Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S2 audio output via headphones

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Can any SGS2 users help me out here? I bought an SGS2 this week but the maximum audio volume output via the headphones is terrible. Turning the volume on full blast in the music app and then ramping up every single EQ band in the equaliser to maximum leaves me with a volume about 2/3 that of my previous iPhone 3G. In my experience the volume at maximum should almost be too loud to listen to via headphones but this is nowhere close.

I just need to know if any other SGS2 users can say the same thing about their handsets or if mine is defective so I can work out whether I need to get a replacement unit or if I have to switch completely to a completely different model. I've included a poll. Much appreciated!

At maximum volume in the music app on headphones, my SGS2 is: 2 votes

Too loud to listen to comfortably.
    0% 0 votes
    Comfortable to listen to.
    0% 0 votes
    Quiet.
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Not as loud as my ipod classic while playing the same song so it could be louder

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Thanks for the reply - but how much of a difference? I don't care if it's not quite as loud (my iPhone was probably far too loud at max volume) but what I can get out of the S2 seems a bit ridiculous.

Mmm maybe a 1/5 lower.

It might be that the audio.you are playing is naturally low

Nope, I've been testing on the same tracks with the same headphones. Thanks for letting me know though.

Well its not that low compared to an ipod which I imagine is as good our better than the iphone

• Advertisement

Ha! Well, I'm testing it directly against an iPhone. I've one sitting beside me.

Sounds like you have a dud then. Because i cant imagine the iphone is louder than an ipod classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

shroomfox wrote: »
    Ha! Well, I'm testing it directly against an iPhone. I've one sitting beside me.

Did you read my post in the SG2 thread? Down to what you can do in iTunes with the volume level. Myself and everyone I know who uses an apple mp3 player ramps up the volume in iTunes before syncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ive got a set of Sennheiser cans and while I love to use em the S2 just cant drive them and am looking into getting in inline amp to help boost the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is an EU law regarding maximum volume output. Custom roms can bypass this. You don't need an inline amp, the device is perfectly capable of pumping out enough to damage your buds and eardrums.

When I got the Nexus S originally it was very very quiet, like you describe. An update came out that fixed this. I also tried custom roms (same as galaxy S, voodoo sound mod) that can add bass boost and painfully loud volume.

• Advertisement

Very good point I had to do this for a sony mp 3 and my ipod, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

5/5 people voted for sgs2 is quiet? It's a brand new phone, I bet it has a small bug. Hopefully there will be a patch soon enough.

Aside: I have had some Sennheiser's as well for the last 3 months. Just noticed that the right bud has gone very quiet. Still works, but balance is way off now. Definitely the bud that's faulty, tested it with pc music etc. Can't help but think that this might be related to ludicrous volume mode :pac:

It may be a bug, but that doesnt change the fact that it is quiet….

Advertisement