Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Memory Problems

Options
  • 03-04-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Europa for the past couple of years. Recently I've been having problems with the memory, both the SD card and the internal phone memory.
    SD card first: The main problem I've been having with it is that when I turn the phone on, it sometimes doesn't recognize the SD card, and any apps on the SD card won't appear on the screen. I can usually get around this by turning off the phone and removing and putting the SD card back in, although sometimes I have to do it while the phone is on, in which case some of the apps will reappear, then the rest after a while.
    The second problem seems to be with the internal phone storage. It will sometimes complain that the phone memory is low, and will refuse to receive texts, even though there could be as much as 18Mb free,(usually it complains if it goes anywhere under 20Mb). I can sometimes get around it by deleting all my texts, although sometimes I have to delete an app.
    I've also experienced another problem, although I'm not sure if it's related. Sometimes when I turn my phone on, the icons will refuse to appear and I just get a loading screen if I go into the menu. I think it's related because the icons tend to disappear after the phone does a media scan.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miskin_12

*bump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'd say the phone could just be getting old and wear and tear is taking its toll

but to be more specific i believe your internal memory issue can't be fixed. It was the same with mine. App to SD helps if you have updated your phone to 2.2 (cyanogenmod 7 done it for me!)

you could try SD maid. Android is fairly useless at deleting and cleaning up after apps are removed. It can find all corpse files and remove them, (that feature may only be on the paid version though)

both these steps should help internal memory if not done already.

Actually looking through your post again have you used app2sd before? i ran into an issue with slow loads when trying to read apps from SD card and occasionally a crash would mean all the apps/icons would have to be loaded again (and on a phone so low in specs it can be frustrating and time consuming)

I haven't used either program, the most I would do is to try and move an app onto the SD card after it installs (I don't know why you can't just install them directly to the SD card,and why some apps refuse to transfer over at all when they don't seem to use as much resources as the messaging app for example), so I guess it could be possible that there's some leftover files that it doesn't see clogging up the memory.
    According to my phone the Android version is 2.2 so I might try those programs, unless I could do it through Kies?

Miskin_12 wrote: »
    I haven't used either program, the most I would do is to try and move an app onto the SD card after it installs (I don't know why you can't just install them directly to the SD card,and why some apps refuse to transfer over at all when they don't seem to use as much resources as the messaging app for example), so I guess it could be possible that there's some leftover files that it doesn't see clogging up the memory.
    According to my phone the Android version is 2.2 so I might try those programs, unless I could do it through Kies?

Some apps need to be on the internal memory as they use the system files to work correctly especially if they are things that run like messages or antivirus and all apps will run faster and better from internal hence the automatic install location. You will always be left with some data there though as it's mainly data files that can be moved.

If you are manually doing it from the app menu app2sd might not give much of a boost but you never know.

I'm downloading sd maid myself after posting so I'll let you know how free version does.

Do you use any other cache or system cleaners

have you previously rooted your phone?

you could then delete some bloatware apps (facebook) and save another bit of space that way

• Advertisement

I haven't really done much with it since I got it, since I don't feel confident about messing around with it too much. I'm looking through the Files folder and there seems to be quite a few files there that seem to be junk. I'll try deleting some of those and see if it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Miskin_12 wrote: »
    I haven't really done much with it since I got it, since I don't feel confident about messing around with it too much. I'm looking through the Files folder and there seems to be quite a few files there that seem to be junk. I'll try deleting some of those and see if it improves.

Just cos files seem to be junk, don't mean they are!!!

What are you hoping to achieve by deleting files you don't know anything about....I don't think kit will do any harm system wise, but it won't achieve much either, except give a bit more space on your SD card, this won't speed up anything.

From you OP, it seems your SD is corrupted in some way, you should back up all data on it to your PC, this includes all files, and folders starting with .anything and hidden files....

your apps moved to SD will be in one of those folders,

/mnt/sdcard/.android_secure

so you need to back those up!!!

You won't see this from your phone, it is only vosible when the sd card is mounted on your PC/Laptop.

You should check your micro SDHC card.....

00532_image1.jpg

this is what you should have in your phone, and they usually come with an adaptor, which allows you to connect to a PC/Laptop card reader.

Take it out, and run some tests on it, connected dorectly to your PC, as above.

Use this to full format and do size adjustment/align card:

SD Formatter 4.0

Looks like this:

SD%20Format.jpg

If you have another partition on the sd card, like sd-ext, this will be wiped....so you will have to do it again!!!

Lemme know if you have, there are a whole other bunch of instructions needed!!!

Format FAT 32....

Then, use this program to check for errors....

H2testw

This is how it looks when checking a micro HDSD on my Laptop:

sd_test.jpg

Having done these tests, and if all is OK, just copy your SD contents back-up back to the SD Card.....but I anticipate there will be trouble, as if it is not the card faulty, it is the phone!!!

BTW, there are many ways to make your memory and app management much better, but you need to root, and make a partition on your sd card, and then use either DT D2SD, or Link2SD, or some such program, it will give you so much more space for apps.....

and there are loads of ROM's, etc, available on XDA and elsewhere!!!

There's life in the olde phone yet!!!

let me know if you want further help in this regard.

I didn't mean I'd go deleting files at random, there was just a couple of files for apps that I no longer have that I could probably safely get rid of.
    I'll give the SD formatter a try, and see how it goes.

Advertisement