Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Was that Lamborghini engine being used by Scuderia Italia in 1993? As I recall McLaren opted for peugeot which was a disaster, jordan ended up with them a year later as cast offs and did ok despite it being 30kg over weight and costing about 50 points and multiple podiums by blowing up. Lambo ditched F1 when Mclaren didnt sign up. *edit: google has reminded me it was larousse F1 with the lamborghini motor.

Larrousse used the Lamborghini engines in 1993, Scuderia Italia used Ferrari V12's.

As for Jordan, the engines Peugeot supplied to Jordan in 1997 had plenty of power. The Jordan 197 was a very good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Larrousse used the Lamborghini engines in 1993, Scuderia Italia used Ferrari V12's.

As for Jordan, the engines Peugeot supplied to Jordan in 1997 had plenty of power. The Jordan 197 was a very good car.

I recall a quote from Gary Anderson that was somewhat less than complimentary about Peugeot. Something like, "Right Monsieur Jordan, 'ere is your engines for the season. See you next year." They got about one update all year long for the faster tracks at Hockenheim and Monza and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Jean Eric Vergne just confirmed he will not return to Torro Rosso next year

https://twitter.com/jeanericvergne/status/537612225587195904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

bbability wrote: »
    Jean Eric Vergne just confirmed he will not return to Torro Rosso next year

https://twitter.com/jeanericvergne/status/537612225587195904

To which Jenson replied...

https://twitter.com/JensonButton/status/537654310591803392

Suggesting Jenson is staying? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jenson hoping he will be staying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd take half a second slower if they sounded nicer.

but but... they do sound nicer this year, as in the don't have a horrible high pitch scream which is damagingly loud. High pitched whines don't sound good no matter how loud
    yeah, I went there again
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but but... they do sound nicer this year, as in the don't have a horrible high pitch scream which is damagingly loud. High pitched whines don't sound good no matter how loud
    yeah, I went there again
    ;)

Burn him! He's the witch! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like the sound. Screaming engines are just outdated relics of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

jenson hoping he will be staying

I was listening to Lewis Hamilton on 5live and reading between the lines Mclaren may sign option 4 : Stoffel Vandoorne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, it would sit better with alot of people if they got rid of button and magnussen instead of just dumping button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think it would be better for Button to stay, Honda could do with strong results with it being their first year back in the sport. K-Mag has potential but I think having him in a team like McLaren so early wasn't the best idea.

It would also be a shame for him to not be in F1 at all next year, but it looks like there are no seats for him. And putting him in a 3rd driver role might not work either mainly because they already have Vandroorne there in waiting, which would mean he would have to leave. Its a case of there being not enough room at the inn for everyone.

Gintonious wrote: »
    And putting him in a 3rd driver role might not work either mainly because they already have Vandroorne there in waiting, which would mean he would have to leave. Its a case of there being not enough room at the inn for everyone.
    I'd say Jenson would have no problem moving to a different series or even becoming a presenter if he loses his seat, I wouldn't see him taking a 3rd driver role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!! This is supposed to be F1. Anyone who has ever been to a race will know how past F1 cars used to make you feel, the earth shattering sound that would reverberate deep in your chest. Even watching on TV this year - when the red light sequence counts down, there was a pathetic mild rumble. A real shame.

If you want to hear tyre squeal, head on down to Kylemore.

^ because you can't have both :) Tire squeal was always there, we just couldn't hear it with the noise of the engine. Reduce that noise, & other things like crowds & tires then become audible. Increase the noise, & they go bye bye

HighLine wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!!
    Tyre squeal would give you more information about the car for one thing.

Actually, hearing the crowd this year I think did add to the excitement of races. I'd never heard the cheering before, it never even dawned on me that F1 fans would be cheering on the cars. There were some great moments in Brazil where the crowd reacted to overtakes that really added to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

My favourite was the roar at Monza when Hamilton made Rosberg choke at the the first chicane.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Actually, hearing the crowd this year I think did add to the excitement of races. I'd never heard the cheering before, it never even dawned on me that F1 fans would be cheering on the cars. There were some great moments in Brazil where the crowd reacted to overtakes that really added to the atmosphere.

Fully agree there, the crowd noises add a lot to the race. I remember the cheering for Ricciardo in Australia back in March, brilliant stuff.

HighLine wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!! This is supposed to be F1. Anyone who has ever been to a race will know how past F1 cars used to make you feel, the earth shattering sound that would reverberate deep in your chest. Even watching on TV this year - when the red light sequence counts down, there was a pathetic mild rumble. A real shame.
    Apart from the 80s eh?
    Tyre squeal would give you more information about the car for one thing.

Watch classic F1 on BBC when it's on, crowds used to be audible. I don't know if it was sound mixing or ticket prices that changed that. Hungary was particularly good in the late 90s with Schumi and Hakkinen fighting it out with thousands of Finns in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I wonder, is there a more efficient way of making more noise with the same amount of energy? Please don't say trumpets. :o

Twin exhausts and two turbos....but that would need a significant rule change.

