Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Practice....

• 14-02-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

As a background, Im in my mid 30's and only learning to drive now, as Epilepsy stopped me driving for years. Lessons not going too bad, cant figure out clutch, but Im told everyone is in that boat starting, so no huge drama.

My problem is that I find it impossible to get practice outside of the lessons. First, I dont have a lot of time, and second as many people find, my other half is just the wrong person to help me learn.

What do folks do in this kind of situation? Ask a mate? Family member [would that not be the same issue above?]

I want to get this sorted and learn, but without practice Im fecked and it will take forever..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

book more lessons (look on groupon/grabone etc for cheap deals)
    go with a friend/family member, just let them know they are not there to instruct just as a legal requirement and to only offer assistance if you ask for it. to make it worth their while offer to 'taxi for them' take them to the shops, help with errands etc. so they are more inclined to drive with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

What do folks do in this kind of situation? Ask a mate? Family member [would that not be the same issue above?]

I want to get this sorted and learn, but without practice Im fecked and it will take forever..
    Think which friend or family member might be best for the job. Find some favour to persuade them to help you. Accept that they will be trying to help with anything they say. But that they are not an instructor and might even give you a little slagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I was in a similar boat - no access to a car outside of lessons.

I just booked more lessons - think I had about 5-6 this time round.
    Failed the test a number of years back so was just building on that experience.

Getting time on the road with a friend / family member is good to get confidence up but the advantage of going out with a good instructor is they should keep banging home tips - check mirrors, you were in the wrong gear for that corner, handbreak etc. Basically the lesons will get you more ready of the test.

If possible do lessons at different times of the day, morning, afternoon, evening - this should help gain confidence as you will have driven your route in all conditions.

re: the clutch - if your in a semi decent car it will be a bit easier, I guess just don't be scared to give too much acceleration - you will soo learn the balance if using the same car all the time.

Good luck with it - speaking from experience, you will have 2 good lessons, a terrible one, followed by a confidence boosting gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Just a tip re: clutch, dont forget that the car will move off without touching the accelerator once you've got the biting point! (So, biting point, hold it, handbrake off, car will start to move as you lift the clutch that little bit more) Even on hill starts, you can move off with just the clutch. Maybe practice this a bit and then start using accelerator when you perfect it? Also, maybe driving to a local car park or industrial estate and practising alone would help? Maybe drive a fully licensed driver to the shop then practice while they get their shopping or whatever?..

Advertisement