Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your job/work status?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Working full-time. Also studying for two sets of professional exams (accountancy and insurance.) Also expecting a baby soon. So I'm quite busy ... no wonder my post count is so low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Absolute codswallop - this forum is full of venom towards people on the dole who refuse to get up off their hole.

FYP there mango. Why should anyone have any time for anyone who has chosen a vocation as a government artist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Unhappily employed. Really should have jumped ship here a few years back - I think i'm institutionalised now!
    Those years don't be too slow sneaking up on you, you know.:mad:
    Been feeling that way myself recently so making plans to quit work and head to south east asia for 6 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Czarcasm wrote: »
    FYP there mango. Why should anyone have any time for anyone who has chosen a vocation as a government artist?

Proves my original point perfectly

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

You actually believe that 400,000+ people have "Chosen" to be unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Finished college in May and I'm starting my first 'proper' job on the 21st.

Proves my original point perfectly

Only proves you missed the point perfectly tbh.

You actually believe that 400,000+ people have "Chosen" to be unemployed?

And you Humphrey missed the point in spectacular fashion.

mango sought to point out that there was hatred in AH for the unemployed. 400,000 people haven't chosen to be unemployed. The majority of those people are making an effort to contribute to society.

The small minority of those 400,000 who feel they have no obligation to contribute to society and have chosen unemployment as a lifestyle choice, quite rightly deserve nothing but contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Working full time as an anesthesiologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Absolute codswallop - this forum is full of venom towards people on the dole

Only for skangers who never worked a day in their life.

Everyone feels bad for genuine people who lost their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Employed, manual labour but a jobs a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Only proves you missed the point perfectly tbh.

And you Humphrey missed the point in spectacular fashion.

mango sought to point out that there was hatred in AH for the unemployed. 400,000 people haven't chosen to be unemployed. The majority of those people are making an effort to contribute to society.

The small minority of those 400,000 who feel they have no obligation to contribute to society and have chosen unemployment as a lifestyle choice, quite rightly deserve nothing but contempt.

But all Tared with same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm unemployed but not looking or claiming the dole. Technically I'm a housewife but not sure I like that term. I need to think of a cooler way to say that. Suggestions welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Wag? ;)
    MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm unemployed but not looking or claiming the dole. Technically I'm a housewife but not sure I like that term. I need to think of a cooler way to say that. Suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Long term unemployed here. Bleeding the state dry to the tune of €60-70,000 per annum. Sure hoping you all vote for me to stay leaching off youse on Friday. My qualifications include being distantly related to some lad who was at Leopardstown racecourse AND the GPO while the 1916 thingamajig was going off. I also do magic tricks with expense accounts and fail to show up 75% of the time to sign on yet still get my full dole salary.

I also hate people who claim social welfare and will say so next time I can find the building I'm meant to say something in.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    But all Tared with same brush.

They're not though scoop, that's my point. Certainly you'll get one or two ill informed posters who take great satisfaction in looking down their noses at people who are unemployed, but that's far from saying anything like the majority of posters in AH regard people who are unemployed in such terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Financial Manager
    Accounts CONTROLLER
    Time Management Expert
    Counselor
    Chef/cook/ nutritionist
    Nurse
    First Aider
    Advocate
    Listener
    Problem Solver
    Mentor / Adviser
    Wife and Mother
    Organiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Do you ever sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Wag? ;)

That does bestow a certain amount if glamour on me that I don't actually possess. I like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Asking people "Does this smell like chloroform"? does not an anesthesiologist make!

• Advertisement

My wife is also an Organisational Engineering Consultant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am an actor/model and not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I was working full time in an office job I had grown to hate up until 5 weeks ago when I packed it in to go freelance. I'm working from home and absolutely love it apart from the lack of security; in my first week I made 3/4 of my old monthly paycheck but only about half of that since. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and working hard to try and get more clients but applying for office jobs too, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Domestic Engineer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Working full time at the mo at home in Ireland. Have an interview for a job in America on a 1 year visa on Wednesday and I have been told by my current employers I can take a year out and have my job when I get back. If I don't get the job, things carry on as normal. Win, win, win, situation

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Working full time in a bakery, very hands on job and kept on the go all day which i love. :)

Working full time in a bakery, very hands on job and kept on the go all day which i love. :)

You've probably heard all the buns puns already :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭SUNDERLANDER!

God i miss the good old ''monkey work'' days!! you could change jobs over the phone,and take 6 months no questions asked holidays off the social if you saved up enough stamp's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Working full-time, dying a little inside each day. I would love a change, but my current employment is fairly secure (for the moment anyway) and bills need to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment, I was covering maternity leave til July (and working a small part timer to fill up the hours) and liked the area so much I signed up to go back into full time ed and get a better qualification in it which starts at the end of this month. (but it's only for a year) This morning I woke to discover I've an interview this week for full time work doing something entirely different, which I know I won't like but the money is decent. Conundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im lucky to have a permanent well paid job and the perks arent too bad, However Im working with some of the bitchiest nastiest weirdest people you could have the misfortune to meet. Bullying is rife and the atmosphere is bad. the only thing keeping me there is the cash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I work part time in a retail job that i hate but i go to college in the evenings to do a post grad course. :) Usually have a bit of free time during the week.

Im lucky to have a permanent well paid job and the perks arent too bad, However Im working with some of the bitchiest nastiest weirdest people you could have the misfortune to meet. Bullying is rife and the atmosphere is bad. the only thing keeping me there is the cash..
    I know the job I'm interviewing for is exactly this, don't know if it's worth it.

pharmaton wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment, I was covering maternity leave til July (and working a small part timer to fill up the hours) and liked the area so much I signed up to go back into full time ed and get a better qualification in it which starts at the end of this month. (but it's only for a year) This morning I woke to discover I've an interview this week for full time work doing something entirely different, which I know I won't like but the money is decent. Conundrum.

For me personally pharmaton this would be a no-brainer, as you'll do the job you like a lot longer than the job you don't like, and the financial rewards will balance out. You'll also be able to take the skills you learned in your education and apply them to other areas or future career paths you may be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

pharmaton wrote: »
    I know the job I'm interviewing for is exactly this, don't know if it's worth it.

Whats the industry mate? Cant speak for all positions in it only mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Paternity leave,though that is coming to an end soon.What a time to be outside in the cold.Must make more babies quick,am willing to subcontract the work out to some o the dashing gents on this forum.

Whats the industry mate? Cant speak for all positions in it only mine!

the one I'd be studying is in health services, (and the one I've more experience in) the other is completely unrelated and in high end retail but the pay is really good. I'm going to see if I could take it on a part time basis, at least it will see us through the Christmas and just forge ahead with my original plans and carry on with full time ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Household CEO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Unemployed/dole after graduating college a few months ago. Hoping to hear about a FAS course this month which should get me into a job before the new year. Refusing to consider JobBridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

working in the uk..... hours are massive and its hard to be away from family but needs must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Employed....leg in plaster so will work from home for the next month or so....glad to do it....good to have a job as clichéd as that sounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Full time student. One year left. Hope to f**k I get a job in my field so I guess that means this is my last year in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Full time PhD student. Previously worked as a lawyer abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Volunteering full time gaining experience in what I now realise is the exact area I want to work in. Really, really loving it. So much so that it doesn't even feel like work, and I find myself doing extra research in my own time purely because I want to. The only problem is I'm not getting paid. And I had to move abroad for it....

Living off savings, a few hours of English teaching...and the parents, unfortunately! But hey, it'll be worth it once I have a years experience (I hope!) Going to do a MA next year, and then I should be in a good position to get a (paid!) job.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Everything has gone wrong so I'm unemployed and out of college. Will hopefully get into a Fetac course if it actually goes ahead. Will try and get a job/volunteer somewhere in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Miss Behaviour

Finished my degree three years ago. Had a mad year in Australia before travelling a bit. Back in Ireland about three months, have a job, but not sure I like it yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

old hippy wrote: »
    I build bridges and suck wood.

Are you a Psychiatrist moonlighting as a prostitute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Why did the baker have smelly hands?

Because she kneaded a poo!

(courtesy of my 9-year-old)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

handed in my notice 2 weeks ago so just biding time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

over qualified, under employed.

trying to break an industry that typically sheds more jobs than it creates on a yearly basis :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement