Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Taxi unions announce 24-hour stoppage

Options
  • 12-07-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0712/taxi.html
    Taxi unions announce 24-hour stoppage

12 July 2006 09:00

The three main unions representing taxi drivers have announced a nationwide 24-hour withdrawal of services by their members next week.

The stoppage will come into effect at 5am on Monday morning next, 17 July, and continue until 5am the following morning.

The unions say the action is being taken due to the failure of the Commissioner for Taxi Regulation to recognise the concerns of their members in an action plan for reform of the sector.
    Advertisement

The announcement was made in newspaper advertisements today by the Irish Taxi Drivers Federation, the National Taxi Drivers Union and SIPTU.

They say such action will continue on an ongoing basis and will reach a peak in September.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The unions say the action is being taken due to the failure of the Commissioner for Taxi Regulation to recognise the concerns of their members in an action plan for reform of the sector.

You know if they let the public know what their problem was rather than talking complete rubbish, people might have sympathy for them. As it stands everyone is going to hate taxi drivers more.

Gun. Shoot. Foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

You know if they let the public know what their problem was rather than talking complete rubbish, people might have sympathy for them. As it stands everyone is going to hate taxi drivers more.

Gun. Shoot. Foot.

^^^Knee-jerk reaction of a simpleton (probably Sunday Independent reader)^^^

The reason taxi drivers are going on strike is because they're effectively having a pay decrease imposed on them because of the decisions of some well-meaning government body (note how the pay of those making these decisions is indexed linked to any national pay agreements).

There is no worker in this country who'll stand for a pay decrease. I feel for the taxi drivers - there are 1000s more taxis on the roads, more and more overheads, poor traffic, the airport surcharge will be abolished, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Cantab wrote:
    - there are 1000s more taxis on the roads, more and more overheads, poor traffic, the airport surcharge will be abolished, etc.

Yeah, my heart bleeds.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As these guys are self-employed, maybe some drivers cannot afford to take a day off.

What will happen if some drivers are at the ranks on Monday?
    Will other militant taxi drivers be standing around to see this doesn't happen.

Would any driver be willing to "cross the picket-line"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

micmclo wrote:
    As these guys are self-employed, maybe some drivers cannot afford to take a day off.

What will happen if some drivers are at the ranks on Monday?
    Will other militant taxi drivers be standing around to see this doesn't happen.

Would any driver be willing to "cross the picket-line"?

Well I believe this union only represents about one fifth of Taxi drivers, so it looks like there will still be lots of Taxis around on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Cantab. wrote:

The reason taxi drivers are going on strike is because they're effectively having a pay decrease imposed on them because of the decisions of some well-meaning government body (note how the pay of those making these decisions is indexed linked to any national pay agreements).

There is no worker in this country who'll stand for a pay decrease. I feel for the taxi drivers - there are 1000s more taxis on the roads, more and more overheads, poor traffic, the airport surcharge will be abolished, etc.

They get an airport surchange and then go the 'long way around' How many people know if others who got this? I know two people.
    One fella I know noticed that the meter had jumped by ten euro and when he questioned the driver he said "oh, it does that sometimes" and removed the ten euro somehow!

Overheads? Anyone else see the 06 Bentley with a taxi plate in Dublin? They do just fine mate.

Let them stike, the whole country disagrees with this airport charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cantab. wrote:
    Hey, there no need to call someone a Sunday Independent reader. Come back in a week.

FWIW I used to read the Independent purely for the Dilbert comic at the back, but I stopped opening the paper in the newsagents to pull that stunt after I found the Dilbert website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

FWIW I used to read the Independent purely for the Dilbert comic at the back, but I stopped opening the paper in the newsagents to pull that stunt after I found the Dilbert website

Are we the same person? I used to do the same thing and stopped for the same reason.... Let's start a gang! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

This strike is a total pain in the arse. I'm working in a guest house and have a heap of guests who need to get to the airport early tomorrow morning....

some of these poor saps have already suffered transport woe last week during the various bomb threats and strikes at dublin airport.

