Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting set up for apps - beginners guide?

• 10-12-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is covered already, but I can't see it as a sticky and searching didn't throw back anything. I'm sure I'm not the only person facing this sort of issue as we head towards Christmas.

Scenario - the mini-zags are getting a present of a 7" tab this Christmas. I want to set as much up as possible in advance so that we don't have the 2012 equivalent of "Dad forgot the batteries" or "Dad broke the new trainset because he didn't follow the instructions".

Step 1 (or so I thought) - get some credit for Google Play. No can do - you can only buy cards in $.

Step 1 (next iteration) - set up a Google Play account and load on some money from my credit card. No can do - or at least I can't see a button that says "add credit". I can only see "redeem" and as per the first Step 1 - you can only buy vouchers for the US and so you can only redeem vouchers in the US.

Step 1 (part 3) - do some searching and find out that I can use google wallet. No can do - according to their site "Also, keep in mind that the payment card used must be under your name" - which is fine for me, but not fine for the kids.

So, can someone point me in the direction of a *simple* set of instructions that work for Ireland which will result in me being able to configure the device with an account which has (say) €10 credit loaded onto it, such that on Christmas Day when the kids power up the device and immediately want to download some 89c app we don't revert back to the "Dad broke the trainset" of old? Ideally this solution will also limit them to the €10 credit on the account and not allow them to buy €100 worth of games, all backed up by my credit card.

Thanks

z (apparently turning into an old fogie).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Most of the good apps are free. Just setup an account and set it to automatically log in when turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The problem is that at least some of the good apps aren't free and I know the kids will want to download some of them. I'm just trying to make it go as smoothly as possible.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

zagmund wrote: »
    The problem is that at least some of the good apps aren't free and I know the kids will want to download some of them. I'm just trying to make it go as smoothly as possible.

z

Best bet would be to get a "Top up" type credit/debit card and create a Google and Google wallet account with that and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The only thing I can think of is to store your cc details on the device.
    Trust your kids not to buy lots of games and apps.
    Have your emails synced to your phone. Every time an app is downloaded you get an email.
    An app can be refunded once its uninstalled within 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

draffodx wrote: »
    Best bet would be to get a "Top up" type credit/debit card and create a Google and Google wallet account with that and go from there.

Almost certain Google do not accept those prepay credit cards.

You'll have to connect your google wallet to your kids' google play account and rely on threats of confiscation, groundings etc if any apps are purchased without your permission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

polaris68 wrote: »
    Almost certain Google do not accept those prepay credit cards.

You'll have to connect your google wallet to your kids' google play account and rely on threats of confiscation, groundings etc if any apps are purchased without your permission!

Thanks - this sounds workable. I don't think there's a huge risk they will go off and buy apps to beat the band so this should suffice.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You can set up a pin to be entered before buying any apps, just don't tell them the pin, but it is easy enough to get around if they're clever or really want to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

Google do accept prepay credit cards.
    I've got an o2 money card set up in my google wallet and use it to buy apps for my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

yellowbear wrote: »
    Google do accept prepay credit cards.
    I've got an o2 money card set up in my google wallet and use it to buy apps for my phone.

Sorry, I was thinking of 3V prepaid vouchers which didn't work for me.

Advertisement