangaurd of the new generation of coaches. A top boss and a top bloke, who understands what #LFC are all about from day one

The mirrors back page....

http://twitpic.com/9qqvti

Speculating that Rogers is close to sealing a deal to become manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Brendan-Rodgers-Roberto-Martinez-Wigan-v-Swan_2766953.jpg

"Why the fúck are you giving me this women's head ?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Mr Alan - being binary, so you don't have to be.

Guess I should just be happy it's not Big Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Forget Mick, just be happy it isn't McLeish.

McLeish has been 'flavour of the month' before & actually has a trophy to his name in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tactical genius (who's greatest ever achievement is finishing 12th in the PL). Great with the media (he's managed clubs who don't really feature in the media so his only real exposure to the media thus far is people condescendingly fawning over him). Great in the transfer market (Swansea have a DOF don't they?). Young (irrelevant). Intelligent (never seen him play scrabble so can't comment).

You really are the hyperbole king. :pac: Who said he was a tactical genius? Who said he was great in the transfer market? I'm honestly starting to wonder if you are reading RAWK and then accidentally replying in here.

Well he's better than Dalglish tactically. That's what I'm hearing here.

A quick look at Dalglishs managerial record would indicate that anyone better than him must be pretty special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Kevin Keegan FTW

McLeish has been 'flavour of the month' before & actually has a trophy to his name in England

That's why we try and look past media hype.

A quick look at Dalglishs managerial record would indicate that anyone better than him must be pretty special.

Football isn't as it was when Kenny last had any success. (And I'm not talking about the Carling Cup).

Kenny's tactics last season only really appeared capable of beating the big teams consistently. When Liverpool needed to dominate, they generally struggled to get the results. Brendan Rodgers' tactics have seen Swansea being able to beat big teams and little teams alike.

It does? Wouldn't agree on that.

• Advertisement

Dalglish had one tactic last season that rarely worked and he still changed nothing. I have no interest in his tactics 15 or 20 years ago.

Dalglish had one tactic last season that rarely worked and he still changed nothing. I have no interest in his tactics 15 or 20 years ago.

Very naive IMO to believe that it was Kenny's tactics alone alone last season

That's why we try and look past media hype.

Wanting Kenny out would might suggest otherwise

Very naive IMO to believe that it was Kenny's tactics alone alone last season

Whose tactics were they?

Whose tactics were they?

Do you seriously need me to answer this?

Isn't Rodgers philosophy not massively different?

He's also on record as saying that he refuses to change it if it's not working. Some Kenny was slated for.

People praised his attacking performances but his team was about as limp as we were when it came to putting the ball in the net.

• Advertisement

Wanting Kenny out would might suggest otherwise

Did the media hound Kenny out?

We had our lowest ever Premier League points total last season. That's just one of the reasons I wanted a change. But not the biggest one. The team were going nowhere under Dalglish imo

People praised his attacking performances but his team was about as limp as we were when it came to putting the ball in the net.

That's because their attackers aren't really that good except Sig. Yeah they are all good enough to play in the PL (Sinclair/Dyer/Graham anyway), as opposed to players in other teams (Or indeed swansea's backups), but they aren't THAT good.

Isn't Rodgers philosophy not massively different?

He's also on record as saying that he refuses to change it if it's not working. Some Kenny was slated for.

His philosophy is to keep the ball. But most importantly - press the opponents into submission. Liverpool under Dalglish only did that in "big games."

Er . . . yes

Did the media hound Kenny out?

We had our lowest ever Premier League points total last season. That's just one of the reasons I wanted a change. But not the biggest one. The team were going nowhere under Dalglish imo

They undermined him at every opportunity.
    Perhaps because he didn't leak stuff as much as Uncle Roy.
    Perhaps because he didn't take their ****.
    I could go on

• Advertisement

They undermined him at every opportunity.
    Perhaps because he didn't leak stuff as much as Uncle Roy.
    Perhaps because he didn't take their ****.
    I could go on

Ok, well I don't really care about that **** and it has absolutely no bearing on my wanting Dalglish removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

btw anyone who thinks they're going to see end to end free flowing attacking football is going to get sorely disappointed watching us play under Rodgers. I think he sets up his teams quite similar to Rafa, he controls games through possession, lots of it's defensive possession, they play a similar formation, high pressure without the ball, high line in defense, each player has very specific defined roles within the formation.

