Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyslexia testing.

• 25-11-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

I have been looking online for dyslexia tests and mainly get question forms to process a guess.
    I am pretty sure I have auditory dyslexia and also mildly for symbols like numbers and letters. But I can't afford to pay for testing. Not even close..
    I was wondering if there are any colleges around that might be testing or some other way I could find out for sure if I have auditory dyslexia.
    I am mainly concerned with the auditory part becuase i want to know if this is one of the root issues that might cause me to tire out when socializing.

I get really tired processing conversations with people.
    Like a dopamine burn out, which means after an hour or two with people who talk a lot, I am completely drained.
    I'd like to be sure this isn't a dyslexia issue before I move on to other areas.
    I had put this down to being an introvert and had read that introverts can be very dopamine sensitive. But I think I have a lingering feelign it's confounded more by having trouble combining audiocues with my visual thinking. Everythign I hear I convert to visuals in order to think about it.
    Personality tests(Myers&Briggs) over the last 5 years or more have changed on the last twoletters, but the first two have always been I (introverted 90%+) and N (intuitive 75%+).

Anyway, I think this is a shot in the dark, after looking at the fees and process quickly.
    But worth a try
    Maybe I can be a guniea pig for some students :D

I was doing some more research after posting.
    http://www.discoveringdyslexia.com/characteristics.html

This sounds an awfull lot like me, but without the traits that also seem to match atusim.
    There seem to be traits mentioned there that I know are expressed in autism/aspergers etc.

One thing I did find very interesting is the symptom of being prone to ear infections..
    What is the reasoning for that symptom?
    I personally have my own theory on one possible cause for autism, relating to fungal or yeast issues in the gut at a young age or in the womb, causing leaky gut syndrome later, which releases waste particles into the blood and effects brain function/development and nutrition intake.
    The addition of autism symptoms in the dyslexia symptoms, seems to point to a form of autism or a link.
    However all my online tests seem to show me well off the autistic spectrum.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have you thought about contacting the DAI for advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I can't see what good it will do. They must get a good few people with no money at all looking for info on free tests.
    They state on that in certain special situations the price can be reduced to E250 or something like that.
    I am not seeking any kind of certificate. But a chance to go through some tests to find out for myself to what extent I might have auditory dyslexia and if possible the other form with numbers and letters.

I was hoping someone here knows of a college department or some other group who are training in this area and may need an adult test subject.

If nothign comes up here, I might send them an email and inquire about it though, thanks :)
    I guess I first go to the place I trust most, which is forums haha

Advertisement