Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maplin GPS for €159

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More than 5 minutes for me. The morning after I set it up, I took it out to the car, turned it on and waited 5 minutes. Nothing happened. Left it on, drove to work, looked at it when I got in, and it was working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

foxirl wrote:
    Ya I tried it outside and gave it about 5 mins but no joy.

Cheers

Mine took a while to lock on too. Do you have the antenna extended?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tomtom does seem to take a lot longer than than the original software doesn't it. At thing I've tried is turning it off while it still has signal and turning it back on when it would have signal (as opposed to going into an underground carpark then turning it off/on).

Part of the problem might be to do with having to exit the software to put the device in standby, meaning the gps device gets deactivated and reactivated each time. I'm going to try tonight to setup the button to put it in standby without closing tomtom, hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

ok I have a 3 hour drive ahead of me this evening so I will give it a try.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

foxirl wrote:
    It gets worse. I have now loaded TomTom on it and started it up. It says 'No GPS signal' The satelite bars are all blank.

Anyone else have this problem. Looks like I'll be bringing it back

In the change preferences/ show gps status set the GPS to "other NEMA" and speed to "9600 baud".
    You should get a result in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

@ the edge: that hannahilton video looks interesting ;)
    How did you get it to pick up the irish speed cameras, the poi I had only has uk cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Wolfman-2

@ The Edge - If I can get mine to do what you have achieved, then I'd be a happy punter.

Do answer previous post!!!

lafors wrote:
    How did you get it to pick up the irish speed cameras, the poi I had only has uk cameras?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Choose TomTom OV2 and choose the EUR POI.

Just unzip the files into your Map folder the the AytoBe and enable them in the POI options

The_Edge wrote:
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Choose TomTom OV2 and choose the EUR POI.

Just unzip the files into your Map folder the the AytoBe and enable them in the POI options

Do you have to pay to get them?
    Are they not available for free?

• Advertisement

lafors wrote:
    Do you have to pay to get them?
    Are they not available for free?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

The_Edge wrote:

Jaysus I must be blind, still can't see where to download them on that page :o
    Thanks for the file.

Quickie question... I don't really want to stick this to the windscreen, and would much rather some way to secure it somewhere lower.

Maybe something that fits into or attaches to the cup holder? (that I can stick the suction cup to). Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Anyone else have a problem installing the tomtom maps, when I do the full restore for some reason the Aytobe doesn't go to Windows CE mode, any suggestions?

Make sure you're copying the INF file and running the reset program. Restoring the backup on its own isn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

TmB wrote:
    Make sure you're copying the INF file and running the reset program. Restoring the backup on its own isn't enough.
    Will give it a lash thanks

• Advertisement

I assume you're seeing the desktop (my Computer etc.), but just not the Start Menu?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you don't see the desktop, when I did it I was at the Ayatobe main menu (where you can choose between maps, media player and settings iirc), after doing the restore it stayed there and didn't give me the CE desktop, but it did when I clicked on maps again. If you can't get the desktop maybe try going out to the media player, coming out of that and trying to go back into the maps.

stevenmu wrote:
    If you don't see the desktop, when I did it I was at the Ayatobe main menu (where you can choose between maps, media player and settings iirc), after doing the restore it stayed there and didn't give me the CE desktop, but it did when I clicked on maps again. If you can't get the desktop maybe try going out to the media player, coming out of that and trying to go back into the maps.

Ah crap I let the battery die again.....
    Turned it on and it goes t the blue windows screen with my compluter icon (no windows bar at the bottom).
    Hit reset - yes, then reset - no (shuts down).
    Then turn it on manually, afaik I should get the white win ce screen here with toolbar but am not? So applied the reg file, start gps software, works fine. Now the volume button on the side works, and I can switch it off with the front power button.

I still prefer the original way (ie start menu bit).
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32HYVQ9X

Unzip that to the device. and run SIPrc.exe to bring up the keyboard.
    I've added the reg editor there too.

Remember, Ctrl-Esc will bring up your start menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Lads,

Little help. Got the aytobe via ebay. Can't get it connected via activesync. I've got the latest version (4.5) but it keeps giving an error message about not being able to connect and ensure the PC firewall isn't blocking the device. I would like to just copy the tom tom files onto an SD card and go ahead but at first attempt (and second, and third...) this isn't working. For those who just updated using a card reader can you tell me what files/folders you put onto the SD card and was there anything else you had to do.

Any advice on active sync also welcome but if the card reader route works then I'm happy to use that.

Cheers.

Mods if this is better somewhere else feel free to move it but I see some people on this thread just used a card reader and got it working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bertha

The_Edge wrote: »
    Your right...it's this one:
    www.aytobe.com

On the back of mine it says "ATB083"

Ebay

On the back of mine also says ATB083 but my unit lost the memory card I bought a new card but i dont know how to load the maos and music from the internet ,Can you HELP?, if you ca please email me on j.ber@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks JOE

Advertisement