Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind noise in vents

Options
2»

Comments

danindub wrote: »
    Quote from http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/About_Carbon_Monoxide/ :

How many is blocking vents? tens of thousands?

All the cost of insulation is going out the window since I've got literally holes in my walls... ALso, wouldn't I be significantly less exposed to possible carbon monoxide poisoning if, well, my house was warm and I didn't actually need to burn that much gas in the first place?

It's not safe to block vents to suggest otherwise is irresponsible, every death is preventable by something as simple as a clear vent and good servicing, so nobody has to die.

Back in the days I dealt with a family of 4 on Boxing Day, dead from poisoning by a simple gas fire. It's a very sad thing to see I can assure you, them all sitting with the telly still going and the room decorated for happier things.

Their vent was blocked.

Normally I'm a advocate for natural selection but because it's the children (and the grannies)who get it first I would ask please if you don't want to use a fire in a safe manor then don't use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

Sorry to bringing back the old thread, but I just wanted to follow up as I found the solution to my problem.

I got these to replace my house vents. Installed it myself (with very limited DYI skills) and it works great.

Please pm for details

• Registered Users Posts: 11 themainman2010

Hi, have same problem but found cheap, go to ebay and put in "Air Vent Ceiling Grill Outet Inlet Heat Recovery Ventilation Fan 4" 5" 6" 8" dia" and you can get them for 5 pound. there are simple screw shut ventilation vents

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

gary71 wrote: »
    It's not safe to block vents to suggest otherwise is irresponsible, every death is preventable by something as simple as a clear vent and good servicing, so nobody has to die.

Back in the days I dealt with a family of 4 on Boxing Day, dead from poisoning by a simple gas fire. It's a very sad thing to see I can assure you, them all sitting with the telly still going and the room decorated for happier things.

Their vent was blocked.

Normally I'm a advocate for natural selection but because it's the children (and the grannies)who get it first I would ask please if you don't want to use a fire in a safe manor then don't use it at all.

I have a gas fire and 2 vents in my sitting room. Assuming we never use the gas fire, is it then safe to "block" the two vents? By block I mean stuffing with newspaper or something. I really do mean that we would never use the gas fire btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is one of the vents at floor/ground level?
    This is the one designated to provide air for the fire.
    the other one, higher up, is, as far as I know, a build regs requirement

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Rory365 wrote: »
    I have a gas fire and 2 vents in my sitting room. Assuming we never use the gas fire, is it then safe to "block" the two vents? By block I mean stuffing with newspaper or something. I really do mean that we would never use the gas fire btw.
    Its not ok to block the vents in that situation, what if the house was sold in a few years or similar and the new owners started using the fire ?

If you never use the gas fire, then get an RGI to remove it and replace it with a cheap inset electric fire, then you can do what you want with the vents.

Rory365 wrote: »

No, never not while the fire is still usable, I have known guests to poison themselves on a cold night not knowing the vent was cleverly blocked or that someone had stuck a jumper up the chimney(the homeowner had decided it would never be used).

I would advise having the gas fire disconnected or it must be treated as a usable gas appliance.

If you do wish to cover a vent(after the appliance is disconnected)do so in a obvious manor so as to protect against any risk of future carbon monoxide poisoning for any users of the gas fire if it's ever reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

Ok thanks. So fire needs to be fully disconnected and removed for me to do this. And yes 2 vents one at ground level one up close to the ceiling.

Advertisement