Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10" Archos 101 Internet Tablet is now available in Germany

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I loved the widescreen on the archos! anyway,after reading the froyo update problems I'm glad I brought mine back (not to mention the stuck pixels arghhh can't stand that!!)

I think next year is the safe bet for a tablet :)

by the way, I think the market apk is available now for froyo

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Just bought one of these in Peats as a santy pressie and im eally pi$$ed. First one had a dead/stuck pixel so i replaced it and now I find that this one has about 1/4 of the screen which has a dead zone and wont respond to touch.... overall not impressed and it feels cheap cheap cheap. Also noticed that the name on it is "Archos table" down the bottom of the bezel, it just looks like a cheap chinese knock off!!"$!"£!%"$£

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

alanceltic wrote: »
    Just bought one of these in Peats as a santy pressie and im eally pi$$ed. First one had a dead/stuck pixel so i replaced it and now I find that this one has about 1/4 of the screen which has a dead zone and wont respond to touch.... overall not impressed and it feels cheap cheap cheap. Also noticed that the name on it is "Archos table" down the bottom of the bezel, it just looks like a cheap chinese knock off!!"$!"£!%"$£

If I were you I'd take it back for a refund and buy yourself an iPad. I was really looking forward to the Archos 10 for months but they took ages to release it. I went and tried out the demo iPad in currys last month and ended up buying it. Best thing ever. I know it'll cost you an extra €200 more than the archos but worth every penny if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Boxfresh wrote: »
    If I were you I'd take it back for a refund and buy yourself an iPad...

Have iPad on a loan for a week or so. The hardware aspect of it is just incredible!!! However I can not believe how restrictive iOs is. Apple calls this simplicity and I understand that a lot of people like it that way. There are some of us though that miss that flexibility and ease of customisation that Android offers.

If only we could have an Android tablet in such an excellent hardware enclosure as iPad. Roll on CES 2011.

As for Galaxy Tab, although very well made, I find that 7inch form factor is neither here nor there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Got the 101 myself and was unhappy at first due to viewing angle and dead zones. But have got used to viewing angles and dead zones are easily fixed by recalibrating the screen (done it once at start and has being fine ever since). Ipad is a great piece of kit but if you watch xvids etc you need to transcode everything so not an option for me.

Web browsing is great on the 101 and now i can even watch live tv on mine (from a linux program called tvheadend).

To be fair, VLC is available for iPad and takes care of everything else that isn't .mp4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

didnt know that, there was only crappy media players out for it when i used it earlier this year. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

If only we could have an Android tablet in such an excellent hardware enclosure as iPad. Roll on CES 2011
    thats why we jailbreak our devices ! no restrictions then, job done with one click

better then any droid device then

Sure, sure... you mean like usb ports, hdmi-out ports, front and rear cameras, native tethering, endless customisation options, live wallpapers over multiple screens, widgets, real multitasking, wireless sync and update, etc. Besides, the whole concept of jailbreaking seems (is) illegal and can't be compared to rooting. And speaking of those "devices", there's one tablet, one phone and one mp3 player.

But hey, you like chocolate, I like vanilla. How do you really measure which is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

fransdev wrote: »
    I just installed the Android market and all the apps connected to it, gmail, gtalk, navigation etc and it works like a charm, downloading Skype

how do you download and install Android Market? I got the 7o running 2.2 and am totally new to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Frank11 wrote: »
    how do you download and install Android Market? I got the 7o running 2.2 and am totally new to this.

On the archos 101 I'm running the following so far:

Nook, alkido
    Logmein
    Zeam launcher
    skype -audio only
    smb to win 7 - video streaming, copying files .. etc
    dolphin
    snesnoid

Games:
    Angry Birds every one
    Hungry sharks
    paper toss

Frank11 wrote: »

Linky here + keep an eye on that community.

ps. I see you got another official update today.

Advertisement