As an aside, I was at Silverstone in '88 when the turbo's had their swansong. What struck me about them then in comparrison to the V8 atmos was how quiet the turbo's were on light throttle, e.g. around Woodcote Chicane. The racket they made at full tilt down the hanger straight was another matter entirely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

GarIT wrote: »
    Physics says no. To create noise you need to use energy from elsewhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Noise in an engine is caused by friction or vibrations, neither are good.
    The noise is muted by the exhaust being fed into the turbo rather than straight out the side.

• Advertisement

So Hulkenberg is having a go at LeMans this year, nice.

Also, am I the only one here who is happy that we didn't see that stupid Vettel finger at all for the whole season???

I'd say Jenson would have no problem moving to a different series or even becoming a presenter if he loses his seat, I wouldn't see him taking a 3rd driver role.

Sorry, I was referring to Mag or Van, no way at all Button would do a 3rd role. Better to leave than do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The noise is muted by the exhaust being fed into the turbo rather than straight out the side.

You cant just mute noise, you have to absorb it. i.e the turbo takes its power from the energy that would normally be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Apart from the 80s eh?

Watch classic F1 on BBC when it's on, crowds used to be audible. I don't know if it was sound mixing or ticket prices that changed that. Hungary was particularly good in the late 90s with Schumi and Hakkinen fighting it out with thousands of Finns in the crowd.

I can tell you that in the late 90s they were plenty loud! I'll never forget being on my way to the track in Monza, when still a couple of miles away we heard the thundering scream of an engine in the distance. Sent a shiver down my spine and it's something I'll never forget. Can't imagine too many people would say the same about the V6s.

free issue of recent gpplus magazine today
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

free issue of recent gpplus magazine today
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Cheers Ghost Train. Good spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Time to start the 2015 thread? :)

Susie Wolff will be Williams official test driver next year with Nasr going to Sauber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I just wonder, I just wonder, if Susie is a spy :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I just wonder, I just wonder, if Susie is a spy :rolleyes:
    Or maybe Toto is.:eek:
    Williams did do rather well this year.:pac:

wonder do they have a race car bed

5103046661_4fcb6c24cf.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rosberg, Sainz, Verstappen and possibly Magnussen Jnr next year. We need to find out which drivers are producing male heirs and then plonk many fivers on with Paddy Power at 500/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Marussia stuff being sold off, worth looking at just for all the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Vettel had his first run in the Ferrari today, the 2012 car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Looking through those pics make me very sad.:(

Hope we don't lose a Button in the next day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

B3w78_yCUAAL9Ve.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Bet he just wanted to drive the V8 again.

Back to baby tantrums and whinging with the V6 at the next testing session I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Caterham have been given dispensation to compete in 2015 with this year's car should a buyer be found for the team.
    With the decision to be ratified by this week's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Doha, it would allow a new owner to at least be in F1 with a base on which to build for 2016.

Administrator Finbarr O'Connell said: "The F1 Commission and FIA agreed if it would assist the weaker teams they can use the 2014 car next year, so giving them more time and options.

Linky - http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/2/9588291/formula-one-caterham-will-be-allowed-to-use-this-years-car-in-the-2015-f1-championship

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That makes no sense to me. What's the odds that they'll rack up a DNQ?

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Caterham have been given dispensation to compete in 2015 with this year's car should a buyer be found for the team.

Linky - http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/2/9588291/formula-one-caterham-will-be-allowed-to-use-this-years-car-in-the-2015-f1-championship

There isn't really much change in the regulations for next year, 2014 cars would technically be legal in 2015, I guess putting this out is mostly to trying to smooth the way for the Caterham sale.
    That makes no sense to me. What's the odds that they'll rack up a DNQ?

They should be alright unless the Mercs find another 2 seconds or so, they were usually in by at least 2 seconds most of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

before we start the 2015 F1 thread, what are the changes for the cars for 2015 that would make it so different to this year's?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Since when are teams required to have new cars for the following season? I remember in the early 00's Ferrari had a habit of starting seasons with a modified version of their previous years car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Or maybe Toto is.:eek:
    Williams did do rather well this year.:pac:

Is Toto not still a shareholder in williams?

Bit off topic but Honda's Twitter has been hacked :D

-edit Seems it wasn't hacked and Skeletor is just part of their new advertising campaign.

OSI wrote: »
    16% still apparently, even though he sold a good few some months back.

His shareholding in the team probably had a big influence on Williams' decision to switch from Renault to Mercedes power units.

Bit off topic but Honda's Twitter has been hacked :D

-edit Seems it wasn't hacked and Skeletor is just part of their new advertising campaign.
    Yep, looks that way. He also pops up on their home page when you open it up.:)

It's a bit different as marketing ploys go, but hey, it seems to be getting a bit of attention, so it must be working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Anyone reckon that us mere f1 cretins could pick up something small from this?

Horrible to see the photos and think of the carcass picking that will ensue:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement