Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

INSULATED PLASTERBOARD ADVICE PLEASE!!

• 19-02-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good insulated plaster board, I am trying to research which to use, and cannot get passed the salesman spin. I have 60mm Kingspan in the cavity and I want to use either a 52.5mm or 62.5mm (inc plasterboard)kingspan kooltherm or xtratherm depending on price when I go to buy. Is there any difference between the two, both technical departments claim same u values. I have a skim of plaster inside of the external walls. Is there anywhere to buy them except from your local unfriendly builder provider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good insulated plaster board, I am trying to research which to use, and cannot get passed the salesman spin. I have 60mm Kingspan in the cavity and I want to use either a 52.5mm or 62.5mm (inc plasterboard)kingspan kooltherm or xtratherm depending on price when I go to buy. Is there any difference between the two, both technical departments claim same u values. I have a skim of plaster inside of the external walls. Is there anywhere to buy them except from your local unfriendly builder provider?

Hey, Apparently very little difference between the two and that should be in price as well....Yout local "unfriendly hardware" should be cutting the socks off the price to get the order in these times....If not, price around because someone will definitely appreciate your business....

I have just bought some myself and was offered the choice of either Kingspan or Xtra for same price....get prices from 3 or 4 hardware stores and compare.... and then haggle some;)
    Bit of effort required, but you get back what you put in...ooh I've come over all roy keane like....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,066 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Isn't the general rule of thumb that to avoid mould build up the internal insulated slab thickness should not exceed half of what is in the cavity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Both Kingsapan and xtratherm techinical dept said I would have no problems with mould, but it is in their intrest to sell me their product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Quazzie wrote: »
    Isn't the general rule of thumb that to avoid mould build up the internal insulated slab thickness should exceed half of what is in the cavity?

yes - except ..... the internal insulated slab thickness should not exceed ......

Forgive my ignorane, but why should the thickens not exceed the cavity insulation, and why are the companys telling me its ok, are they mis informing the public when they call them for advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If the internal leaf is TOO well insulated from the inside - it can become cool enough to cause hidden condensation to form there .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is 25 euro for 8 x 4 size 37mm thick insulated plasterboard sheets a good or bad price?

Thats from a well known builders providers and DIY store out in Ballymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

8 x 4 sheets of EPS backed plasterboard are a lot cheaper (around 15 euro each to buy) than Polyurethene backed plasterboards. Anyone think these EPS plasterboards are a good bang for the buck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 selfbuilder2010

I am currently pricing insulated slabs for my home in Tipperary. The prices I am getting back are €24 a sheet up to €26 incl VAT. I am still waiting on two providors to get back to me so not going to haggle until I have them. This is for a 50mm sheet incl the plasterboard.

Does anyone know is it necessary when fixing these to the wall you need to put a continous line on the top and bottom of the sheets? The rep from xtratherm told me this but anyone builder I have talked to say they never do it they just use the dot and dab method? Maybe they just dont want the extra work?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

............but anyone builder I have talked to say they never do it they just use the dot and dab method? Maybe they just dont want the extra work?

exactly...!!!!!

read the product certification datasheet to see how its suggests it is fixed.

If not using the mushroom fitting method, you should definitely make sure that the adhesive method is done correctly.

read and see here:
    http://www.xtratherm.com/products/literature/thinrthermalliner.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I ran into problems where the the dot and dab method was used, at least 10 boards did not take to the wall. So I would advice mushroom fixes as well just to ensure you don't run into any problems. sydthebeat is bang on about making sure it's done correctly and as per the manufacturers spec, and make sure you enforce it with the builder.

For your own sanity buy yourself a 2m level (or large straight edge) and square. Spend an hour or two checking all your walls and corners yourself. Be mindful that where boards meet/join that there isn't a dip or belly. I would also advise you to check to see if your walls are plumb a quick Google search will throw up some you-tube videos.

I used the 52.5mm boards and EPS backed plasterboard around the window reveals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

sinnerboy wrote: »
    yes - except ..... the internal insulated slab thickness should not exceed ......

Probably a stupid question, but presumably you disregard the 12.5mm thickness of the plasterboard slab when calculating this ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this maybe useful to clogher too

I too am thinking of going for 60mm kingspan in the cavity and looking at insulated plasterboards aswell. If i stick with that basic formually for my wall insulation....is it adaquate and what are the likely problems that may occur. Very general question i know..but my knowledge is fairly minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 selfbuilder2010

I put 80mm in the cavity so I could put the heavier insulated slab internally just make sure that the blocklayer leaves an extra 20mm in the cavity if you go for this. I found very little difference in the overall price of the 80 over the 60 feel it is worth it.

Syd, I am going to put up the insulated boards myself hopefully, is there need to screw them as well as sticking them or is it one method or the other? I was thinking of doing both just to be safe? I presumed there was no need to plaster the wall first is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Syd, I am going to put up the insulated boards myself hopefully, is there need to screw them as well as sticking them or is it one method or the other? I was thinking of doing both just to be safe? I presumed there was no need to plaster the wall first is that right?[/QUOTE]

Its better to do both, especially if you are going to skim the walls.

And if you do make sure the makers of the plasterboard are the same as the makers of the skimcoat as there has been cases where the skimcoat reacted with the plasterboard and the skimcoat makers wouldnt take responsibility because the plasterboard was form a different company.

I took the plunge and they were delivered saturday, 52.5mm Xtratherm foil backed, and some 17mm insulation attached to 9.5mm slab for the window and door revels.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I took the plunge and they were delivered saturday, 52.5mm Xtratherm foil backed, and some 17mm insulation attached to 9.5mm slab for the window and door revels.....

How did it turn out? I'm heading down this road myself and eager to hear from anyone who has had this setup for a few years!

A little blast from the past here....four years ago, went with the the xtratherm as felt it was the better product, no problems with mold anywhere, except in our utility where we usually dry our laundry and saying that its just at the bottom of the window, I treated it and repainted the area where it was affected with a mould resistant paint, and its staying away at the moment, but we have to dry our washing. I let the slabs touch the floor, and put expanding foam between the joints, pur7 is low expansion and does not balloon out, hanging stuff on insulated slabs can be fun, curtain poles etc

Is just making me think what was important four years ago is nearly forgotten now, different things are important now.

Anything else just ask, and I can see if I can jog the old memory....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mattia

A little blast from the past here....four years ago, went with the the xtratherm as felt it was the better product, no problems with mold anywhere, except in our utility where we usually dry our laundry and saying that its just at the bottom of the window, I treated it and repainted the area where it was affected with a mould resistant paint, and its staying away at the moment, but we have to dry our washing. I let the slabs touch the floor, and put expanding foam between the joints, pur7 is low expansion and does not balloon out, hanging stuff on insulated slabs can be fun, curtain poles etc

Is just making me think what was important four years ago is nearly forgotten now, different things are important now.

Anything else just ask, and I can see if I can jog the old memory....

Hi,
    Would you have any pictures of the progress of the works when you where putting the boards up?

mattia wrote: »
    Hi,
    Would you have any pictures of the progress of the works when you where putting the boards up?

Sorry I don't , but if you have any question and you think I may be able to answer just ask!

• Advertisement
Advertisement