Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rollup jacket to mitigate soakings

Options
  • 26-06-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I got drenched last night coming home. I'm looking for something that rolls up to a small (tennis ball-ish) size and thats fairly waterproof. doesn't need to be breathable, just keeps me dry.

the usual suspects (montane featherlite velo etc) are all out of budget(20e).

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If u cycle your going to get wet...staying warm is more important. I find a gillet is all you need this time of year. Later on when the ave temp drops below 10 degrees, than a winter jacket does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

hi all,

I got drenched last night coming home. I'm looking for something that rolls up to a small (tennis ball-ish) size and thats fairly waterproof. doesn't need to be breathable, just keeps me dry.

the usual suspects (montane featherlite velo etc) are all out of budget(20e).

any suggestions?

Hunt around for a Sportful hotpack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Aldi occasionally do packable jackets which squish up pretty small. That said, you end up sweating on the inside of them. I rarely use mine, instead a gilet when it's raining and if it's only spittin' I don't bother with that. I'll dry quick enough at home or when the rain stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've got a Madison packable jacket and it's okay for a short work commute of if you get caught in a shower on the way back from town or something.

It solves the breathability issue by having massive mesh armpit vents which isn't that successful a solution!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I got one of the crane packaway jackets from aldi/lidl/whatever ages ago, packs up tiny and fits in my saddle bag with my spare tube, levers and repair kit. Only had to use it once or twice but it did the job grand, vent on the back so not too sweaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... doesn't need to be breathable, just keeps me dry....
    If it's not breathable, it won't really keep you dry. Just like boil in the bag rice.

Advertisement