Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claremorris to Sligo - An alternative rail idea

• 17-07-2006 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

I have started this new thread on this one with an entirely new idea. I live not far from this dissused rail track, and TBH, cannot see the merit in opening it as a railway again in the foreseeable future, what people forget about this part of the world is there just ain't that many people here, the opening of the WRC for this section can hardly be justified (although steam trains on it would be a great tourist attraction). What does concern me is the loss of the land on this route, being nibbled away, maybe in quiet little deals with IE, maybe by squatting which IE turns a blind eye too but which will effectively kill off any chance of this route ever being opened. This issue should be addressed immediately b4 it is too late.

What I think (for what its worth) would be worth investigating for this section of the WRC is to simply convert it into a walking/cycle trail - take a look at this link http://www.highpeak.co.uk/hp/h_tistbd.htm which features the 13 mile Tissington Trail in the peak district of Derbyshire. This has been a highly successful conversion of an old branch line into a leisure/tourist facility, which has been in use as a cycle/walking route since the 1970s.

The North West/West region is crying out for tourist initiatives - we don't need anymore holiday homes and the hotel sector is fast approaching a huge oversupply situation, so what about this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

I can assure you that despite the hype, even the WRC fans in Irish Rail have no interest in the line north of Claremorris, if there ever comes a time to reopen many many moons from now you might as well draw a new line on the map and built completely new, same goes for the rest of the WRC

The land is not a railway in the legal sense, the line was closed and formally abandoned, Irish Rail have no authority or power over it they don't own it, CIE do. The right of objection to planning permission adjecent to the line would have lapsed also

There is a legal framework under the title adverse possession, basically if use a piece of land and its registered owner does not take action against you within a generous time frame you acquire the title.

Where the real issue lies is the failure of Sligo and Mayo CC to properly inforce the planning laws, basic rule one on the list of a planning application, does the applicant have legal title or legal agreement from the title holder. I somehow doubt anyone bothered to seek such permission and the CC's didn't bother checking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

MarkoP11 wrote:

Where the real issue lies is the failure of Sligo and Mayo CC to properly inforce the planning laws, basic rule one on the list of a planning application, does the applicant have legal title or legal agreement from the title holder. I somehow doubt anyone bothered to seek such permission and the CC's didn't bother checking up

Having had dealing with Sligo Coco planning department I can see the grounds for pessimism, they are truly the most incompetent bunch I have ever come across, they may however actually support the idea I proposed for a Tissington trail type development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

As a hiker and hillwalker myself, I would fully support any idea to incorporate the Western Rail Corridor alignment into an Appalacian Trail type project for the West of Ireland from Inishowen to West Cork.

It's would be fantastic and the WRC would provide a huge chunk of it for free. It would allow the railway heritage to be restored as part of the trail. There could even be oppertunities to develop railway museums like they have at Downpatrick in some locations and there is excellent fishing, accomodation and loads and loads of cultual events along its course during the summer months. Camp sites and hostles could be incorporated into it. Every town and village along the trail would see huge increase in tourists because other than trainspotters there would be a reason to come and use the route. There would even be stuff for them too.

Everybody wins from Donegal to Dingle and everywhere in between.

It would do far more for the West of Ireland in terms of bringing in money and people into the region that a crappy rail service. This would be the perfect solution.

"The Atlantic Trail". Think about it, would be a fantastic tourist project for the country as a whole.

Count me in.

As a hiker and hillwalker myself, I would fully support any idea to incorpoate the Western Rail Corridor into an Appalacian Trail type project for the West of Ireland from Inishowen to West Cork.

It's would be fantastic and the WRC would provide a huge chunk of it for free. It would allow the railway heritage to be restored as part of the trail. There could even be oppertunities to develop a railway museams like they have at Downpatrick in some locations and there is excellent fishing, accomadation and loads and loads of cultual events along it's course during the summer months. Camp sites and hostles could be incorporated into it. Every town and village along the trail would see huge increase in tourists. Everybody wins from Donegal to Dingle and everywhere in between.

It would do far more for the West of Ireland in terms of bringing in money and people into the region that a crappy rail servic. This would be the perfect solution.

"The Atlantic Trail". Think about it, would be a fantastic tourist project for the country as a whole.

Count me in.

Don't need to think about it mate, these are the kind of ideas our visionarys in government should be supporting - the B&B sector is on its last legs and needs a fillip like this - as a small idea, the walking/cycling track would provide an excellent local facility - it would be very family orientated a very safe place to take kids for a walk/cycle ride. Buses could be organised from point to point to allow long distance walkers to do a weekend walk, the opportunities are endless, it is just a matter of the governing bodies aka the CCs and central government to grasp the nettle.

By the way here is a better link on the Tissington Trail in Derbyshire, which was the inspiration for this idea re the WRC Claremorris - Sligo section, I just think this would be a fantastic tourist attraction for this part of the country. http://www.cycle-tracks.co.uk/Cycling/TissingtonFrame.html would this be possible in Ireland????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

westtip wrote:
    Buses could be organised from point to point to allow long distance walkers to do a weekend walk
    I'm not sure how much organising would be needed, seeing as the route crosses so many bus routes.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    I'm not sure how much organising would be needed, seeing as the route crosses so many bus routes.

Victor my point was really to utilise existing buses with good timetables and information centres on the walking/cycling route, so people could plan their routes around the bustimetables - for example the old station building at Tubercurry (I am assuming there is one!) could be used for such a venture. Actually, I think on the Tissington trail in Derbyshire they do have drop off minibuses that call to various points on the route in the peak periods, so you can plan a linear walk and get a bus back to your car. Can't say we would ever get the critical mass of walkers for that here, nor could I ever hope for this level of civic organisation in Ireland - but something surely could be organised ....

Advertisement