Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountain bike question.

Options
  • 26-06-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering i tried some mountain biking there lately for the first time and absolutely loved it. I have few years experience using road bike and 6 months of racing experience. Would it be worth buying an entry level mountain bike at the end of the year? It's actually something I would like to try out again. I would be up to date with road bikes but not so much mountain bikes.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I would be similar to you - road biking for a few years, and tried mountain biking for the first time about 6 months ago. Absolutely loved it, and have been out a good bit since.
    What I did was buy a used entry-level bike on adverts (Boardman FS Team for €550) before I even started. The logic was that at €40 a throw to rent one, I wouldn't be long spending €200 on rentals, and have nothing to show for it. The Boardman has been great, have spend €90 on it getting a new bottom bracket and brake pads, but would have spent far more on rentals. Also, having your own bike means you can to any trails, not just ones with rental facilities. Plus, if I find that the buzz wears off, I can still sell the bike, without losing too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just wondering i tried some mountain biking there lately for the first time and absolutely loved it. I have few years experience using road bike and 6 months of racing experience. Would it be worth buying an entry level mountain bike at the end of the year? It's actually something I would like to try out again. I would be up to date with road bikes but not so much mountain bikes.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I ride mountain bike and road bike every week. Mountain biking is mainly in the Ballyhouras. I'd recommend looking for a fairly good condition second hand mountain bike to start out with. Things to look for is disc brakes, good shock (rockshox or Fox) and a bike that has been well maintained. Stick with a hardtail as there easier to maintain. If you do go to ballyhouras they have rental bikes (26", 27.5" and 29") available. If your only going to mountain biking 2 or 3 times in the year you would be as well to rent out a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Golden question. How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Golden question. How much do you want to spend?

600 to 800 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

600 to 800 max.

Not a bad price bracket to be working with. New, your best bet for that price would be the Voodoo Hoodoo. Can read Bikeradars review of it here.

Other than that you'd probably want to be looking at second hand, there is deals to be hand but it's just a matter of searching for something good to pop up and then hope that you don't pick up a lemming. At least buying new you'll be covered warranty wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

600 to 800 max.

I bought this fella a few months back. Retails at about 750.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er.2/14841/66268/

Have to say I love it. Althought it probably needs a bit of tweaking 'out of the box', but I'm a bit of a n00b so don't know much about that sort of stuff. But it's very sturdy, and the shimano components all run very smoothly.

I've only taken it on a few off road spins, nothing serious just forest tracks and trails.

My mate who's into enduro and DH racing is going to show me the ropes over the summer, I asked him if my bike is okay for trails and enduro and he said it was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think I will buy a 2nd hand one and try to get a good and well maintained bike for that.

What brands should I be looking at besides some of the ones mentioned above. The one I tried out mountain biking was a Giant hardtail. Don't know what model it was but I think it had rockshox suspension. Sorry I didn't know enough about it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Brand doesnt matter as they are all the same at your price range, As mentioned already I'd recommend a hard tail, hydraulic brakes, decent forks and your away.
    For your price you really just want something thats in good nick, better to get something that isn't too old and check all that you would check if buying a road bike, e.g. frame for cracks, wheels are true, brakes working (not damage to hoses) forks are not leaking etc.
    Those Boardman bikes seem pretty good for the price, theres a few on adverts too.

Best of luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

There are some great deals on adverts and Donedeal. I bought a nice Kona on adverts and my brother bought a high end Titus that had been imported from the US. The bikes had great spec and would cost a few grand to buy new. My Kona just needs a brake upgrade and it'll be perfect.
    €600-800 is a good budget. Check the size carefully the first mtb I bought was a cube hardtail and it was too small. Avoid cheaper forks like Rockshocks Dart. Other Rockshocks and Fox are good.
    Don't worry too much about the brand, it's all about the components really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What brands should I be looking at besides some of the ones mentioned above. The one I tried out mountain biking was a Giant hardtail. Don't know what model it was but I think it had rockshox suspension. Sorry I didn't know enough about it beforehand.

Giant are a very common brand, so re-sale value is quite low because of the numbers of them out there...

Have a look at VITUS

• Advertisement
Advertisement