Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the way around the M50 Vs Through Town

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,
    For the last year I've commuted from Wexford to Clonshaugh/Coolock which is a bit mad I know. I think after last week's "four hours to get home friday" I've decided to maybe look at an alternative route through town. I wonder if anyone could help advise me?. I'm normally in work by 7am & don't leave till about 6:30pm most days so I was wondering if there are any decent routes through town that would save me the M50 Hassle ( & the toll :-).
    Madness doesn't usually start on the M50 till Tallaght so I would consider a route from Dundrum / Rathmines way as I stay in Dundrum a night a week.

Any help appreciated as my family would like to see me home from time to time.

Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Come off at firhouse/ballyboden (one after Tallaght) head all the way down that road to Sandyford... from sandyford head out on to N11 and enjoy! Will still probably be busy BUT you will not be as badly stuck as the M50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If you are in work by 7am you should be fine if you can get into the city by 06:15/06:30 once you hit the city there is no traffic out to Coolock.I think you are mad using the M50 its actually a longer way and by the sound of it may have more traffic that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Would you not be better off trying to cut across to the east link and then up to Coolock that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Your journey to work (7am start) via the M50 at that time of the morning should not be too much of a problem. I reckon you hit the toll at about 6.40am, roll on to the M1 interchange, jump off at Santry and bobs your uncle. I know its busy, but its moving a lot quicker than versus same time in the evening.

Your return journey (departing work at 6.30pm) is different. From experience, I'd recommend you follow the same route home and inch through the traffic. The only alternative that you could try is to head down the opposite direction (Oscar Traynor road) passed Cadburys, across the Malahide road, all the way to the coast road, swing right and head against the grain to Clontarf, then take the Alfie Byrne road, East wall road and over the east link and onto the N11 via Sydney Parade.

In reality though, the M50 and all its crap will probably be the same journey time overall. Alas, everyone is trying a different route and its all banged up regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, move?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had a week to experiment & finding my trip through town much easier. Ok I've had to use the M50 one day when I was running late but will stick to my new route through the Centre. It's a 9 mile trek instead of 22miles around the M50 & No toll.

Thanks to all that replied

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had a week to experiment & finding my trip through town much easier. Ok I've had to use the M50 one day when I was running late but will stick to my new route through the Centre. It's a 9 mile trek instead of 22miles around the M50 & No toll.

Enjoy it for the 6 weeks you can. I hope you've not got your hopes up too much. I'm sure we'd all love to hear back from you when September kicks in.

There is little or no trafic in town at the moment.

Advertisement