Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So my day is done...

• 28-07-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Got up at half eleven,brekkie followed by walk,i've filled water for the cattle-thats everything i need to do today.What time is it?Fuuccckkkk.Another month til uni starts-double fcuk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Oh cant wait til Uni starts again. This summer has been so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Do some charity work, and by that I don't mean become a chugger.

Build a school for some Africans or the likes, that should take about a month ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Here is a novel idea for ye both.. GET F*CKING JOBS YE LAYABOUTS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

^ What he said :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Sounds like bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭CheapStuff

lol these dullards have zero chance of a job. Start looking at Oz because no f***er will employ you here in 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And all I can do is sit around hungover, waiting for work to start! Yeah, I concur, I wanna go back to college sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

^ What he said :P

Harder than usual this summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

will you drive me the fifteen miles to the nearest job then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Gone are they days when yung fellas would just hop on a bike!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Got up at half eleven,brekkie followed by walk,i've filled water for the cattle-thats everything i need to do today.What time is it?Fuuccckkkk.Another month til uni starts-double fcuk.

Post of the day tbh!

/Applauds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

walk, it will pass a lot of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really want to go back to college.. I've been unemployed for a month and I'm bored out of my ****ing skull. Can't find a bloody job this summer, and it's worse because I won't be working come September (going into final year, need to study as much as I can) so I really needed to find some work...

If you cant find a job for the summer how are you gonna find one for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So how are you going to get to Uni?

Im going to move to galway.

Its a bit harder for students to find jobs when there is currently an influx of relatively unskilled labour coming on the market from the construction sector. Combine that with rapidly worsening conditions in the service sector (shops, restaurants, pubs etc.) and you can see why it isn't quite so simple to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Im going to move to galway.

Move now and get a job in Galway...problem solved :D

aaah the old immigrants took my job excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Cheapstuff you're being quite tough on the students. I'm going into fourth year this October and I am lucky enough to have a job this summer, but I only have it becuase a member of my family helped me get it. And before I get any abuse over nepotism, get over it, it happens. However a load of my friends have no jobs. This summer has been much harder to find employment than the previous three that I have worked. And it's not just a case of immigrants, but they do make more attractive employees. They often have the same skill levels and they're not going back to college in September/October. The temping agencies that I tried in May/June were all bursting with people Irish and Non Nationals alike. The down turn in the economy has really effected people like students who benefitted from more casual seasonal work and job opperunities which employers will do without in tighter times such as now.

The worry about going back to Uni without some sort of financial backing from the summer can be quite grave for many students today and often it is not by chocie. More and more students do not go away for the summer as going to college in Ireland has become very expensive, particularily in Dublin. Even with free fees there is a 1,000 reg fee for most students which is the first obsticle to be crossed before food, transport and the social life which many posters here describe as one of the best times of their lives.

And long summer days with nothing to do are just headwrecking. My sister has just finished her leavign cert. Her sailing instructing job doesn't exist due to the poor weather leading to fewer children taking lessons, despite having been promised the job in April. Many students find themselves coming unstuck despite the best laid plans for a summer full of productive activity/mind numbing but gainful employment.

OP if you're going mental, volunteer in a charity. The summer I finished my leaving cert I couldn't get a job for love nor money and so I worked in a cnetre ofr the blind down the road from my hosue. They were sos hocked to have someone volunteer they didn't know what tod with me at first. I gained so useful skills, had a laugh at times and had busy days. I also got free food. Subsequently, on the back of that work, I got a job in a Supermarket and was able to use my supervisor/manager/person who gave me work though not strictly in an offical capacity as a reference.

