Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will JC affect my future?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm really scared for JC next year. I'm doing very poorly in Maths,and Irish seems to be my weakest subject. If i fail certain subjects,lets say,Irish and Maths,will it affect my future & points?

I really want to work as a chemist or digital artist,and i'm afraid maths is involved in either of those two.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What are you calling doing 'very poorly'?
    What sort of marks are you getting?
    Are you taking any subjects at Foundation Level?

A poor JC could affect which class you get into for LC (in some schools) so there is that to consider. If you carry on failing Irish and Maths into LC it could certainly have a bad effect on your college options.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Well failing JC maths (for example) won't affect your leaving cert points directly (as in they don't count any 'points' or grades from your JC.. If you didn't already know that?)

But if you fail all through JC maths it's quite likely you'll do the same at LC level (once you're trying your hardest right now that is).. Are we talking HL maths here though? Because you can always drop to OL, you don't have to count maths for points when your LC comes around!
    And chemistry definitely involves maths but it's a lot simpler than the maths you'd do in a maths degree!
    Don't worry too much, you can always drop a level (to OL or FL), or get grinds to help you perhaps??
    And there's still loads of time to work towards passing in your JC! Stay positive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Unfortunately a lot of maths in involved with being a chemist, and perhaps the digital artist if you decide to go down the programming route as well.

Practice is what makes perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 markh123

I had the same difficulty with subjects but honestly it is entirely up to the student. Most students are capable but WE don't
    apply ourselves and this causes high stress in lead up to exams especially state exams. I am doing all honors subjects for my 2015 junior cert and I hope to pull 6 A's 3 B's and 2 C's. So set your targets and improve them. Maths is a fundamental and if you can manage either paper 1 or 2 just try and get a high C or low B in that.
    I have a passion for Irish but some people struggle with it, It is mainly about memorising things but maths is logic's.
    So you appear to be at 2 ends of the spectrum and honestly they will affect you as if you aren't great to memorise or solve logics your careers need reconsideration. Get grinds in both.

Advertisement