Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test in a campervan

Options
  • 18-02-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    I am applying for a test for a C1 licence.
    I just need it to drive a campervan, I don't particularly want to do the test in a ridgid truck (C licence). I am finding it hard to find an instructor with a vehicle over 3500kg and under 7000kg in the Tipperary area.I was wondering could I do the test in my campervan it's left hand drive or what would be the implications of this.
    Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

shadow1100 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am applying for a test for a C1 licence.
    I just need it to drive a campervan, I don't particularly want to do the test in a ridgid truck (C licence). I am finding it hard to find an instructor with a vehicle over 3500kg and under 7000kg in the Tipperary area.I was wondering could I do the test in my campervan it's left hand drive or what would be the implications of this.
    Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%206%20Representative%20vehicles%20for%20the%20driving%20test%20@%2018th%20July%202012.pdf

Here is the link you need.
    All depends on whether the vehicle is pre or post 04 and if it has a weight plate as this is the only accepted way to prove weight requirements
    If its post I think it fails on many of the specs
    Also it must be Irish reg taxed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shadow1100

Thanks Motor-ED.
    The camper weight is 3850kg. It seems for the test the vehicle has to be at least 4000kg.
    Just have to find someone with a large van to hire or any ideas.
    Thanks

That's the GVW 4000kg
    That's not the same as the unladen weight

For example a Transit van could weigh 1500kg
    But have a Gross vehicle weight of 3000kg
    Has the camper a weight plate and what year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks Motor-ED.
    The camper weight is 3850kg. It seems for the test the vehicle has to be at least 4000kg.
    Just have to find someone with a large van to hire or any ideas.
    Thanks

Do the C test, if you can't find a local school with a C1 class truck.

I don't know of any company that'll hire a vehicle to someone on a learners permit and even if they did hiring a C1 truck for practice and the test will be a lot more hassle than just doing C, as most don't supply insurance so you may need to sort that out.

Do you know anyone who has a C1, or C, for more than two years to drive with? If not then you'll have to use a school for practice before your test

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shadow1100

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    That's the GVW 4000kg
    That's not the same as the unladen weight

For example a Transit van could weigh 1500kg
    But have a Gross vehicle weight of 3000kg
    Has the camper a weight plate and what year is it?

The year is 1995. The gvw is 3850kg. Does the year make any difference
    Thanks

• Advertisement

The year is 1995. The gvw is 3850kg. Does the year make any difference
    Thanks

Unfortunately the vehicle doesn't reach GVW for pre or post 04 Spec. Back to drawing board, it seems Advise suggesting you do Cat C is looking most likely option

Advertisement