They really don't have a good impression of Ireland at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

RuggieBear wrote:
    This strike is a total pain in the arse. I'm working in a guest house and have a heap of guests who need to get to the airport early tomorrow morning....

some of these poor saps have already suffered transport woe last week during the various bomb threats and strikes at dublin airport.

They really don't have a good impression of Ireland at all.

Could you try to hire a mini bus to get them to the aircoach route or the airport? Some Hackney companies must also be operating given their mutual dislike of each other.

Diaspora wrote:
    Could you try to hire a mini bus to get them to the aircoach route or the airport? Some Hackney companies must also be operating given their mutual dislike of each other.

I've rung heaps of the hackney's but it's like xmas for them....all the ones i've tried (about 8) are fully booked already.

I'm sending my guests to the Aircoach bus but alot of them have golf clubs and loads of bags so while it is possible it is very awkward.... i suppose i should count my blessings that we are close enough to the aircoach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

RuggieBear wrote:
    I've rung heaps of the hackney's but it's like xmas for them....all the ones i've tried (about 8) are fully booked already.

I'm sending my guests to the Aircoach bus but alot of them have golf clubs and loads of bags so while it is possible it is very awkward.... i suppose i should count my blessings that we are close enough to the aircoach.

Unless you are near the start of the route they might be in trouble there too, I'd expect a lot of people will be doing the same.

If you had posted this up earlier I could have arranged a coach for you, too late now though, I don't have the keys.

oh jesus:(

paulm17781 wrote:
    Are we the same person? I used to do the same thing and stopped for the same reason.... Let's start a gang! :D

Tell me your password and I'll compare it with mine :D

John R wrote:

If you had posted this up earlier I could have arranged a coach for you, too late now though, I don't have the keys.

ah no worries....thanks any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Slightly OT but can a taxi driver also have a hackney licence?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

A driver who has a PSV badge (That's the brass badge a cab driver wears while working) is entitled to drive a Hackney or Taxi with that badge. A car cannot however be licensed as both a hackney (Private Hire Vehicle) and a Taxi (Public Hire Vehicle) as a taxi must have a roofsign denoting the plate number, a meter and printer and a ratecard, whereas a hackney is not allowed to have a metre or a roofsign.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had a vision of some drivers doing a 'quick change' for today!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I know someone who's a taxi driver and he went to work as normal today,he earns €1,000+ a week more than most people with office jobs,etc,he himself said a lot of them are a shower of moaning bas***ds so there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

mike65 wrote:
    I had a vision of some drivers doing a 'quick change' for today!

Mike.

Well, a fair few taxi's of one of Dublin's bigger cab company were working without their roofsigns on today, so they were as good as doing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/8484651?view=Eircomnet
    Up to 14,000 drivers to join 24-hour taxi strike this morning
    Monday, 17th July, 2006

A taxi dispute across the State due to begin today at 5am could see up to 14,000 taxi drivers off the roads for 24 hours in protest at planned changes over charges.

Pickets will be placed at taxi ranks in every county in the voluntary dispute. The pickets will also be placed on the rank at Dublin airport, where 2,000 drivers operate. The unions say they are likely to participate fully as they would be hardest hit by the changes.

At Dublin airport, bus companies are preparing contingency operations to meet the increased demand and hackney drivers will be operating as normal.

The taxi drivers are protesting over a new national taxi fare which comes into force in September. Extra charges for luggage and a €1.50 hiring charge for picking up passengers at Dublin airport will be abolished.

Members of the three main taxi unions: the Irish Taxi Drivers' Federation, the National Taxi Drivers' Union and Siptu, will take part. They claim that taxi regulator Ger Deeling has failed to recognise their concerns about the abolition of charges.

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus, which has between 15 and 17 dedicated Airlink buses and several suburban bus routes operating between the airport and the city centre, said they were at full capacity.

"It is a case of monitoring it and see how we are," she said.

There would be two Dublin Bus inspectors out at the airport who will be in touch with the depots during the day, she said.

Aircoach, the private coach operator, will be increasing its frequency on the route to and from Dublin city centre to every 10 minutes, instead of 20 minutes, and will increase its capacity from 18 coaches during the day to 28. They will run from 5am.

A Dublin Airport Authority spokeswoman said there was not a problem with car parking as most people were just dropped at the airport by car. She said there were over 800 buses into and out of the airport every day. Extra airport staff would be on the ground directing people and advising them on alternatives to taxis particuarly those coming in as they would not be aware of the strike.

National Taxi Drivers' Union general secretary Tommy Gorman said they had thought there might be a change in the plan on Friday.

"We thought there might be some form of going back to the table, but that didn't happen so it is going ahead," he said.

President of the Irish Taxi Drivers' Federation, John Ussher, said the stoppage was voluntary.

"It's being portrayed as an airport dispute but that's not true as the changes affect taxi drivers in different ways in different parts of the country," he said.

Christy Humphreys, of the Irish Hackney Drivers' Association, said they had 10,000 hackney cab drivers throughout the country and 2,000 in Dublin, including a minority at the airport. "We are not backing the stoppage and our cabs will be fully operational," he said.

Yesterday, Seán Murphy,director of policy of business organisation Chambers Ireland, criticised the stoppage.

"The unions have called this strike over two small elements of what is a very comprehensive restructuring of the entire taxi fares' system which has seen increases in some areas and decreases in others," he said.

The taxi regulator's action plan was the culmination of a process commenced under the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 and involved widespread consultation with all stakeholders, including drivers and unions that began in 2001, he said.
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/8484363?view=Eircomnet
    Thousands of taxi drivers strike over new charges
    Monday, 17th July, 2006

Thousands of taxi drivers across the State have begun a 24-hour work stoppage in protest at planned changes over fares.

Pickets were placed at taxi ranks at 5am in every county in the voluntary dispute. National Taxi Drivers' Union president Tommy Gorman told ireland.com he had been out speaking to members on the picket lines today. He believed approximately 95 per cent of drivers were taking part in the strike action.

"There were always 2,500-3,000 drivers who were not members of any organisation so we cannot control whether or not they work," he said.

"But I think if I saw 40 or 50 cars on the road that would be all."

Mr Gorman acknowledged there would be inconvenience to members of the public.

"We gave a clear indication last Monday that this action was going to take place, so we gave plenty of notice. Obviously there is going to be inconvenience and we do apologise for that."

Mr Gorman said the union will tomorrow examine correspondence received from the Taxi Regulator's office last Friday with a view to opening talks on the controversial areas of the proposed reforms in the industry. However, he believed there was no point in sitting down to talks if there was not "flexibility" on the contentious issues.

The pickets were also placed on the rank at Dublin airport, where 2,000 drivers operate. Unions say they are likely to participate fully as they would be hardest hit by the changes.

At Dublin airport, bus companies have put contingency operations in place to meet the increased demand and hackney drivers will be operating as normal.

The taxi drivers are protesting over a new national taxi fare which comes into force in September. Extra charges for luggage and a €1.50 hiring charge for picking up passengers at Dublin airport will be abolished.

The strike is a joint action by Siptu, the NTDU and the Irish Taxi Drivers' Federation, which between them represent around 14,000 of the 17,000 drivers nationwide. They claim that taxi regulator Ger Deeling has failed to recognise their concerns about the abolition of charges.

The taxi regulator's action plan was the culmination of a process commenced under the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 and involved widespread consultation with all stakeholders, including drivers and unions that began in 2001, he said.

President of the National Taxi Drivers' Union Tommy Gorman said the proposed standardised taxi fare would result in a loss of income for taxi drivers in parts of the country where there was a minimum charge of €6 per day and €6.50 per night.

"Those areas would show a 22pc loss. We can understand putting a national fare structure in place but is it fair to ask people in these nine areas to work at a reduced rate when oil prices are rising all the time," he said on RTÉ's Morning Irelandprogramme. "Now to ask them to work for less in a climate where we're paying more to operate, you can't operate a taxi without fuel." Mr Gorman said he believed about 85 per cent of taxis operating out of Dublin Airport were on strike today.

Some drivers were operating to the airport but were not picking up fares there.

Taxi drivers are objecting to the planned abolition of a 70c charge to customers for a pick-up at the airport and they also reject plans to abolish a charge they currently impose for luggage.

