Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris de Burgh to play in Iran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Probably the most forward thinking of all the Arab nations when it comes to their treatment of women.

Fúcking Americans and their villification of this country and their love affair with the Saudis, who treat women like crap.

Yeah, it's Chris DeBurgh and he's crap, but it's a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

So negotiations have stopped and the use of force has begun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

WMD's -weapon of music destruction

It's the innocent people who always suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Disgrace.

Anyone who plays in Iran might as well go do a show in Zimbabwe or North Korea when they're finished :rolleyes: A country where homosexuality is actually illegal and people are not even allowed to organise in a trade union. Nice one Chris! Hope you make a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Cool_CM wrote: »
    So negotiations have stopped and the use of force has begun?
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Disgrace.

Anyone who plays in Iran might as well go do a show in Zimbabwe or North Korea when they're finished :rolleyes: A country where homosexuality is actually illegal and people are not even allowed to organise in a trade union. Nice one Chris! Hope you make a fortune!

Just like the rest of the world up until about the 1960's, so it's not like they're centuries behind us. Yeah it's wrong, but enlightenment happens slowly and it's always going to happen at different rates around the world. It's not a reason to ostracise them. There's so much to admire in Iran. Their social customs make them among the politest, most hospitable society in the world today, their women's rights are hugely advanced by middle eastern standards, and they have some of the most beautiful culture and humane history of any civilisation, which is treasured by their people and still shapes their lives today. Maybe they'd have progressed even more towards correcting archaic unjust laws if the US and UK hadn't butted in and wrecked their economy by deposing their democratically elected government in order to nick their oil? Minorities never thrive until the general populace is secure, that's always been the way everywhere. It's no coincidence acceptance of homosexuality made it's major leaps at relatively prosperous times for the western world. Iran will get there in time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

فير بلاي وسهرس دا برق. ي هبي هي دسي وإلل إن إران.. ي هفي نتهنقه أقينست تهي إرنيوان ببلي. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Just like the rest of the world up until about the 1960's, so it's not like they're centuries behind us. Yeah it's wrong, but enlightenment happens slowly and it's always going to happen at different rates around the world. It's not a reason to ostracise them.

:eek:

It isn't?
    Minorities never thrive until the general populace is secure, that's always been the way everywhere. It's no coincidence acceptance of homosexuality made it's major leaps at relatively prosperous times for the western world. Iran will get there in time too.

So they'll stop the executions of gays then?

فير بلاي وسهرس دا برق. ي هبي هي دسي وإلل إن إران.. ي هفي نتهنقه أقينست تهي إرنيوان ببلي.

Babelfish says noooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CtrlSource wrote: »
    :eek:

It isn't?

So they'll stop the executions of gays then?

Babelfish says noooo!
    You won't find Arabic on Bablefish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I wonder will he sing his big hit "Lady in black, from head to toe." ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

spadder wrote: »
    Iran has Nukes, could we be targeted after this:

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0728/deburghc.html

I understand your worry, spadder, but we could just pretend that he's actually French and hope that they target them instead... ...:rolleyes:

To b honest though, so long as he behaves there, then we should be fine. We are a peaceful nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kevster wrote: »
    I understand your worry, spadder, but we could just pretend that he's actually French and hope that they target them instead... ...:rolleyes:

To b honest though, so long as he behaves there, then we should be fine. We are a peaceful nation.

Is he not from Argentina with a British passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

It's about the only place the little bollix can get a gig these days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is he not from Argentina with a British passport?

Yeah. Some people see to think that he's Irish 'cos he lived here but he's British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Ponster wrote: »
    Yeah. Some people see to think that he's Irish 'cos he lived here but he's British.

Phew, so we can't claim him!

i mean he's er.... so um... talented. Yes he's one of ours really....... brought up his kids here 'n all....

Dear oh dear, oh dear! What would Uncle Gaybo think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

According to Wikipedia (Which I know is often not the best of sources....)

with regards womens rights...

The Iranian legislation follows traditional precepts of Islamic shari'a, and thus accords more rights to men than women. This is shown in several articles of the Iranian civil code:
    • In the section of the penal code devoted to blood money, or Diyya, the value of woman's life is half that of a man ("for instance, if a car hit both on the street, the cash compensation due to the woman's family was half that due the man's")
    • the testimony of a male witness is equivalent to that of two female witnesses.
    • A woman cannot travel by herself without the written permission of her father or husband.

Chris de Burgh and an audience of blokes. Just Iranian blokes. Getting their dance on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

Great news: he is going there.

Not so great news: he will be coming back. Unless his ''Patrica The Stripper'' does not go down well.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmL1eQHC3Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hagar wrote: »
    I wonder will he sing his big hit "Lady in black, from head to toe." ?

That was my line ffs :p
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    people are not even allowed to organise in a trade union. Nice one Chris!

meh. My work doesnt have one, and we have thousands of employees.

Wish it did mind. Getting pretty sick of emails from American tossers in Massacheutes (sp....fcuk) Arizona and New York about how we are all one big great family striving for....

uh, I cant even finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

well once he starts singing lady in red no doubt they'll stone him to death.. "lady in red is dancing with me cheek to cheek" ...clearly grounds for stoning and if it;s not it should be.. and also he should bring his daughter over and sell her for half a camel or maybe thats too much how about 1 bag of fresh camel poo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just like the rest of the world up until about the 1960's, so it's not like they're centuries behind us.

Wasn't it a couple of centuries ago that we stopped killings of homosexuals as a matter of course?

Then again, there are no homosexuals in Iran.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Just one small point from earlier. Iran isnt an Arab country. Its Persian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could have sent wee Daniel and hope he got "lost". :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

WHAT!? I always thought he was called Christy Burke :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Please George attack Iran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Chris De Burgh doesn't really mind if you spill gravy on him.

I know this because i once spilled gravy on chris de burgh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

ffs there are posters for Daniel O'Donnell in my local here in Melbourne. There were also Foster & Allen ones at one stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    ffs there are posters for Daniel O'Donnell in my local here in Melbourne. There were also Foster & Allen ones at one stage :(

There is a Chirsty Moore tribute act playing sydney next week .. Same venue as Black keys!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah i'm in Canada and an elderly lady whom i know asked if i knew of Daniel O' Donnell.

I just ran off crying, is it too much to ask to not hear about that ****er when in another continent?

Advertisement