Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixed Charge Notice-registered post?

• 26-11-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Do Fixed Charge notices or disqualification notices or penalty point notices come by Registered Post or ordinary post?

If it's ordinary post and you do not recieve your notice, how can you prove it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Do Fixed Charge notices or disqualification notices or penalty point notices come by Registered Post or ordinary post?

Ordinary post.

You can't. How can you prove a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ella Diablo

Paulw wrote: »
    Ordinary post.

You can't. How can you prove a negative?

What should you do though?

And is there a time limit on the date a summons can be delivered, e.g does it have to be delivered a certainnumber of weeks before a court date, or can it be delvered at any time before the court date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Evidence can be given by getting into the witness box and telling the court.

Evidence can be given by getting into the witness box and telling the court.

Which sounds terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭lawfilly

And is there a time limit on the date a summons can be delivered, e.g does it have to be delivered a certainnumber of weeks before a court date, or can it be delvered at any time before the court date?

A summons has to be delivered within six months of the date of alleged offence.

lawfilly wrote: »

Thank you. I am asking for a friend, and what they asked is whether it has to be delivered a certain time in advance of the court date, possibly to give the person time to prepare. or can it be delivered at any time..up to the day before, or the week before or a few weeks before?

I think was applied for and issued within the 6 months, but it was delivered to her outside of that. About 7 or 8 months after the offense, I am fairly certain.

Thank you. I am asking for a friend, and what they asked is whether it has to be delivered a certain time in advance of the court date, possibly to give the person time to prepare. or can it be delivered at any time..up to the day before, or the week before or a few weeks before?

Anytime within six months! I would advise your friend to get legal advice in advance of any court date. Going to court can be intimidating if youre not used to the procedures. Free advice can be sought from any Free Legal Aid Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Correction a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the date of the alleged offence. There is then, if memory serves me correctly, another 6 months to serve the summons.

• Advertisement

I think was applied for and issued within the 6 months, but it was delivered to her outside of that. About 7 or 8 months after the offense, I am fairly certain.

Get legal advice if there is an issue with the date. Have solicitor check it over. In the event that the summons is out of date he/she may apply to have the charges struck.

Anytime within six months! I would advise your friend to get legal advice in advance of any court date. Going to court can be intimidating if youre not used to the procedures. Free advice can be sought from any Free Legal Aid Centre.

She knows. I think money is an issue. Thanks for your help, it is apreciated.

source wrote: »
    Correction a summons must be applied for within 6 months of the date of the alleged offence. There is then, if memory serves me correctly, another 6 months to serve the summons.

Ok, thanks. The court date is very close to when she was served the summons. I think it's only a few weeks from when she got it. It was issued weeks before she got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Ok, thanks. The court date is very close to when she was served the summons. I think it's only a few weeks from when she got it. It was issued weeks before she got it!

I can't remember which, but summonses need to be served either 5 or 7 clear days before the court date. A few weeks is perfectly acceptable.

source wrote: »
    I can't remember which, but summonses need to be served either 5 or 7 clear days before the court date. A few weeks is perfectly acceptable.

Ah, well then!

If she could prove that she never got the letter..

Ah, well then!

If she could prove that she never got the letter..

Any defect in service is cured by the person turning up in court! Generally service is either effected in person or by registered post. The summons exists to make sure you turn up in court to answer the complaint.

Fixed penalty notices automatically generate a summons when not paid after 28 days.

Any defect in service is cured by the person turning up in court! Generally service is either effected in person or by registered post. The summons exists to make sure you turn up in court to answer the complaint.

She wasn't supposed to be going to court in the first place, and was expecting whatever fine and/or penalty in the post but she didn't get that. It seems like court's inevitable, I understand that.

Advertisement