Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the Slowest Speed You've Ever Reached on Your Bike

• 22-06-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

It was once raining so I didn't bother going out so on that occasion I reached a speed of 0 both in kilometres per hour and miles per hour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I reversed out of the garage once, -5km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

pelevin wrote: »
    It was once raining so I didn't bother going out so on that occasion I reached a speed of 0 both in kilometres per hour and miles per hour.
    i fell off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I'm doing 0.00 km per hour on the sofa right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

There's some very impressive performances there. Minus 5 is hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

about 30kph going backwards and upside down. didn't manage it for very long though as my shoulder is slightly less good for maintaining progress than wheels are.
    so -30

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

2:50 track stand !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pushing squares up the 13% section of the col du Marie Blanque I saw 4.4 kmph at a cadence of 40. I remember thinking I'd be as well off walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I could win this one. My touring bike has 22 on the front and 34 on the back. When it gets steep, I can comfortably go as slow as 5kmh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

about 30kph going backwards and upside down. didn't manage it for very long though as my shoulder is slightly less good for maintaining progress than wheels are.
    so -30

That's for the "What is the Slowest Speed Your Bike Has Ever Reached on You" thread. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

You know it's time to post in this thread when you hear the Auto Pause beep on a Garmin because of the speed you're trying to go up a hill at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Strange thing happened to me once. I rode at 10mph against a 15 mph headwind. Bizarrely however, I didn't go backwards at 5mph, but actually made forward progress. Take that vectors and laws of physics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

el tel wrote: »
    Strange thing happened to me once. I rode at 10mph against a 15 mph headwind. Bizarrely however, I didn't go backwards at 5mph, but actually made forward progress. Take that vectors and laws of physics!

that's cos you're denser than the wind ;)
    or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You were really putting in the same effort, as if you were cycling at 25mph, in dead calm.. Or something else.
    Maybe it was magic. Magic accounts for a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I went for a spin with Eamonnator once. Does that count? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I actually won the slow bicycle race in a school sports day many years ago
    (c 1975). I was cycling a Triumph 20 and a won a set of Raleigh battery lights for my efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

lennymc wrote: »
    I went for a spin with Eamonnator once. Does that count? :)

Yeah, that was magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

On occasion, because all available road space is filled with cars, I have to cycle as slow as motorised traffic, ie less than walking speed or even 0 km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I'd like to patent a term here...
    I reached 'fall speed' going up Kilmashogue Hill last week.
    i.e went so slow I fell over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

-5kph backwards :o

• Advertisement

The slowest I've ever gone is when I fell over while clipped in. 0 kph, but time seems to slow down as you go timmmmmbeeerrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Slowest I've ever gone while still actually trying (hard) to go forward was a shade under 5kph on the rhs of the church in howth.

I actually won the slow race on track tonight. It's one of my proudest cycling moments! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My beater's rear hub and bb are getting very rough and the rear wheel is badly out true.

Does this count as cheating in the slow races?

My beater's rear hub and bb are getting very rough and the rear wheel is badly out true.

Does this count as cheating in the slow races?

Only of you have brakes, gears or a freewheel. Otherwise it's merely a non performance-enhancing set up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Think the slowest I've gone was on a rainy night on Kilmashogue Lane (it started when i got there :( ), coming to the 20% ramp, I looked down and saw i was doing 7kph. That was soul destroying, view of a rain covered Dublin wasn't even worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

My slowest was only last week when I climbed the kipure mast
    The very last section I was down to 5km,I'd of been quicker getting off the bike and walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was in New York a few years ago and borrowed my friends bike to go for a spin the day I arrived. I was cycling nice and easy at about 15kmph but had forgotten to change the time on my watch. So I arrived back at his house having done approx 20km and changed the time on my watch. I left at 7:20pm and arrived back at 3:36pm on the same day so that works out at -37kmph....beat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When I was cycle touring there were some days you just face into the wind for the entirety with speeds of 5-6kph. In the grand scheme of months on the road it's no great shakes but when your next town/landmark is over 200km away it's a bit of a soulcrusher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement