Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HTC Desire and a Spotify premium account. I can use Spotify as normal on any of my computers, I noticed that the mobile app does not work if you are in Ireland. When I browse the Market on my phone there is no Spotify app to be found and when I download it from the internet and add it using the HTC Sync App installer it just fails to run, saying that it closed unexpectedly.

If anyone out there is able to use Spotify on their iPhone or Android phone please let me know how, I like the program and I really want to get it working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Try using 'MarketEnabler' in the Market. This shows you apps from different countries and carriers. You might need to be rooted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

How are you running it on your computer? Is it through a VPN as its GeoIP locked for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Neither, I just have it installed and running, not using any special trick.

Regards rooting the phone, I've no experience with this, though I have jailbroken my previous iPhone etc. Modding the phone isn't really in my list of things to do, though to hear that Spotify might not work without doing this is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dermighty wrote: »
    Neither, I just have it installed and running, not using any special trick.

That's not possible unless you live in the UK, France, etc..
    Spotify isn't available in Ireland unless you are using a VPN service.

Who is your ISP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

ongarite wrote: »

Who is your ISP?

Works fine for me and my mate. We are both on Imagine/IBB.

spotn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I'm not sure of you need to be rooted or not, go and download marketenabler anyway and give it a go.

I have spotify too, but I just know a Norwegian who made me an account. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

I have been using Spotify desktop and Mobile versions for over 12 months in Ireland. If you signed up for premium account before they pulled them in Ireland you can use it just fine.

Spotify mobile is indeed available in Ireland if you signed up for an Premium account in the past as i said. And even though the mobile app is not available in the Android Market itself, you can download and install it from the mobile version of the Spotify site if you visit it on the phones browser.

If you visit this link below on the phones browser and select your device it will download and install just fine http://m.spotify.com/?do=pick

Just make sure that you enable Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources to allow it to install once it downloads.

When it is installed you should be able to sign in with your premium username and password and off you go, offline syncing and all it is a fantastic app, much better on Android than iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Who is your ISP?

It was at one point opened to subs from Ireland.
    I got a premium account back then and have been using it ever since.
    No issues using the service in Ireland, as they are aware that they have Irish subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I have a premium account in Ireland, got my friend in England to give me his credit card etc...

However, Spotify mobile works without issue on my HTC Hero, just download to .apk from the spotify website and put it on your SD card and you can install it with an app installer...works without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is spotify mobile worth it? What sort of data usage would you go through? And how does the offline listening work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've just signed up using a UK VPN. Turned off the VPN now and Spotify doesn't seem to care. I noticed something about 'unlimited travel' in the feature list, which hopefully means I'm good to go. Will let yous know if it stops working!

Tempted to upgrade the subscription so I can use the mobile app. Worth it?

[edit]
    From their website, seems to suggest it'll work just fine as long as you signup "within" the UK. *cough*.
    Holiday music

With Spotify Premium and Spotify Unlimited you can connect with Spotify when you’re travelling. As long as you purchased Spotify from inside one of our launch countries, you have the perfect holiday companion.

Spotify Free and Spotify Open users - you receive a maximum of two weeks overseas use, after which you’ll need to upgrade to Spotify Premium or Spotify Unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I had a premium account as my boss used his uk card to pay for it.
    It expired in october and I have been using we7, basically its rubbish.

Its a longshot but would anyone have an account which was setup when Ireland was an option who doesnt plan to use it.
    The reason I ask is, my other boss can choose Ireland as the country in his profile and pay with an Irish credit card.
    So anyone who registered before they pulled the country (as said in previous posts) can choose Ireland.

It would be greatly appreciated as i miss the app something terrible.
    Cheers.
    Sham..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

I can send an invite to you if that's any help. One easy way around the credit card is to setup a UK paypal account and use an Irish credit card on it. Spotify doesn't seem to care.

Hmm. I think I did sign-up originally when Ireland was an option but my free account stopped working when they changed it. It's on the same account I've now started paying the subscription. Also noticed that, even though I was using a UK VPN to setup the subscription, the prices were in euro, my profile says clearly I'm in Ireland, and there was no problem using my Irish registered PayPal account.

Anyone know is that different for new sign-ups? Would they block Irish paypal accounts / credit cards in that case, regardless of using a VPN? I'm interested to get a friend signed up to it too.

smackyB wrote: »
    I can send an invite to you if that's any help. One easy way around the credit card is to setup a UK paypal account and use an Irish credit card on it. Spotify doesn't seem to care.

Thanks SmackyB, I don't need an invite as my account is still active but there is no subscription against it.
    I didnt realise you could set up an Irish Card against uk paypal.
    Cheers, I will try it out and get back.

Sham.

sham69 wrote: »
    Thanks SmackyB, I don't need an invite as my account is still active but there is no subscription against it.
    I didnt realise you could set up an Irish Card against uk paypal.
    Cheers, I will try it out and get back.

Sham.

You can't signup at all then with your Irish PayPal account?

Right, it worked.
    I couldnt use my existing mastercard account as it is flagged as already used (against my irish account)
    Luckily its a joint card so the missus has a card and they are on the same account but her card number is different.
    I setup my Irish card in the Uk paypal site (used a uk address , not sure if I had to)
    I then went to spotify, subscription and chose paypal, logged in to my uk one and it worked.

I just cancelled my subscription to We7.
    Many thank again SmackyB, I am forever in your debt.
    I am now listening to all my music again without interuption and in decent quality.

Good stuff, glad to hear that trick still works! :D

Oh cool, my subscription is up soon to so will try use the girlfriends card to set-up UK paypal account...must ask if she has it set-up actually...anyway, thanks for the workaround.

And yes I have tried WE7 as a possible alternative, but by God the interface and the usability of the website is shocking compared to a dedicated application on your PC/Mac...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Grooveshark is so much cheaper (free on desktop, no ads), spotify is a ripoff.

• Advertisement

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Oh cool, my subscription is up soon to so will try use the girlfriends card to set-up UK paypal account...must ask if she has it set-up actually...anyway, thanks for the workaround.

And yes I have tried WE7 as a possible alternative, but by God the interface and the usability of the website is shocking compared to a dedicated application on your PC/Mac...

Hey, just wondering what kind of subscription you have?

The yearly one. Paid in full up front. You get the use of the mobile app too which I find works really well, no adds etc.

Don't like grooveshark, not sure how legal it is too. The website again is not something that I find works too well.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Grooveshark is so much cheaper (free on desktop, no ads), spotify is a ripoff.

Yeah I really don't like grooveshark. You're basically paying (if you want to use their mobile service) for an illegal service that isn't of great quality, has loads of poorly tagged tracks and their web interface is muck.

Easy Rider wrote: »
    The yearly one. Paid in full up front. You get the use of the mobile app too which I find works really well, no adds etc.

Don't like grooveshark, not sure how legal it is too. The website again is not something that I find works too well.

I have the monthly one, but it's automatic, it takes the amount on the start of each month.
    Tbh, I'm not sure, but I thought the yearly one was automatic also.

I have my doubts about grooveshark too!

Ah, Grooveshark is pretty good! Web app works well since they switched from full-flash to HTML5. Nice not having to download an app, imo. And it works anywhere for anyone.

Spotify is definitely a bit nicer, but it's expensive -- with no free option at all and a boat load of hoops to get through before signup is possible in most places.

Since no one really answered my question above... I can confirm that it's not possible to signup with an Irish card or PayPal account, even if you are using a UK VPN. I got past that because I was actually upgrading a free account which I set up back when 'Ireland' was allowed as a location.

no, you can't with an irish card or irish paypal account but you can add your irish card to a UK paypal account and do it that way.
    I did it yesterday and it worked first time.
    I tried grooveshark and about 7 others including We7 and didnt like any of them.
    Spotify is about the best of them.
    I pay monthly and am happy with it.
    I work in a QA environment so listen to it 8 hours a day and then on the way home, 3g on spotify is great whereas the others I have tried (especially we7) are dreadful over 3G.
    I have no affilation to spotify but it is simply the best imo.

Grooveshark webapp is much better than Spotifys dedicated program. Grooveshark mobile was terrible until a few weeks ago, new version works perfectly. You guys paying for Spotify are throwing your money away tbh.

As for the legality? lol? The web app is free, so what do you have to lose? I paid for a VIP account to use the mobile version (was only e10 for a year). In fairness this was **** because it didn't work for a year :) But is fixed now and I'm very happy. So, why should I switch to Spotify and pay 1100% more?

So, why should I switch to Spotify and pay 1100% more?

I just recently switched from Grooveshark to Spotify. Still have my GS sub actually. Think I'll hang onto both for just a little while before deciding which one is better. But at the moment I'm thinking Spotify.

- 'Grooveshark Anywhere' is now $9/month. Not much difference between that and Spotify.

- Spotify also has a free service, just not in this country. I'm sure they're working on expanding.

- Spotify player plays your local music too.

- Finding complete albums on Spotify is simples. Just search for it.

- Finding complete albums on Grooveshark is a nightmare most of the time.

- Grooveshark's legality is very questionable. Even paying $9/month you'd wonder are the artists / labels actually getting any of it? And one of the great new features they introduced since upping the price was an easier way for artists/labels demand their music be taken down. There's just an uncertainty about the whole thing.

- Spotify on the other hand, while it's a pain in the hole that it's not easily obtainable outside a few select countries, is obviously taking their time and doing it right. They're reportedly the second largest source of revenue for labels in Europe. That the money is making its way to the artists you love and not just to some rebellious hacker is worth a few extra quid imo.

Grooveshark is definitely a worthy substitute if you can't get to Spotify... but, in my experience so far, it's not nearly as lovely.

If you were an old subscriber to grooveshark you keep the old price :)

Spotifys free service bombards you with ads = do not want. If Grooveshark is missing music that you want, then just torrent the music and upload it. As for the legality argument again.... lol.

"spotify player plays your local music": Errr.... right.

Noone has mentioned last.fm yet? Used to be good a few years ago, but has gone pay/ads now :( No mobile app either (only scrobbler?).

I got 10GB data allowance and stream from android grooveshark all day. Works flawlessly (since last version, was **** before) for last few months. Can drive around in car with 3g streaming to bluetooth stereo. I don't even bother keeping music locally much anymore.

• Advertisement

If you were an old subscriber to grooveshark you keep the old price :)
    True. And I have. But new people signing up won't get that choice. If we're advising people to sign up for one or the other today, I'd struggle for a reason to suggest Grooveshark.
    If Grooveshark is missing music that you want, then just torrent the music and upload it. As for the legality argument again.... lol.
    Not everyone is going to be as happy as you are just ripping off peoples work. I'm no saint myself but I've always maintained that a good service is worth paying for and I have no problem at all paying a fair price for music I love. In the absence of a good service and/or fair price -- sure, be a trailblazer and work around it. But Spotify is a step in the right direction. I see it as a service worth supporting.
    "spotify player plays your local music": Errr.... right.
    It's better than having to "torrent the music and upload it".

Advertisement