Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Bryant Whelans Nov 6th....

• 15-06-2014 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard a rumour that Joe Bonamassa will join him on stage?
    Jaysus that would be too good to be true!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

terrydel wrote: »
    Anyone heard a rumour that Joe Bonamassa will join him on stage?
    Jaysus that would be too good to be true!

Joe will be in States touring in November according to his site and is playing on 5th and 7th so unlikely I'm afraid.
    I doubt we'll see Joe here again, we don't have enough people with taste here, unfortunately, so wouldn't get the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Joe will be in States touring in November according to his site and is playing on 5th and 7th so unlikely I'm afraid.
    I doubt we'll see Joe here again, we don't have enough people with taste here, unfortunately, so wouldn't get the numbers

Yeah, I had a look at his tour dates after I posted and unless he has a very quick private plane and a lot of red bull he aint gonna be at this gig.
    Ah well, will have to get to see him somewhere else.

March next year London, looks like the closest he'll be...

March next year London, looks like the closest he'll be...

Might try get to see him in Amsterdam, nice trip and a good gig, cant beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Why do you think he won't play here again? He's played here a few times before, including Vicar St in 2009 and 2010. So I think there is a good following for him here.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have also played Vicar St and they've played here regularly over recent years.

I think it may be just that when bands play Ireland, it seems to be on every second UK or European tour.

An example of this is Motorhead.

Whenever they play here, they would tour the following year in the UK which would not include a date in Ireland, but that the next tour would include Dublin, like when they played the Ambassador in 2004 and 2006 and the Olympia in 2008.

• Advertisement

Why do you think he won't play here again? He's played here a few times before, including Vicar St in 2009 and 2010. So I think there is a good following for him here.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have also played Vicar St and they've played here regularly over recent years.

I think it may be just that when bands play Ireland, it seems to be on every second UK or European tour.

An example of this is Motorhead.

Whenever they play here, they would tour the following year in the UK which would not include a date in Ireland, but that the next tour would include Dublin, like when they played the Ambassador in 2004 and 2006 and the Olympia in 2008.
    Good points there. I'd agree with you.

Good points there. I'd agree with you.

I was thinking, taking in account that the Black Country Communion gig in July 2011 was also held in Vicar St, it might be worth contacting Aiken Promotions to see if they plan to bring Joe Bonamassa over.

I know Joe has played here many times, I've been to all of them right back to the Village with barely 100 there
    I feel Joe won't play here again, because he has changed his policy and is now playing more prestigious venues, to much larger crowds. I just don't think he would get the numbers here in say the O2 or whatever it's called now.
    Unfortunately for some reason Blues is not well supported here, whereas in the UK and Europe Joe has a huge following

I know Joe has played here many times, I've been to all of them right back to the Village with barely 100 there
    I feel Joe won't play here again, because he has changed his policy and is now playing more prestigious venues, to much larger crowds. I just don't think he would get the numbers here in say the O2 or whatever it's called now.
    Unfortunately for some reason Blues is not well supported here, whereas in the UK and Europe Joe has a huge following

I still think it'd be useful to enquire to promoters here to see if they are interested in bringing him over.

You'd often hear bands saying they'll play wherever they are invited, or asked to play, by promoters in the various countries, so I'd like to think Joe Bonamassa isn't deliberately avoiding Ireland!:D

I certainly don't think Joe is avoiding Ireland.
    I just don't think we'll be high on his agenda. In the promo video he put out before the release of his dvd's of his 4 epic concerts in London he spoke about he and his manager deciding that to push on with his exposure they should change from playing small venues for promoters to booking prestigious venues themselves and promoting their own shows and that this policy has really worked and this is the format they are going to follow, as he is now getting noticed by a much larger audience.
    With that logic I just feel that they would find it hard to fill the a larger venue here.
    I would love to see Joe here again and would certainly be first in line for a ticket if it happens, and preferably in a smaller venue...

• Advertisement

I certainly don't think Joe is avoiding Ireland.
    I just don't think we'll be high on his agenda. In the promo video he put out before the release of his dvd's of his 4 epic concerts in London he spoke about he and his manager deciding that to push on with his exposure they should change from playing small venues for promoters to booking prestigious venues themselves and promoting their own shows and that this policy has really worked and this is the format they are going to follow, as he is now getting noticed by a much larger audience.
    With that logic I just feel that they would find it hard to fill the a larger venue here.
    I would love to see Joe here again and would certainly be first in line for a ticket if it happens, and preferably in a smaller venue...

By booking venues themselves, are they not taking a risk, in that the cost of renting the venue is on them, before any tickets are sold? I guess also the cost of advertising the shows is on them?

Whereas if they work with a promoter, the cost of renting the venue and advertising would be on the promoter, but in that case, Joe Bonamassa would still get his fee for playing the gig, regardless of how well tickets sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 laklaker

He is a great singer. He's music makes me feel ancient times.

By booking venues themselves, are they not taking a risk, in that the cost of renting the venue is on them, before any tickets are sold? I guess also the cost of advertising the shows is on them?

Whereas if they work with a promoter, the cost of renting the venue and advertising would be on the promoter, but in that case, Joe Bonamassa would still get his fee for playing the gig, regardless of how well tickets sell?

This was their big worry, apparently, but they decided to go down this road and it appears to have worked out for them, if you look at the venues and crowds Joe is now playing to

This was their big worry, apparently, but they decided to go down this road and it appears to have worked out for them, if you look at the venues and crowds Joe is now playing to

I hope, if they continue with that policy, that they don't avoid Ireland.

Were you at Robert Cray in the Olympia in June 2010, the previous time to that, as far as I know, that he played here, was Vicar Street in 2001.

