Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Sea Fishing Reports 2014/2015

Options
  • 07-11-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Lads,
    as the title says,hoping to get this thread going so we could report where's fishing ok(or terrible!),where fish are showing,what fish are about,what their taking and anything else usefull ye would like to contribute.
    I'm hoping to do a bit sunday,so hopefully i'll have something positive to report then!
    cheers,
    squidly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Cork harbour and east cork are fishing excellent now , big rays and cod being taken from the shore
    I have seen cod up to 4/5lb landed and some bigger ones snapped in trying to lift them out of water
    Specimen rays being caught also although not be me just yet but I had some thornbacks and blonde rays

Out again tomorrow will get a few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That's great to hear popsy. I would have thought all the freshwater would have kept them out in deeper water for the moment. Are there whiting about too?

SeaFields wrote: »
    That's great to hear popsy. I would have thought all the freshwater would have kept them out in deeper water for the moment. Are there whiting about too?

Very few whiting being caught from The shore but I was looking at the light lines comp results for out in the harbour and 90% of the fish was whiting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

Were the thornies and blondes taken from shore or boat?

.red. wrote: »
    Were the thornies and blondes taken from shore or boat?

From shore I'm just going collecting bait now and heading out later I'll try get few pics if we come across some

• Advertisement

popsy09 wrote: »
    From shore I'm just going collecting bait now and heading out later I'll try get few pics if we come across some
    Cheers. Havent heard of too many blondes caught from the shore so thats a good catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kingfish

Any thing on the east sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Not so good is West cork
    a few dogfish but that's all

bad night the office , big tides and lots of fresh water coming down ,end result was dog fish after dog fish no matter where we went

i seen a few small cod ling and ray being caught but overall it was poor

Doggies 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I went fishing this afternoon/evening(4:00-7:00) near garretstown at a rock mark which is a fairly well known spot for mackeral during the summer,using lugworm and mackeral,first time trying bait fishing there.
    There wasnt much happening,got a small flounder on lug,small gurnard on mack and a dogfish on mack.no whiting or codling,not even pin.
    anyone fish off the quay in cobh recently?

squidly wrote: »
    I went fishing this afternoon/evening(4:00-7:00) near garretstown at a rock mark which is a fairly well known spot for mackeral during the summer,using lugworm and mackeral,first time trying bait fishing there.
    There wasnt much happening,got a small flounder on lug,small gurnard on mack and a dogfish on mack.no whiting or codling,not even pin.
    anyone fish off the quay in cobh recently?

had few small codling nothing major , you should go to the wall in monkstown nearly guaranteed codling there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dunno if it shows interest but I used to get plenty of codling and pollock in dunlaoighre using a float with.........maggots.
    Believe me or not but it works.

MAGGOTS !!! Are the pollock and codling of any size^^

Went chasing ray last night in east cork. Got to the beach and the surf and surges were so big it wasnt safe. Change of venue and we went after codling. Surf was massive here too but the surges werent too bad.
    End result was 3 codling each, nothing huge but all pan sized. Kept 2 each that were deep hooked. We expected more but the surf was probably too big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Anything round North Dublin?

Kingfish wrote: »
    MAGGOTS !!! Are the pollock and codling of any size^^

Had a few over two pound but most would be quite small.
    Would also get wrasse and rockling aswell.
    Amazing some things you'll get on weird bait
    For instance I've caught dogfish on a rasher and I seen a lad catch an octopus but he has strip of mackerel

Amazing some things you'll get on weird bait
    For instance I've caught dogfish on a rasher and I seen a lad catch an octopus but he has strip of mackerel

Ive heard of whiting caught on the skin of kfc chicken. Waste of good junkfood if you ask me tho lol.

Jesus no. Rather go home than give away some KFC skin.
    I love fishing but not that much :)

Jasus lads stop getting hungery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.red. wrote: »
    Ive heard of whiting caught on the skin of kfc chicken. Waste of good junkfood if you ask me tho lol.

We must know the same lads... heard that from a mate before

Out again last night chasing ray. We had a few dogs, 1 smallish codling and a single ray of about 5ish lbs. Fishing was slow, it got a bit better as the tide turned with the dogs coming on the feed but i was getting tired and headed off.

I was out around mizen head today on the boat had a great day we hit shoals of coalfish at times its was unreal
    I had 6 at once on a 10ft ugly stick salmon rod was great crack I said my goal was to try break the rod in a fish but so far its standing up to the challenge ha
    Plenty Pollock and cod few ling also
    I'll be definitely heading back down that way such a nice place too

Went out to the bull wall late last night. Had no rag so was using sandeels. Absolutely hundreds of tiny whiting milling the bait every cast. Caught quite a few but far to small to keep. No idea if there was anything else there as couldn't get past the whiting.

Is it deeper water you need for the bigger whiting? Years ago we would get some lovely sized ones in the deep water quay in Ringaskiddy Cork. 100 feet of water straight down and we would get whiting up to 2 lbs at times.

Many, many winter venues seem to hold shoals of pin whiting. Is it the fact they are shallow venues? Anyone got some insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Here is a stupid question but what would one fish for off rocks this time of year besides pollock and what bait would be used

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PG.Tips

Well I've been twice recently and not caught a thing. Off some rocks down towards Dingle, using lures and a spinning rod.

The last time I was hopeful as high tide was just as it got dark, but nuttin :0

Time before I saw a nice size Bass jump, but that was the closest I got !

Each to their own and all that but I've always preffered bait fishing from the shore,especially at this time of year.

Obviously different baits work well in different areas but I've always found ragworm hard to beat.

I was talking to a buddy there and he said Cork harbour is fishing very well from all shore marks for cod and whiting.

• Advertisement

Wonder would howth harbour be any good?

Advertisement