Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness/form/technique?

Options
  • 27-06-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi all,

I do a fair bit of running and get out on the bike when I can. I always thought that if you are fit that running and cycling would go hand in hand? What I mean is I can run for miles at a slow pace with no problems but put me in front of a steep hill on a bike and I cant do it. The last time I tried I began to feel very light headed and out of breath and had to stop. Do we use the same muscle groups when we are cycling and running? I've been out running with cyclists and they couldnt keep up with me at all but when we reverse the situation its a different story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gerarda wrote: »
    Hi all,

I do a fair bit of running and get out on the bike when I can. I always thought that if you are fit that running and cycling would go hand in hand? What I mean is I can run for miles at a slow pace with no problems but put me in front of a steep hill and I cant do it. The last time I tried I began to feel very light headed and out of breath and had to stop. Do we use the same muscle groups when we are cycling and running?

No. I don't think so. I have been actively discouraged from running during race season because it's supposed to slow the legs for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi all,

I do a fair bit of running and get out on the bike when I can. I always thought that if you are fit that running and cycling would go hand in hand?

I would have thought it was the exact opposite myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What I mean is I can run for miles at a slow pace with no problems but put me in front of a steep hill on a bike and I cant do it.

How are you at running uphill? :)
    Are you changing down through your gears when you cycle uphill or trying to grind your way up?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can climb all day on a bike...couldn't run for me dinner. Very different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I can climb all day on a bike...couldn't run for me dinner. Very different kettle of fish.

Sure why would you run when you've a perfectly good bike in the garage? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I run a fair bit to supplement my general fitness. It is helpful in improving your cardio system, but won't make any appreciable improvement to your cycling, other than perhaps making you slightly more comfortable sitting on the flat for long periods of time at a steady comfortable pace. It will not make you any better at climbing, or as I like to call it "getting dropped".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do we use the same muscle groups when we are cycling and running? I've been out running with cyclists and they couldnt keep up with me at all but when we reverse the situation its a different story.

Completely different, I'm not a doctor but the leg muscles when on a bike are used in short circular movements, and not wide stretches like in running, also cyclists knees and feet are not used to the impacts involved in running..

I know personally I could not run 1k but could cycle 100k! :D

Cycling is more about momentum than running, so hills up and down make a bigger difference on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Are you climbing sitting or standing? If standing, could you sit and spin, or do you need to stand and use your bodyweight to wrestle the bike up the climb? The latter will take more out of you, especially if you're not of small build and light as a feather.

If you can't get up a climb without getting out the saddle, I'd say your gearing isn't ideal for you.

You might also want to experiment with how much weight you put over the front wheel - there is a "sweet spot" where you make pedalling easier by taking some weight off the back wheel (which is obviously the one turned directly by your pedalling effort) without putting so much weight over the front wheel that you're basically ramming it into the ground. It's worth putting just the right amount of weight over the front wheel. It can lift up off the ground altogether on steep hills if you don't weigh it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I can cycle 100kms + without rest but couldn't run 100 metres without bursting a lung half way!

• Advertisement

CJC999 wrote: »
    I can cycle 100kms + without rest but couldn't run sprint 100 metres without bursting a lung half way!

fyp

Advertisement