Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting phone for a parent

• 20-12-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I didnt know whether to post this in Bargain Requests or here, but here i go.

I want to get a phone for my mum:

She's with Tescomobile & would like a smartphone (arent most of them i thought) she had a slider phone, but fell into water.

I came across two on Tescomobile:

Both come with 4GB
    But i dont see a screen size for the one below
    She wouldnt be bothered with the internet

Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo Blue S5310

Samsung Galaxy Young Blue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I didnt know whether to post this in Bargain Requests or here, but here i go.

I want to get a phone for my mum:

She's with Tescomobile & would like a smartphone (arent most of them i thought) she had a slider phone, but fell into water.

I came across two on Tescomobile:

Both come with 4GB
    But i dont see a screen size for the one below
    She wouldnt be bothered with the internet

Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo Blue S5310

Samsung Galaxy Young Blue

My dad has a Galaxy Y, which I think is the same as the Young. The screen is very small, and he has run out of memory very quickly on it. Also, it has no front camera, so no video calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

My dad has a Galaxy Y, which I think is the same as the Young. The screen is very small, and he has run out of memory very quickly on it. Also, it has no front camera, so no video calls.

Is this the Galaxy Y you're talking about as it seems that its only got
    Internal memory: 160 MB which would run out very quick,
    I got 2GB card for her other phone as the internal had only 50MB & the 2 i mentioned have 4GB internal memory also. But the screen looks small on the Galaxy Pocket?
    Will have to enquire further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=150
    this one has a 3.5inch screen. Though I think I would go with this one and get it unlocked tbh
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-y300
    or the vodafone smart 3
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/vodafone-smart-3-black/vodafone-smart-3-payg-black
    I would go with a larger screen to be honest but thats just me.

My son has the galaxy y, that we got on vodafone in april for 10 euros and its a pretty tiny phone with small ram, meaning it wont be long till its filled up. depends how much you want to spend but I would go with one of those above and if needed, get them unlocked on ebay for around 2 euros

daytob wrote: »
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=150
    this one has a 3.5inch screen. Though I think I would go with this one and get it unlocked tbh
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-y300
    or the vodafone smart 3
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/vodafone-smart-3-black/vodafone-smart-3-payg-black
    I would go with a larger screen to be honest but thats just me.

My son has the galaxy y, that we got on vodafone in april for 10 euros and its a pretty tiny phone with small ram, meaning it wont be long till its filled up. depends how much you want to spend but I would go with one of those above and if needed, get them unlocked on ebay for around 2 euros

Yeah the last one looks good as my brother was looking for one as well as its got the big screen & 4GB internal memory here but i havent been on ebay for years so i wouldnt know where to look to unlock it?

read this thread, goes about hot to unlock it. pretty much 2 mins nearly and its unlocked
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057097520
    dont forget, you get 20 euros off the phone if you port a number over * you can pick up a free sim from tesco if you look for the flyer, just put the sim in an unlocked phone and they send you a code.
    also you can go through fatcheese for even more money off it. * but you might not have enough time online now to get it before Santy arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I'd just be wary of phones with only 4gb internal memory. There's a good chance that the OS is taking up at least half of that, and you might have add little as 1.5gb for your own stuff. That will fill up in no time.

If you get one with an SD card slot, then that's not so bad, but make sure you back stuff up from it regularly. 2 people close to me got corrupted SD cards in the last few weeks, and they both lost fairly precious stuff like family photos.

daytob wrote: »
    read this thread, goes about hot to unlock it. pretty much 2 mins nearly and its unlocked
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057097520
    dont forget, you get 20 euros off the phone if you port a number over * you can pick up a free sim from tesco if you look for the flyer, just put the sim in an unlocked phone and they send you a code.
    also you can go through fatcheese for even more money off it. * but you might not have enough time online now to get it before Santy arrives

Thanks, I'll have a quick look at the thread, i have a few spare Tesco sim cards got free a while ago as my family's with Tescomobile & will cost them more to leave :).

According to here, i may get them before xmas
    Buy online and get

On Next Day Delivery: Order for Christmas by 1pm December 23rd!
    I must enquire in the vodafone shop near me tomoro if their as cheap as online, might get it there?
    I've never actually used Fatcheese as well, always forget about those sites, sadly :o
    I'd just be wary of phones with only 4gb internal memory. There's a good chance that the OS is taking up at least half of that, and you might have add little as 1.5gb for your own stuff. That will fill up in no time.

If you get one with an SD card slot, then that's not so bad, but make sure you back stuff up from it regularly. 2 people close to me got corrupted SD cards in the last few weeks, and they both lost fairly precious stuff like family photos.

Yeah i've seen that, I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Ace (158MB internal memory!) & got a 32GB card from MemoryC in which it only shows up 29.7GB, shocking isnt it?
    As that phone was a throw up between the Sony Xperia E, but chose this one for 5megapixel & thank god i did as the Xperia E didnt have great reviews on the Vodafone site, but it looks like the two i'm getting phones for, are a lot better than mine!

Regarding the memory, as it didnt show on the Vodafone site,

CarphoneWarehouse shows that it has:
    The Smart 3 comes with 4GB internal memory and micro SD slot for up to 32GB additional storage.

So at least that's ok, as i got my mum 2GB sd card as that's all the last phone would take!

Also are these sd cards interchangeable, ie if the 2GB can go into another phone? as i'm still new to this!

Thanks

ok to answer your question yes any sd card can go anywhere it will fit. you can pick up a larger one for little or nothing nowadays * most places online have them for around 8 - 10 euros for 16gb
    with regards to the vodafone smart 3 it has 512mb of ram, meaning this will be most of the running apps. the 4gb or around 2.4gb that is spare can be for music, or photos or anything like that. but take a trip in the morning into vodafone and see if you can get it, I doubt you can but I am not 100% certain you will get the 20 euros off it. no harm in trying.

Thanks for replying, as i was busy looking thru all 14 pages of the thread you mentioned & trying to take it all in Unlocking, Rooting etc :confused:
    & just posted a few questions on it as well, as someone has mentioned that you can get it in store, but gonna ring first in the morning & explain/haggle my story.

unlocking is easy, have done it loads of times. never did rooting though. when you get the unlock code you put your sim card in that is say from 3 or whoever, it asks you for the sim pin code. put this in. then it asks you for the unlock code and this is the code you have bought off ebay. put this in. your phone will be unlocked once you have given the correct details * imei number * to the ebay seller. the phone can now handle any sim card, bring it on holidays with you and buy a sim card on your hols and dont worry about using up your own credit. I know you are tentative about this stuff, but if you are nervous about it, there are loads on here who can help you, and usually will

• Advertisement

Thanks again for your reply, yeah some of it did seem a bit daunting by taking in all that new info as i was almost gonna shell out about near 4 times that on two from Tesco :eek: but thankfully i came across the thread on BA & also explained a few things, but yeah people are kind enough to take the time to explain other things that would baffle you or thinking then you've asked a stupid question

As its a lot better than Tesco customer-service last week when i asked something on the settings of a phone as i just gave up trying to explain, but i've found the manual below as it should help.
    As i havent tried out the rest of my phone i got a few months ago, as there was no manual, but got one on google here as well as the one someone posted here as well, slowly but surely i'll get around to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

some devices will only support up to 4 GB of external storage. check before buying.

Advertisement