Taxi regulator Ger Deering said what was really happening was a "re-balancing" of fares.

"The minimum charges around the country range from €2.80 to €6 and this would be from one provincial town to another.

"There are 36 different fares around the country. Consumers were saying they were very confused and they couldn't understand this.

"They wanted and drivers wanted less hardship in having to explain the fares to people. So what we're doing is re-balancing fares and it's not as simple as to say that someone will lose 22 per cent.

"For example, if someone is currently on €6, that means there's probably a longer distance included, and what they're actually doing is discouraging taxi use." "My primary concern is the taxi industry and particularly taxi passengers.

"If I allow a situation where any authority, any organisation simply puts on a charge and that charge is automatically passed onto the customers, we could have this charge replicated right across the country at all transport terminals."

"This charge has been agreed between the taxi unions and Dublin Airport. I understand, from Dublin Airport, that there is some flexibility around the charge. But that is a matter between Dublin Airport and the taxi unions."

"What I have to do is ensure that charges can't just simply be imposed on taxi customers." "There will be a taxi service throughout the country. A lot of taxi drivers have contacted us and said they want to provide a service."

A spokeswoman for the Dublin Airport Authority said there were currently no taxis at the rank in the airport and there was a picket at the main entrance.

"We have got a lot of customer service people on the ground and signage to indicate the alternative forms of transport," she said.

"It's mostly passengers coming in to the airport who are not aware of the situation. We understand both Dublin Bus and Aircoach have put in place extra services and the buses will fill up fairly quickly."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Taxis down here were pretty much unaffected by this strike. some things that the cab drivers I had yesterday were saying were. "This is a Dublin problem and doesn't affect us." and "The NTDU ain't going to pay my mortgage and there is nothing for me in this dispute."

Greedy dublin taxi drivers trying to bring the rest of the country to a halt.

well thanks to those greedy fucks, i got shouted at by some high strung yanks who absolutely refused to accept that there was no way for me to get them a car to take them to the airport.

I must have called 15 hackney and or taxi companies. ( the main fear i gather is that they were afraid of getting black listed/ recognised by the more militant members of the unions).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Donabate beach was full of off duty taxis yesterday - the drivers enjoying the fine weather with their families/mates. There mustn't have been too many manning the pickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Travelling across the city twice yesterday, I was amazed at how little taxi drivers were actually protesting. I passed 4 ranks and there were only two drivers with signs. As most taxi drivers will tell you, they usually take Monday off anyway, so I reckon they just treated yesterday as a normal. Had drivers decided to do a 24 hour stoppage over the weekend we would have seen some divides among drivers.
    I don't support the taxi drivers at all, rather than explore the correct industrial procedures with their problems, they take it out on the public, the very same public who pay their wages.
    A few things which came out of yesterdays stoppage was that anybody who disliked taxi drivers before was given even more reasons yesterday.
    Dublin Bus have to be applauded for supplying extra buses on the 747 route yesterday, and I feel any passengers who used the bus realised that it is excellent value at just 5 euro to travel in comfort and may use it again instead of the taxi.
    As a bus user, it was great to see bus lanes clear for buses yesterday, and at peak hours everything seemed to move a lot better in the city centre.
    On the news yesterday, we had the pleasure of a taxi driver telling us how if they did not get their own way, they would disrupt the Ryder Cup in a few weeks. Who do these people think they are?

On the topic of the airport charges... My last experience in a taxi from the airport was met with a 10 year old car, with the seats covered in a dirty material/sheet. The driver was wearing a tracksuit and stained t-shirt and the car had a smell of stale smoke. When you compare this to other european cities, it is simply not acceptable.
    When taxi drivers decide to present themselves professionally then the public will be supportive in their pay increase. In the meantime, I support Ger Deering in his decision to balance out the fares. Having listened to his changes they seem fair and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

MiniD wrote:
    On the news yesterday, we had the pleasure of a taxi driver telling us how if they did not get their own way, they would disrupt the Ryder Cup in a few weeks. Who do these people think they are?

I thought the area around the K Club was restricted to Bus Eireann under contact, surely this means taxis won't be allowed to operate there?

Advertisement