Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike for Newbie

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Looking to get a bike through the cycle to work scheme. Trying to lose weight at the moment and have been cyclying around on a mountain bike which is tough enough so looking to upgrade to a road bike :/

I want the bike for cycling around the back roads of Kildare so it has to be fairly durable. Would love any help as I haven't the first clue about what to look for when buying a bike. Budget is about a 1,000.

Edit I need to get the bike from these guys , http://buildabike.ie/product/bike/giant/ or http://shop.pennyfarthingcycles.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

Why not look into a cyclecross bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Backroads of Kildare aren't so bad.

Of the bikes available to you I'd suggest the Giant Defy 2 as probably the best bet for €1000, you should be able to get some decent discount on that or a nice bit of gear (helmet, bibs ect) thrown in, it'd be quite a n upgrade on an old mountain bike.

In general though most bikes at that budget (unless you buy online from the likes of Rose or Canyon) will be pretty similar, usually Tiagra, solid dependable machines, they are all built to a budget, different manufacturers will take slightly different shortcuts to get there but the end results wont be very different.

Go for one that you like the look of and is comfortable, if you are in between sizes buy the smaller one and change the stem to get the fit right but the shop will set you right on that, if it doesn't go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Bought the Giant Defy 2 thanks :)

Advertisement