Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationship counselling question

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've booked individual counselling in relation to my marriage of nearly 20yrs.
    My wife was giving very mixed signals for weeks about attending or not for couples counselling and I decided in the end to go to a number of sessions on my own.
    The appointment is coming up fairly soon.

Are there any males (or females) who started with this route ? -i.e going alone to begin with ?
    I am told that the individual sessions would be isolated from any subsequent couples counselling and a new counsellor would be assigned if that scenario played out.

Other question is.
    My wife works but I am currently out of work.
    Has anyone an idea of ballpark amounts which might be acceptable as a contribution per session ?
    That's a much less important question.
    I am more interested to know how single counselling at Accord has been for anyone here and wheter it led to improvements or helped get stuff off chest ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭HoneyBee78

Hi OP, no advise for couples therapy but I went to accord after breaking up from a long term relationship. They're lovely people and they will discuss it with you at the first session, if they don't then ask. They'll even tell you if you cant afford it one week that you should still go and not to miss out. I never talked so much in my life and it can get very emotional (did for me anyway) but you do realise stuff about yourself and its great to talk to someone that you don't know.

Also, if you don't think you're clicking with the counsellor try another one, some people have to try many to find the right one for them. A friend of mine is going to the healthy living centre in DCU, I think they charge €30.

Best of luck with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wouldnt recommend Accord at all.
    Theyre not as qualified as private councellers and in my experience I was blamed for the marriage failing. A counceller should never blame a client- your going there to be helped not accused.
    I went for private councelling and it was worth every cent.Even the private counceller said that they didn't always cover relevant issues- for me, my husband had a serious alcohol problem yet it was never mentioned again after first appointment
    Youd be better to save up and do it properly I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement