Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone sexual assault incident *read mod warning in OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

But children were found in a total strangers house with signs of having been sexually assaulted. I'm all on for letting justice prevail but of course parents and even non parents are going to be somewhat moved by what has happened these kids.

By what has allegedly happened. Neither you nor me know the circumstances of what happened. Past cases, especially in the UK, should inform us to be cautious about making presumptions about who did what and where. If this person is tried and convicted, I hope he/she rots in hell. But until there is a conviction it is dangerous for people to be making assumptions.

Zamboni wrote: »
    I'm just catching up on this story.
    Guilty verdict then yeah?
    Damn that was a quick prosecution.

No verdict yet but the children were found having been sexually abused. The accused deserves his fair trial but the perpetrator if found guilty, should pay for this and there is a perpetrator in this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

dukedalton wrote: »
    I'll put the tin hat on before I say this...

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Nobody has even been charged, let alone convicted, of anything, yet we have a 300-strong mob outside the courthouse, and people baying for blood? Of course allegations as horrific as these can excite passions in people, but I think it would be wise for people to remember there have been cases in the past where people have been accused of all sorts, the public bays for blood, and it turns out the allegations were completely unproven.

If they had had their way all three men would have been hanged, drawn and quartered before they even made it to the Garda Station. Those gobsh*tes in the mob should be brought to the nearest cinema and made watch the Danish film "The Hunt", they might actually learn something (although I'm guessing for most of them subtitles might be too much for them).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is a quick message to say thanks to the mods for letting sense prevail and letting the thread run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If they had had their way all three men would have been hanged, drawn and quartered before they even made it to the Garda Station. Those gobsh*tes in the mob should be brought to the nearest cinema and made watch the Danish film "The Hunt", they might actually learn something (although I'm guessing for most of them subtitles might be too much for them).
    Thanks dude. By the way you dropped your Monacle there.

• Advertisement

By what has allegedly happened. Neither you nor me know the circumstances of what happened. Past cases, especially in the UK, should inform us to be cautious about making presumptions about who did what and where. If this person is tried and convicted, I hope he/she rots in hell. But until there is a conviction it is dangerous for people to be making assumptions.

Yeah I would agree. This is different from the Michael le Vell case though in that there was signs of sexual assault. Who the actual perpetrator is is still unclear at this stage of the investigation but it would certainly seem that a crime was committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

considering it is being reported that 2 of the men were connected to the victims and looking to "deal" with the accused man it is likely unlikely the mob would attack them. In fact I'll go so far as to say the mob might actually have encouraged them

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant and false accusations about people you have never met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't really get why the massive protests?
    It seems to be "rabble rabble.....child safety.....rabble rabble", but is it not the job of parents to ensure their own children's safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Thanks dude. By the way you dropped your Monacle there.

Why the lack of anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I'm gonna take a huge leap and assume there was actual signs of sexual assault on the poor childern, hence why a person was arrested and not released without charge after some innocent misunderstanding.

I love the fact that so many people are more concerned about the "alleged" perpetrators rights than the life changing hell inflicted on these 2 poor childern.

I'm also guessing the family or Guards would appeal for calm if the case was not clear cut and dry. I don't need a court of law to tell me the sun is gonna rise in the morning, not every court case is clear cut and dry, but some have to go through the process of convicting because its due process.

On the huge assumption that this guy is guilty, I hope he is convicted, serves time, is then released and taken to an isolated area and made dig his own shallow grave.

If I'm wrong he will be released and publicaly exonerated.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would agree. This is different from the Michael le Vell case though in that there was signs of sexual assault. Who the actual perpetrator is is still unclear at this stage of the investigation but it would certainly seem that a crime was committed.

But how do we know there are signs of sexual assault? If there are, how do we know when or how they were inflicted? Or by whom? We don't know the answers to any of these questions. And we won't, until/unless there is a charge and a conviction.

I'm gonna take a huge leap and assume there was actual signs of sexual assault on the poor childern, hence why a person was arrested and not released without charge after some innocent misunderstanding.

I love the fact that so many people are more concerned about the "alleged" perpetrators rights than the life changing hell inflicted on these 2 poor childern.

I'm also guessing the family or Guards would appeal for calm if the case was not clear cut and dry. I don't need a court of law to tell me the sun is gonna rise in the morning, not every court case is clear cut and dry, but some have to go through the process of convicting because its due process.

On the huge assumption that this guy is guilty, I hope he is convicted, serves time, is then released and taken to an isolated area and made dig his own shallow grave.

If I'm wrong he will be released and publicaly exonerated.

Liam Lawlor. Karen Matthews.

considering it is being reported that 2 of the men were connected to the victims and looking to "deal" with the accused man it is likely unlikely the mob would attack them. In fact I'll go so far as to say the mob might actually have encouraged them

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant and false accusations about people you have never met

Maybe have a look back at the previous thread to see what the Boards mob wanted done to all three, are you claiming the entire Athlone mob had full access to the details of the arrests from the very beginning?

But how do we know there are signs of sexual assault? If there are, how do we know when or how they were inflicted? Or by whom? We don't know the answers to any of these questions. And we won't, until/unless there is a charge and a conviction.

Don't you know you're dealing with experts in here?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Suspects?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It seems to be "rabble rabble.....child safety.....rabble rabble", but is it not the job of parents to ensure their own children's safety?

By that token an adult should never walk the streets after dark 'cos if they get mugged it should be their own fault.

It's reasonable surely to think that kids should be able to play safely in their estate ?

So should we all stay indoors so we will be safe?

Maybe have a look back at the previous thread to see what the Boards mob wanted done to all three, are you claiming the entire Athlone mob had full access to the details of the arrests from the very beginning?

You should read some other forums, actually don't. Naming people and saying what should be done to them, ridiculous.

I'd imagine it could also jeopardise a fair trail.

People lose the run of themselves behind a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Britney Spears, Lindsay lohan.

There will be a zero tolerance policy on the following:
    • Victim blaming of any sort

Mod

the groutch, do not post in this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Why does refraining from judgement or awaiting due process side you with criminals?

• Advertisement

I used those two cases as examples where the public, led by the media it must be said, made assumptions and came to conclusions that were completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Those fcuking idiots should piss off home and allow Gardai to do their job. Standing around in groups and having a laugh is hardly 'showing support for the families'

Inbred idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

lukesmom wrote: »
    Inbred idiots
    Scared and angry people, not excusing them, don't agree with them, but "inbred idiots" is overly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Really, you are going to blame the parents?!?

So now its wrong to have kids playing out on a green?! People that commit these kind of crimes are masters at luring kids in. God knows how long the person has been living there and whether any one ever suspected anything about the accused

Have you got kids? Im going to assume you dont because if you did you'd realise they can be crafty little buggers and it is impossible to watch them 100% of the time.

Even out in our garden our 3 yr old manages to go out of sight ...

Just saw mod comment above .... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There are always going to be posters on here who express solidarity with the victims and those who apprehended the accused.
    And there will always be those who would prefer that we not talk about it until it has been proven beyond doubt that a crime happened and the accused has been tried and convicted.
    I am with the former group.

There are always going to be posters on here who express solidarity with the victims and those who apprehended the accused.
    And there will always be those who would prefer that we not talk about it until it has been proven beyond doubt that a crime happened and the accused has been tried and convicted.
    I am with the former group.

Can you not do both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Scared and angry people, not excusing them, don't agree with them, but "inbred idiots" is overly harsh.

Ok it was overly harsh. I just cannot stand the mob mentality, half of which might only be there for the crack and to be part of a group. What are they going to gain from if?

I would be interested to know what those in the mob advocating hanging would have seen as appropriate punishment for the mildly intellectually disabled chap in Galway who pleaded guilty to abusing his niece even though he was completely innocent as her mother invented the whole story? Perhaps a posthumous pardoning would have made it all okay when the truth finally came out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

RTE now reporting that a man will appear in court tomorrow in relation to serious sexual assault of the two young girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I went past the crowds today, and I wonder what they were expecting to be done.

For the benefit of those that haven't been in the area:
    • the crowd were all over the place along the street, with guards out trying to keep the road free.
    • the pubs and chippers along were doing a roaring trade. Plenty of boozing on the street both times I past.
    • they assembled were treating it like some sort of meet up to have a laugh and tell a few jokes. They'd signs written on cardboard, and they made no sense. By the evening, the signs read "Honk your horn" for the cars, and when they did, a big cheer went up and laughing ensued.
    • the majority of the assembled had the look of wasters with nothing better to do for the day. Pyjamas galore on display, plus the sleeveless vests that seem to be popular. Men, women and kids all there baying for blood.

The mind boggles as to what they wanted, or what they hope to achieve arsing around there for the day.

What happened is a disgrace, and the perpetrator, hopefully, gets whats coming. I don't see the need to gather outside the garda station though for a laugh and a piss up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement