Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Trailer EB licence question!

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All,

Very confused. I have a car with a single axle trailer and a Full B licence.
    So that trailer is covered by that licence once its less than 750kg & single axle yes?

Then i have a Jeep with a 14'' twin axle. Here's the confusion. Do i need a licence for this or is it covered under the B licence due to the gross weight 3500kg combined rule?

??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

A 'B' licence covers the holder to tow a trailer provided -

The gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combined vehicle weight (i.e. vehicle and trailer) must not exceed 3500kg. (Only exception to 3500kg is where the towing vehicle has a gvw of 3500kg - then max weight of trailer is strictly 750kg - i.e 4250kg combined gvw - e.g. large van or jeep with domestic trailer attached).

(N.B. - the above has changed slightly for any person who passes the B or EB test from 19th Jan 2013).

Hope this helps.
    Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

silvera is spot on,
    and just a BTW, don't let the axles confuse you, they mean nothing other than adding or subtracting from the trailers DGVW as built in by the manufacturers, thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

As listed on RSA website, even they have a footnote so be careful!

Can I tow a trailer on a car licence?

If you have a category B driving licence to drive a vehicle (car/jeep) you can tow a small trailer. If you want to tow a larger trailer you must have category EB on your licence. For information on licence categories click here.

Is there a weight limit for a vehicle?

The owner’s manual will generally set a limit on the total weight of the vehicle and its load. This is known as the maximum authorised mass (MAM) and is also sometimes known as Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW). It covers the weight of the vehicle, passengers, fuel as well as any load carried on a roof-rack. The manual will also give the unladen weight of the vehicle, ie. the weight of the vehicle without any passengers or load. To know the load which can be carried you subtract the unladen weight from the MAM. If, for example, the MAM is 2010 kg and the unladen weight of the vehicle is 1535kg, then the load which can be carried is 475kg.

What aside from the licence affects my right to tow a trailer?

Even though your driving licence entitles you to tow a trailer, the kind of trailer you can tow will also depend on your vehicle specification. The owner’s manual will generally set out a Towing Capacity- sometimes called Towing Weights or Maximum Trailer Weights- for the vehicle. Some small vehicles might not be allowed to tow any trailer while larger vehicles have restrictions set by the manufacturer of these vehicles on the size of trailer which can be towed. In all such cases the type of trailer you can tow will be the lesser of that allowed by your licence or the towing capacity of your vehicle.

How can I find out more about towing capacity?

The towing capacity is described for licensing purposes as the maximum authorised mass (MAM). Your owner manual/handbook will have a section in it about vehicle specification that will tell you this and almost all vehicles will have a metal plate fixed to its body which also gives this information.

For trailers the MAM is the weight of a trailer itself together with the heaviest load which it can carry as specified by the trailer manufacturer.

What trailers does my category B licence cover?

You can tow a trailer with a

MAM no greater than 750kg, and/or
    Where the MAM of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the vehicle, then the MAM of the trailer can be greater than 750kg provided that the combined MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not greater than 3500kg.
    As a general rule your category B licence would not allow you to tow a horsebox or a livestock trailer for bringing animals to the local mart.

What trailers does my category EB licence cover?

You can tow a trailer

In all cases where the MAM of the vehicle and trailer combination is greater than 3500kg.
    In cases where the MAM of the trailer is greater than 750kg. However, note previous question where in certain cases a category B licence will allow you to tow a trailer over 750kg.
    What are the changes to the licensing rules for B and EB licence categories from 19 January 2013?

From that date a person who gets a category B driving licence for the first time can only tow a trailer where (a) the MAM of the trailer is not greater than 750kg or (b) where the combined MAM of the towing vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3500kg.

From that date a person taking out a first EB (BE as it will then be known) licence can only draw a trailer whose MAM is no greater than 3,500kg.

These changes will not apply to people who hold a B or BE driving licence issued before the 19 January 2013.

Why is it important that you tow the correct trailer for your vehicle?

If you tow a trailer that is greater than the permitted MAM you are not safe on the road and this has implications for your own safety as well as that of other road users. For that reason you should take time to understand what trailer is safe and legal to tow on our roads. Ultimately, you are legally responsible for ensuring that you have the correct licence and that you don’t exceed the towing capacity.

How should the load on the trailer be positioned?

Loads should always be placed in a safe and secure position. Wherever possible, loads should be evenly distributed across the trailer and positioned in such a way as to keep the nose weight (i.e. the weight of trailer draw bar on the towing bracket) within the recommended limits for the towing vehicle. Consult your owner’s manual for this figure.

For more information on trailers please click here.

Note this content is for reference and is not a statement of the law or a legal interpretation of the provisions relating to driver licences, this is a matter for the Courts.

Advertisement