Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teh feminisation of man!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting topic. For me, men wearing various cosmetics etc isn't really an issue. A helluva lot of men throughout history have done. There are tribes around today that spend many hours preening themselves who would kick seven shades of you know what out of most men here in the masculine stakes(not cavemen types either). There are even tribes that will call off a battle if it rains as their warpaint will run. :) which is kinda sweet in fairness. Moisturiser is just the surface. One of the best examples of a real man I know is gay and camper than a row of tents with it.

I would say a man is someone who never stops trying to know himself and how that applies to those he cares about. A man makes mistakes and learns from them. A man protects those people who may need it, without too much concern about how society may view that. A man has a full set of emotions but knows when, where and how much to show them. A man should also be emotionally balanced and consistent. Nothing worse than emotional incontinence in a man IMHO. A man should never say something about someone else he wouldn't be prepared to say to their face should the need arise. A man should have the ability to be quiet. A man should be able to look at the situation and make a decision and stick to that unless new stuff enters the equation. Men should be loyal. Men should do everything they can for those they love, but if that fails they should be able to walk away in good conscience. Mainly men should be responsible for themselves.

I reckon many men now are feminised. At least emotionally. Triple that in their dealings with women they love. The guys I've seen taking serious shít from the women in their lives boggles my mind tbh. I also reckon those women are not to blame to the degree many of those guys believe. most of the time I've found those women are looking for a proper reaction from the guy, IE, queitly and calmly showing by their words and calm actions that this is not acceptable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm disapointed, you haven't insulted the travellers yet. What sort of a crap troll are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭CheapStuff

ur not disappointed in the slightest. please stay on topic and dont get personal by calling me names or suggesting i am crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

connundrum wrote: »
    On Saturday night I engaged in the following acts:

1. I queued to go to the toilet. Wtf?? Since when do men queue?? I really can't remember the last time I stood in line, making small talk whilst bursting for a leak!

2. I had a cocktail. A mojito, and it was lovely. Then I had a beer, so I feel that one cancelled the other out.

3. I danced my pants off. Not like a stripper, but more like a man on a mission to create as much sweat in as little time as possible. Whilst dancing, we got another group of lads involved and had a grand aul time - till one of their girlfriends stepped in, called her bo a gay and dragged him away :(

Listening to the radio this morning, they were banging on about how men are forced into being more feminine. I didn't think so until I remembered the above, and then wondered what my aul lad would make of it all.

'That wouldn't have happened in my day' he'd probably say. And it probably wouldn't have. But is it a good thing? Have we progressed or are our manly habits falling to the wayside?

I have seen worse, at the local gym i have seen guys queued up to use not the steam room or spa but the sun bed. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would say a man is someone who never stops trying to know himself and how that applies to those he cares about. A man makes mistakes and learns from them. A man protects those people who may need it, without too much concern about how society may view that. A man has a full set of emotions but knows when, where and how much to show them. A man should also be emotionally balanced and consistent. Nothing worse than emotional incontinence in a man IMHO. A man should never say something about someone else he wouldn't be prepared to say to their face should the need arise. A man should have the ability to be quiet. A man should be able to look at the situation and make a decision and stick to that unless new stuff enters the equation. Men should be loyal. Men should do everything they can for those they love, but if that fails they should be able to walk away in good conscience. Mainly men should be responsible for themselves.

I reckon many men now are feminised. At least emotionally. Triple that in their dealings with women they love. The guys I've seen taking serious shít from the women in their lives boggles my mind tbh. I also reckon those women are not to blame to the degree many of those guys believe. most of the time I've found those women are looking for a proper reaction from the guy, IE, queitly and calmly showing by their words and calm actions that this is not acceptable.
    Are you the above man? If so, I kan haz marriage plzthx?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And women should look pretty.

*dusts hands*

Ah Wibbs, that reads like something you'd see pinned up in your neighbour bathroom, beside the "20 things you should do every day".
    Nice post earthhorse :)

I don't believe a man is anything but himself. Although self-sacrifice has a noble quality to it that appeals to me.

Me thinks there is an element of sexed up dossier about those comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Zulu wrote: »
    I don't believe a man is anything but himself. Although self-sacrifice has a noble quality to it that appeals to me.
    A man who'd die for his woman? Oh yeah! ;)

Titantic - DiCaprio only died because he realised it was the only way he would get away from Winslett after one shag..

Most men would fake their death to get away from a woman... not sure about sacrificing for a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Men in Pink shirts are a defo 'no no' in my book and gives me the all clear for the slagging of the poor bloke.