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

royaler83 wrote: »
    But Kenny was Mr Liverpool :rolleyes:

Regardless of all that, he's still my favourite Liverpool manager, and would still be happy if he was manager today.

So what do you blame for last season?

Er . . . yes

Steve Clarke and Kevin Keen perhaps?

Ok, well I don't really care about that **** and it has absolutely no bearing on my wanting Dalglish removed.

You asked a question. I answered it. You don't like it so suddenly it has no bearing. Fair enough

Er . . . yes

The buck stops with the manager. He couldn't identify what wasn't working and couldnt fix it.

You asked a question. I answered it. You don't like it so suddenly it has no bearing. Fair enough

I'm not having a go. Just saying that the media had no bearing on my opinions about Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

But the buck stops with the manager TBF.

The buck stops with the manager. He couldn't identify what wasn't working and couldnt fix it.

Why bother bringing in a coach so if everything stops with the manager?
    I'm not blaming Clarke and Keen, I'm just pointing out that your idea that Kenny's tactics were outdated are rubbish because that's why he hired 2 people to coach who were recently working in the game.

Just to say Kenny's tactics were 10 /15 years old is lazy and quite frankly bull when the first thin Kenny did the week he was appointed as caretaker was to get Clarke involved.
    He obviously realised he'd been out of the game a while and sought help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whose tactics were they?
    Er . . . yes

Any chance of an answer? I'm intrigued.

ah edit - Steve Clarke is to blame...right...

• Advertisement

I'm not having a go. Just saying that the media had no bearing on my opinions about Kenny

So you can suggest media hype to others but others are not allowed to you when you tow the media line?

opr wrote: »
    btw anyone who thinks they're going to see end to end free flowing attacking football is going to get sorely disappointed watching us play under Rodgers. I think he sets up his teams quite similar to Rafa, he controls games through possession, lots of it's defensive possession, they play a similar formation, high pressure without the ball, high line in defense, each player has very specific defined roles within the formation.

Opr

Rafa's teams didn't usually keep the ball as well as Swansea, and often I think they weren't intense enough in their pressing. They did it alright in big games and at times looked unstoppable playing that way. But too often away from home it was too slow a tempo and we let teams get on top of us. And the away results often reflected that. I don't know if it was a motivational thing, because I presume it wasn't tactical.

Swansea are not a gung-ho attacking team. But they keep the ball brilliantly allowing them to conserve energy so they can press when they lose the ball.

mike65 wrote: »
    Any chance of an answer? I'm intrigued.

ah edit - Steve Clarke is to blame...right...

Not what I said. Keep reading

So you can suggest media hype to others but others are not allowed to you when you tow the media line?

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself. Alan said McLeish was flavor of the month once. I agree which is why I said we have to look past media hype and look at managers deeper

Kennys not to blame for the poor tactics, it's the fault of the first team coach because Kenny let him pick the tactics. Lol, that makes Kenny look even worse tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Can't believe we are going for Rodgers now. One good season does not make a manager at this level. Look at Owen coyle.

Can someone explain to me why Rodgers got the sack at reading a couple of seasons back?

Kennys not to blame for the poor tactics, it's the fault of the first team coach because Kenny let him pick the tactics. Lol, that makes Kenny look even worse tbh.

That's not what I said. Clarke would have an influence and Kenny hired Clarke as he was a coach working recently.
    This was to disprove that Kenny was just working on tactics 15 years old as pointed out by another poster.
    It would seem that Fergie works better at Man United when he has a decent right hand man working with him on coaching and tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Haha, and when he fails they won't learn or repent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

joe123 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why Rodgers got the sack at reading a couple of seasons back?

why do most managers get the sack? It's because results are shoite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rafa's teams didn't usually keep the ball as well as Swansea, and often I think they weren't intense enough in their pressing. They did it alright in big games and at times looked unstoppable playing that way. But too often away from home it was too slow a tempo and we let teams get on top of us. And the away results often reflected that. I don't know if it was a motivational thing, because I presume it wasn't tactical.

Swansea are not a gung-ho attacking team. But they keep the ball brilliantly allowing them to conserve energy so they can press when they lose the ball.

So Rodgers is better tactically than Benitez too?

I look forward to seeing what flavour of the month you will be championing when Rodgers gets the sack within the year. You haven't learned from the recent past my friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement