Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Road pedals from SPD

• 06-06-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

So I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 50 euro Wiggle Voucher and I've expressed a certain disatisfaction with the contrast between my lovely delicate looking Tifosi and my fugly Shimano M088 SPD shoes.

So one thing I'm considering is using my voucher to buy a set of DhB R1.0 Road shoes and getting a pair of Keo pedals from a mate that offered them to me before.

I've googled teh internetz and there doesn't seem to be much consensus other than road shoes look better on a roadbike but you can walk in SPDs...oh and that road shoes are harder to get into.

There seem to have been similar discussions here 2 or 3 years ago, but none more recent.

So yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Road pedals are much better than MTB SPDs, the power transfer is much better, the rigid soles spread the load better, in my experience it feels much smoother and much less power is wasted in the transmission. If all you are concerned about is the cycling side of things it's no contest,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Just bought a pair off those dhb road shoes, making the move from the M088s. Yet to take them on a spin but have set them up and sat on bike with them. All I've noticed so far is that they seem a bit harder to clip out of. More resistance, still not a difficult task. Comfy shoes though, not hard to get into at all. Wide enough for my extra wide feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Personally, an SPD and a tidy looking MTB shoe (eg s-works) are the way forward for road biking! You have the convenience of being able to walk around comfortably, easy engage, comfy shoes.
    The argument that the road cleats spread the pressure over a bigger area of the sole of your foot is mostly faf as a decent MTB shoe sole will be stiff carbon, spreading the pressure on the whole sole, irrespective of the cleat size.

I've been using this system for few years having used standard Look Keo/road shoe combo also. Only reason I see to go for road shoe is aesthetics, which are obv hugely important too!

That's my experience anyway.

Use your voucher for lighter/tidier pedals/shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

MTB shoes on a road bike are a serious crime against all that is good and true. IMHO, of course.

padjo5 wrote: »
    Personally, an SPD and a tidy looking MTB shoe (eg s-works) are the way forward for road biking! You have the convenience of being able to walk around comfortably, easy engage, comfy shoes.
    The argument that the road cleats spread the pressure over a bigger area of the sole of your foot is mostly faf as a decent MTB shoe sole will be stiff carbon, spreading the pressure on the whole sole, irrespective of the cleat size.

I've been using this system for few years having used standard Look Keo/road shoe combo also. Only reason I see to go for road shoe is aesthetics, which are obv hugely important too!

That's my experience anyway.

Use your voucher for lighter/tidier pedals/shoes!

The point of contact on spds is much smaller than on road pedals, physics says this helps spread the load on your feet, its science not faf. Road shoes are better for road cycling if you are unconcerned with walking around etc. horses for courses obviously, but there's reasons the Pro's use one not the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What do you need to be walking for if you have a bike?

Physics debate time! If the sole of a shoe is very rigid (as in rigid carbon) any force from below will be spread evenly across the entire surface, irrespective of whether one is standing on, for example, a point of a nail (SPD) or a flat floor (Look Keo or SPD SL)......would one suggest this is not accurate!?

Physics debate time! If the sole of a shoe is very rigid (as in rigid carbon) any force from below will be spread evenly across the entire surface, irrespective of whether one is standing on, for example, a point of a nail (SPD) or a flat floor (Look Keo or SPD SL)......would one suggest this is not accurate!?

Carbon's not rigid enough for the difference to be anywhere close to immaterial.

Carbon is not rigid?? I'll be sure to stay a few lengths back from your bike in the next A4 race so!

The soles on decent MTB shoes are absolutely rigid, zero flex, same as good road shoes.

OP, maybe see if you can try cycle in a few different shoes/cleats as that really is the only way to know what's comfortable/best for you.

Carbon is not rigid?? I'll be sure to stay a few lengths back from your bike in the next A4 race so!

Put your foot against the side of your frame some day while holding it and give it a good push with your foot and watch it flex for inches.....

Carbon is rigid, but not so much so that a small spd point of contact is as good as a road pedal, that's just science, feel free to continue believing the world is flat....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If walking is your concern.. Or clipping out/in very quickly.. then go for the MTB Spd's/shoes..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If walking is your concern.. Or clipping out/in very quickly.. then go for the MTB Spd's/shoes..

Exactly and that's why MTB and commuters should go with SPD's but if you are only concerned about on bike performance without a regular need to clip out then road pedals are the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

I find road shoes far more comfortable on the bike compared to MTB shoes, they are lighter, stiffer, and less stuffy. MTB shoes are better for walking but on an average spin the amount of time spent walking is negligible (between 2-5%) so I give more consideration to comfort on the bike than off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If you go for rigid (carbon) -soled MTB shoes then they are not so easy to walk around in as those with soles that flex. Personally I'd find that an odd half-way house if using them purely on the road. Sure, the cleat is recessed so you are not sliding around directly on that but for the little that I walk in my road shoes that's a minor inconvenience at worst. For me, MTB shoes are great for off-road, where you may to have put your foot down at any moment, on the road it's road shoes all the way.

Also, I much prefer the engagement between road cleats and road pedals (I used Look for years, Speedplay for the last few years) to that between SPD cleats and SPDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Have always found spds to be much more practical to be honest. Coffee/food stops, putting bike on the train, just general looking around, they all require walking. On top of that spds are much quicker to clip and out of, being double sided.

I always feel a bit like an upturned turtle wearing road shoes whenever I have to stop. And, per above, with a decent mtb shoe there's very little sacrifice in power. Yes it's against the 'rules', but so is keeping spare tubes in a saddle bag ffs. Feck the rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

LennoxR wrote: »
    Have always found spds to be much more practical to be honest. Coffee/food stops, putting bike on the train, just general looking around, they all require walking. On top of that spds are much quicker to clip and out of, being double sided.

I always feel a bit like an upturned turtle wearing road shoes whenever I have to stop. And, per above, with a decent mtb shoe there's very little sacrifice in power. Yes it's against the 'rules', but so is keeping spare tubes in a saddle bag ffs. Feck the rules!

Speedplay are double-sided road pedals, and not the only ones either, but even my single-sided Looks were very quick to clip into when I used them. That's just down to what you are used to, neither pedal type (road or off-road) wins there.

As for the 'rules', they are just nonsense and most people recognise them as that. I don't care about the rules - I have a saddle bag on my race bike, I carry a pump on my race bike, my shoes are black, yada yada. Personally my preference for road shoes on the road is because I simply find them better, full stop.

LennoxR wrote: »

Again this is all about not being on the bike. If you get on your bike, cycle, then get off, road shoes are much better. If your cycling consists of lots of walking then SPDs may well be more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Inquitus wrote: »
    Again this is all about not being on the bike. If you get on your bike, cycle, then get off, road shoes are much better. If your cycling consists of lots of walking then SPDs may well be more convenient.

Yeah well obviously each to their own, but I switched back to spds from Look, not because I do that much walking but because it's nice to be able to should anything go wrong. Also I find I develop knee pain more easily with road pedals (though of course that could have been to do with dodgy set up).

And like I said I found the power difference was negligible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can get cleat covers for most road cleats, if the shoe has a heel stub like diadora shoes then walking is not that bad. Non slip anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Hmmm, my next quandry is are they pretty enough to justify the hassle.

One of the customer reviews suggests that they may not be less bulky than the M088s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Personally I think there are SPD pedal geometries which are close enough to road pedals to deflate arguments of spreading loads across surfaces etc... That particular difference would not be noticed by mere mortals. These, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a520-touring-pedals/, or the A600 version combined with http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r064-road-cycling-shoes/ or the RT82 would cover most activities on a road bike, the RT82 also gives you the walking aspect and the way the cleat is inset into the sole also means that there is actually more contact area with the shoe to the pedal than even Look cleats - but as I said, not that a mere mortal would be able to notice that difference transferred to performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I have spd pedals on my road bike and for solo spins I use my road shoes but a day out cycling with a few friends where we are likely to make several stops I will wear my mtb shoes, use whatever you feel more comfortable with, I'd agree with LennoxR and feck the rules :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hmmm, my next quandry is are they pretty enough to justify the hassle.

One of the customer reviews suggests that they may not be less bulky than the M088s.

I have had Shimano, Diadora and the DHBs. The DHBs were functional but were no better than any MTB shoe on the bike in terms of comfort. If you want road shoes over MTB shoes, I would avoid them and pick something else. Also the sizing was wide for me.

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Personally I think there are SPD pedal geometries which are close enough to road pedals to deflate arguments of spreading loads across surfaces etc... That particular difference would not be noticed by mere mortals. These, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a520-touring-pedals/, or the A600 version combined with http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r064-road-cycling-shoes/ or the RT82 would cover most activities on a road bike, the RT82 also gives you the walking aspect and the way the cleat is inset into the sole also means that there is actually more contact area with the shoe to the pedal than even Look cleats - but as I said, not that a mere mortal would be able to notice that difference transferred to performance.

You might as well have a road pedal as one of them, its one sided, road shaped, in fact the only difference is it has the SPD system to latch on, and those are road shoes without a recessed cleat so walking is not going to be much improved.....agreed that setup probably only loses a smaller fraction to road shoes / pedals, but it also has all the same limitations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

doozerie wrote: »
    Also, I much prefer the engagement between road cleats and road pedals

+1 on this. I find the road shoes easier to clip in an out, and the clipping action is much smoother. Of course this could be due to wear and tear on the SPDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Inquitus wrote: »
    You might as well have a road pedal as one of them, its one sided, road shaped, in fact the only difference is it has the SPD system to latch on, and those are road shoes without a recessed cleat so walking is not going to be much improved.....agreed that setup probably only loses a smaller fraction to road shoes / pedals, but it also has all the same limitations!

Yes, no denying that but the OP has a choice to completely change system and probably spend more rather than keeping the system he has and is used to with these versions. The RT82 shoe gives the recessed cleat and is definitely easier to walk around on, its more of a halfway house between a road shoe and an MTB shoe so probably more suitable for sportive riding IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MTB shoes are designed to be less stiff.

I use Sworks MTB shoes and they're adequately stiff but they also cost almost 300 euro at RRP. My road shoes cost half that and feel similar. I've used cheaper Spesh Comp MTB shoes before and they were super floppy.

SPDs are fine but they don't have the same snappy engagement and security as Speedplays or whatever.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, based on the reading I've done on the DHB shoes, including the carbon soled version I think I'll hold off the transition to big boy pedals until a time when I'm less poor.

Thinking I'll use my voucher for something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tifosi-carbon-seat-post/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Just go for it. There's a guy in Rathmines who is flogging off DMT cycling shoes for peanuts (30-35e) if you're Dublin based. Both road and mtb styles, and both nylon and carbon soles. Really friendly guy, you'll find it on adverts.ie easily enough if you search for DMT, and it'll be more confidence inspiring fitwise to try them on in person if you can.

• Advertisement

Tried on some plastic soled Bont shoes in my LBS, so much prettier than my M088s but I can't afford them for now.

@Mirv apparently DMT only shod smaller people than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah had a look myself - sizes only up to 41.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've got size 45 DMT.

Question. Do I really need to go to Carbon soles to feel an improvement in stiffness over my M088s?

Also what's the fit like on Diadora shoes?

Advertisement