Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling PhD supervisor you don't want to be an academic?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any current/ex-PhD students here have advice on telling my supervisor that I want to leave academica after I submit (I'm submitting soon and my viva is scheduled for the end of February)? I'm an arts student, so it's pretty much expected that I'll be an academic. My supervisor and my mentor have both taken it for granted from day one that that's my plan, but I've become increasingly convinced that it's not for me. So convinced that I want to start applying for other jobs once I submit.

Anyway, I've gone along with the pretence until now, because any of my fellow students who I've confided in (just a few friends who are also arts people) have said not to tell them until I'm done. No-one seems to have a concrete reason, just a feeling that I'll no longer be a priority for my supervisor, will lose some respect from people etc. Is this true do you think? I kind of feel like I'm being deceptive at present. Plus, if I start applying for jobs outside academia soon, my supervisor would be in a great position to give me a reference. And I don't like the idea of blindsiding him and others who have mentored me when me leaving is a done deal.

If anyone has any thoughts on whether I should/shouldn't broach it sooner, or has any experience of this, I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If wonder why telling them is a big deal? They're working with you on a defined project. What you do after that is your own business. I have three friends finishing their PhDs at the moment. None intend continuing in academia.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Good question. I'm not sure if it is a big deal. My inclination would have been to be straight with him, but as I said, anyone I've mentioned it to has warned me off. I think maybe it's different with the sciences and other subjects with more practical applications - it's kind of expected that you have various options and may go into industry, etc. But with the arts, it seems to be assumed that academia is your end goal. I feel like I'll be letting people down or making them feel they've wasted their time. My mentor even more so than my supervisor (my mentor was my M.A. supervisor - he's retired now but has supported me for years and seems convinced I'll go down the path expected of me). I know I'm probably overthinking it, but I can't help worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sounds like 'displacement activity' :D that's not a technical term, its what my kids always called doing things like making study plans instead of studying!

I am not dismissing your problem, but really it isn't a problem, concentrate on your PhD (we have just had one in the family so I have an idea of what is going on!) and be vague about future plans. 'Oh I can't think that far ahead, for the moment I am totally preoccupied with submitting'.

Your PhD is an end in itself, there is no reason at all why you should conform to someone else's ideas about what you do afterwards. You are under no obligation to go into academia, if everyone did that the situation would very quickly become unbalanced!

looksee wrote: »
    Sounds like 'displacement activity' :D that's not a technical term, its what my kids always called doing things like making study plans instead of studying!

Haha, I suspect you may be on to something there alright!

Seriously though, I have been wondering this for quite a while, and now that it's drawing near I'm kind of nervous about it all. I know you're right, I'm under no obligation...I suppose I'm just projecting thoughts onto people that they probably won't have at all. Way too sensitive for my own good! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I told my supervisor before I started the PhD that I didnt think academia was for me.

Best to be honest I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Just tell them you have been looking at intersting jobs elsewhere (have you?). And if they offer you a job, don't say no:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Say that you're not sure you feel you can commit to a PhD just yet. You want to explore option in industry but may consider returning to academia at a later time.

Recognising that a PhD isn't for you (at this time) is one of the hardest things to do. I've met far too many other really depressed PhD students that are too far in to quit, but not far enough to write up.

Say that you're not sure you feel you can commit to a PhD just yet. You want to explore option in industry but may consider returning to academia at a later time

Bit late for that - I submitted my thesis this week!

Anyway, it's not that the PhD wasn't for me. It was a great experience in a lot of ways and I don't regret it (although that may change depending on how my Viva goes!). I just don't want to stay in academia. I feel bad because I suppose I've misled my supervisor and others by keeping quiet until now,but anyone whose advice I asked seemed to think I should wait. I also thought I'd regret saying anything if I ended up changing my mind later,but that hasn't happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Bit late for that - I submitted my thesis this week!

Anyway, it's not that the PhD wasn't for me. It was a great experience in a lot of ways and I don't regret it (although that may change depending on how my Viva goes!). I just don't want to stay in academia. I feel bad because I suppose I've misled my supervisor and others by keeping quiet until now,but anyone whose advice I asked seemed to think I should wait. I also thought I'd regret saying anything if I ended up changing my mind later,but that hasn't happened...

Ah I mis-read your title.

Well congrats on finishing. I'm looking forward to that moment in about 3 years.

Advertisement