But honestly most men could do with a practical course in hygiene let alone extra preening.

Oh by the way James Bond order a Mojito in Die Another Day
    Pure symbol of male dome in my book - give it to me shaken and stirred baby

is feminisation directly linked to the irish mothering experienced by most males in Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dudess wrote: »
    Are you the above man? If so, I kan haz marriage plzthx?
    :) Some bits maybe, but Nope. it's a goal.
    Earthhorse wrote:
    And women should look pretty.

*dusts hands*
    It wasn't a thread about women. Most of the above would go for women too. Emotional consistency may be a bridge too far though.... :)
    Zulu wrote:
    I don't believe a man is anything but himself
    That's too pat an answer. So a guy who is ignoble, over emotional, petty, spineless and disloyal would be still a man if he was just being himself?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

CheapStuff wrote: »
    is feminisation directly linked to the irish mothering experienced by most males in Ireland?

no but i think it explains why so many guys are pussy whipped.

LouOB wrote: »
    Men in Pink shirts are a defo 'no no' in my book and gives me the all clear for the slagging of the poor bloke.
    Pink is only relatively recently a feminine colour though. That's fashion mostly. Some of the hardest men in history wore skirts so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

CheapStuff wrote: »

No. Mothering leads to men who can't tie their own shoe laces.

Feminisation leads to men opting for sandals.

The difference is subtle but present. :pac:

Dragan wrote: »
    No. Mothering leads to men who can't tie their own shoe laces.

The difference is subtle but present. :pac:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Pink is only relatively recently a feminine colour though. That's fashion mostly. Some of the hardest men in history wore skirts so....
    Hey just IMO
    BF came home with a 'pink' polo shirt
    he never wore it as its grounds for war in my book

You cannot masculine PINK
    True its just a colour - but also a source of weakness
    If you wear it be prepared for the consequences :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

They also ran through nettles without any underware so I count them as real men

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness, regardless of the colour you should end it with anyone who comes home wearing a polo shirt.
    Dragan wrote:

Jesus wore sandals (allegedly) and he was a double-hard, nails-through-the-wrists bastard.

It wasn't a thread about women. Most of the above would go for women too. Emotional consistency may be a bridge too far though.... :)

So not only do you not think women are pretty but that they're emotionally inconsistent? And to think they let you mod PI.
    That's too pat an answer. So a guy who is ignoble, over emotional, petty, spineless and disloyal would be still a man if he was just being himself?

Yes. Specifically, he would be a politician.

Yea, why not! A bad man, granted, but a man none the less - he's honest with himself at least.

...although, you could be right: there's no room for spineless.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So not only do you not think women are pretty but that they're emotionally inconsistent? And to think they let you mod PI.
    Yep they do. Seems to upset you that. In any case of course I think women are pretty and yes in general I also think they're emotionally more complex and fluid than men.

:D

Earthhorse wrote:
    Very good - you're rolling rocks today Earthhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Jesus wore sandals (allegedly) and he was a double-hard, nails-through-the-wrists bastard.

Rubbish. Jesus wasn't a man so can't be counted. I don't mean the "he wasn't a man he was the son of God" that insane people will come out with.

I mean he didn't get drunk and rowdy, he didn't punch people and he spoke a message of peace.

Hardly a man worth listening to. :pac:

Zulu wrote: »
    Yea, why not! A bad man, granted, but a man none the less - he's honest with himself at least.
    Back to the politician again. :)

...although, you could be right: there's no room for spineless
    Agreed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dragan wrote: »
    Rubbish. Jesus wasn't a man so can't be counted. I don't mean the "he wasn't a man he was the son of God" that insane people will come out with.

I mean he didn't get drunk and rowdy, he didn't punch people and he spoke a message of peace.

Hardly a man worth listening to. :pac:

Have you seen the Deleted Scenes on The Bible DVD Extras? The ****storm in Cana, the lads ransacking the illegal Temple franchise?

Yep they do. Seems to upset you that. In any case of course I think women are pretty and yes in general I also think they're emotionally more complex and fluid than men.

Dang. Did I use the whole PI mod bit before? Anyway, it's only because I'm deeply concerned for the users over there. What with someone as emotionally inconsistent as you in charge.

@Zulu: Thankee, sir, thankee.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Dang. Did I use the whole PI mod bit before?
    Yep so at least you're consistent so that's one point on the list scored to you.

Advertisement