• Advertisement

CheapStuff wrote: »

I never mentioned immigrants. There are many Irish people who are being laid off at the moment from the construction sector. The problem for students is that they are usually seen as less reliable, are able to do less hours (during term-time)and a much shorter-term(only have flexible hours during summer) type of employee. Compared to someone who may have a access to a car and who can work any hours and who for the foreseeable future, with the lack of jobs at the moment, are far more likely to stay for a longer period of time, do you really think its a surprise students are finding it hard to get employment? Plus, as I said before, the fact that most pubs, restaurants and shops are having a tough time means people are being laid off not being laid off, taken on these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

In my day, i would have walked the fifteen miles... in my bare feet! The youth of today :rolleyes:

CtrlSource wrote: »
    In my day, i would have walked the fifteen miles... in my bare feet! The youth of today :rolleyes:

Ah but sure it didn't matter how you looked when you turned up at the bog to dig turf. These days image is everything in most of these jobs and most people ain't going to look too dapper after a 15 mile walk. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Get a girlfriend - or a willing sheep - to pass the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

There is a bit of call centre work going if you look around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just enjoy yourself and count yourself lucky...

I'm heading into work in half an hour or so :(

The Day Is Done

The day is done, and the darkness
    Falls from the wings of Night,
    As a feather is wafted downward
    From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village
    Gleam through the rain and the mist,
    And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me,
    That my soul cannot resist.

A feeling of sadness and longing,
    That is not akin to pain,
    And resembles sorrow only
    As the mist resembles the rain.

Come, read to me some poem,
    Some simple and heartfelt lay,
    That shall soothe this restless feeling,
    And banish the thoughts of day.

Not from the grand old masters,
    Not from the bards sublime,
    Whose distant footsteps echo
    Through the corridors of Time.

For, like strains of martial music,
    Their mighty thoughts suggest
    Life's endless toil and endeavour;
    And to-night I long for rest.

Read from some humbler poet,
    Whose songs gushed from his heart,
    As showers from the clouds of summer,
    Or tears from the eyelids start;

Who, through long days of labour,
    And nights devoid of ease,
    Still heard in his soul the music
    Of wonderful melodies.

Such songs have power to quiet
    The restless pulse of care,
    And come like the benediction
    That follows after prayer.

Then read from the treasured volume
    The poem of thy choice,
    And lend to the rhyme of the poet
    The beauty of thy voice.

And the night shall be filled with music,
    And the cares that infest the day,
    Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
    And as silently steal away.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Magpie! wrote: »
    Get a girlfriend - or a willing sheep - to pass the time.

theres no wimmen round here,just fields.damn if only we farmed sheep-the bullocks would be harder to charm i think.Oh well that just leaves me and my fapping hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Masturbate furiously, that will pass the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

theres no wimmen round here,just fields.damn if only we farmed sheep-the bullocks would be harder to charm i think.Oh well that just leaves me and my fapping hand.

No suckey calves?

Note to self: Remind sister who lives in galway to avoid all Sligo men.

Ah but sure it didn't matter how you looked when you turned up at the bog to dig turf. These days image is everything in most of these jobs and most people ain't going to look too dapper after a 15 mile walk. :P

So what your saying is, the earth under my toenails wouldn't look professional?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

it does seem tougher for the younglings to get work.
    Immigration has had an impact no doubt.
    Though Irish youth do seem quite lazy about going about summer job hunting.

Magpie! wrote: »
    No suckey calves?

Note to self: Remind sister who lives in galway to avoid all Sligo men.

no sucky calves.I won't be admitting i'm from sligo once i get to galway and i've a fairly neutral accent,so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

You should use the free time to find yourself. But be sure to give him a slow count of 100 before you go looking or that's cheating.

You should use the free time to find yourself. But be sure to give him a slow count of 100 before you go looking or that's cheating.

LOL! Well no it was more of a LTMS but still....

• Advertisement

thanks i needed a lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Ah ive been looking for a job all summer but there is nothing. Oh top of that ive a lot of studying for exams. thats just tedious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Would hate to have been reliant on summer work this year!
    Time to start looking for something for next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nothing cures boredom like doing maths. It's great fun.

Advertisement