And before that I think the Dublin Blues Festival, I think that was in July 1995.

When he played in 2010, it was the same night as Slash in Vicar Street, which was unfortunate, as I'd imagine there'd be lots of lead guitar fans who'd like them both.

Missed Robert Cray that time which is not good. It's not often we get great guitar players here, so you have to get there when they do come

Missed Robert Cray that time which is not good. It's not often we get great guitar players here, so you have to get there when they do come

I went to Robert Cray in 2001 and then in the Olympia in 2010, but I'd like him to play more often!:)

It is interesting that there's still certain bands and musicians who haven't been over here more often. I wonder why hasn't Bob Seger played here in recent years. I guess there's enough of a population of gig go-ers in the States, to play there more regularly?

I was well happy that Tom Petty played in here 2012, considering 1992 was the previous time he toured here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

My thoughts are unless the show gets huge publicity no one goes. For example Gary Clark Jr playing the Button Factory this year a decent enough crowd but playing to a hell of a lot more in the UK .Blackberry Smoke at the Academy probably 350 at it but the much larger venues in the UK probably all sold out . Band Of Friends last week in The Village about 50 people there and was it last year the Kenny Wayne Shepherd show was cancelled he was due to play the Button Factory so you maybe sure that wasn't sold out or I'm sure it would have happened. So between a lack of promotion and a population that has to be spoonfed it's hard to see things getting any better . Finally look at all the acts that are playing in London currently and none of them playing here.

win2one wrote: »
    My thoughts are unless the show gets huge publicity no one goes. For example Gary Clark Jr playing the Button Factory this year a decent enough crowd but playing to a hell of a lot more in the UK .Blackberry Smoke at the Academy probably 350 at it but the much larger venues in the UK probably all sold out . Band Of Friends last week in The Village about 50 people there and was it last year the Kenny Wayne Shepherd show was cancelled he was due to play the Button Factory so you maybe sure that wasn't sold out or I'm sure it would have happened. So between a lack of promotion and a population that has to be spoonfed it's hard to see things getting any better . Finally look at all the acts that are playing in London currently and none of them playing here.

Just got a refund on 4 of the 8 tickets I bought, gonna give 4 to me old man. Cant go myself cos I booked to go and THE Blues (Everton :) ) a few weeks after, forgetting about the gig until it was too late.
    Was at Gary Clark Jr's gig, there was a good crowd there but its a small venue so not difficult.
    I agree tho, we just dont seem to have the audience for this type of music which is a shame.

win2one wrote: »

I can't remember, what the reason was, for the Kenny Wayne Shepherd cancellation.

Did his other dates on that tour go ahead as scheduled?

Living Colour were due to play the Button Factory tonight, Sunday 2nd November, but it along with other dates on their European Tour were cancelled and they are looking at rescheduling them.

http://www.metalireland.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61264

http://www.livingcolour.com/news/living-colour-cancel-2014-european-tour/

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, Living Colour have regrettably
    cancelled their forthcoming European tour which was set to kick-off on October 25 in Paris, France and run through to November 19 in Rheine, Germany.

Tickets can be refunded at point of purchase.

Living Colour are returning to the studio to finish recording their upcoming album, Shade, scheduled for release in Spring of 2015.

They will return to Europe next year, and new dates will be announced shortly.

The band is disappointed they are forced to cancel the tour, and apologize for any inconvenience caused. They appreciate their fans’ support and understanding at this time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

The rest of Kenny W S tour went ahead alright he played the following night in London , coincidentally he's been in the UK this past week !

• Advertisement

Did anyone go to the Danny Bryant gig? How was it?
    Did Joe Bonamassa show?!!!

Did anyone go to the Danny Bryant gig? How was it?
    Did Joe Bonamassa show?!!!

The gig was great. I'd be well into seeing him again.

During one of the songs someone was recording and they'd the light on their camera phone on because the stage was quite dark.

Danny looked up and said something with reference to the light shining and the chap with camera went to stop recording but Danny was good natured about it and replied with humour, that he didn't mind the recording, that he just thought it was a Dalek!!:)

Joe wasn't there. He was never meant to be there. I think the blurb about the gig on Whelan's site was misinterpreted.

The title on the website stated 'Danny Bryant plus guest'.

Then the text accompanying the title of the gig started with a quote by Joe Bonamassa complimenting Danny Bryant, so I think some people thought it read 'plus guest Joe Bonamassa'. :)

Did anyone see Simon McBride in Whelans a few days beforehand? I saw him in March but missed him recently

The gig was great. I'd be well into seeing him again.

During one of the songs someone was recording and they'd the light on their camera phone on because the stage was quite dark.

Danny looked up and said something with reference to the light shining and the chap with camera went to stop recording but Danny was good natured about it and replied with humour, that he didn't mind the recording, that he just thought it was a Dalek!!:)

Joe wasn't there. He was never meant to be there. I think the blurb about the gig on Whelan's site was misinterpreted.

The title on the website stated 'Danny Bryant plus guest'.

Then the text accompanying the title of the gig started with a quote by Joe Bonamassa complimenting Danny Bryant, so I think some people thought it read 'plus guest Joe Bonamassa'. :)

Did anyone see Simon McBride in Whelans a few days beforehand? I saw him in March but missed him recently

Glad you enjoyed it.
    My double booking to see Everton play wasn't a total disaster either, we won 3-0!
    I knew Joe wasn't gonna be there, was only messing! I knew as soon as I booked the tickets and checked out his schedule. Would have been more than happy to go along anyway, but then I went and arranged the trip to the match, totally forgetting about the gig!

Advertisement