Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom notify introduction of 1892 internet access service

Options
  • 23-08-2002 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Its one of those tiny notices stuck in the newspaper (today) saying that details including effective dates are available from Eircom shops (would they post the details on their website nahhh...).

Is this important? What sort of internet access are Eircom going to use 1892 numbers for?

Anybody feel like popping into their local eircom store and reading the details? (They won't have copies ot give out but if you ask politiely they might photocopy the relevant page....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

?

I think it's just low-cost nos.......doesn't IOL Gold use a 1892 number?

What are they up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

1891 is low cost internet access.....
    1892 AFAIK, is for flat rate! :eek:

<edit>
    The above is wrong I overreacted:rolleyes:
    More info here.
    </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Hmm.. IOL Gold is a 1891 number...

>In introducing these new codes the Regulator is developing the existing
    >framework by opening new numbers that are dedicated to Internet traffic. The
    >main Internet access pricing models now include the following categories:
    >
    >* 1891 Hybrid models: the customer chooses a mix of subscription
    >charges and call charges, depending on their pattern of use of the Internet.
    >* 1892 Pay-as-you-go (PAYG): the customer pays for the telephone calls
    >to access the Internet but does not pay any subscription fees to the
    >Internet Service Provider (ISP);
    >* 1893 Partial or Full Flat rate: the customer is not charged for the
    >telecommunications time on-line and/or for traffic generated up to a pre-set
    >limit or with no limits, but pays an agreed flat rate subscription for its
    >Internet service.

Badoing! ODTR stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I have a copy of the e-mail and the details are as follows.

Eircom are introducing two new numbers 1892 110 110 & 1892 150 150.

Both numbers will be charged at identical rates to local call rates (daytime=0.0698c per second with minimum fee of 5.2440c). Evening and weekend rates will also be identical to local call rates.

So, all in all it looks like a clean up exercise by Eircom. Anyone who is currently on Eircom net would dial a 1892 instead of the local number they are currently on and the call charges will stay the same. Also don't expect a 1892 to be routed differently or provide a better connection, all it will do is route you to your local exchange (same as 1891 numbers do at present).

No singing in the streets just yet then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

So on 5 September it will be exactly 18 months since the regulator provided a specific 1893 code to facilitate flatrate products and not a single offering has come forward since - what about a press release or persuading a journo to contact her or Dermot Aherne to comment on whether they are happy this anniversary has passed with no progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Occidental
    Also don't expect a 1892 to be routed differently or provide a better connection, all it will do is route you to your local exchange (same as 1891 numbers do at present).

Pity that in a way. In the "old days" (currently in other words) if there was a problem with a local POP many users could dial up a non-local (but local rate) POP in another area code to get around the problem.

Still a step forward (albeit not much of one) - at least customers will finally have one dialup number rather than a series of the things for those on the move.

The real aim is still usage of the 1893 allocation (which will provide a benefit to irish consumers and businesses). 1892 usage is just window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

whoopee, a new way to access the same crap service! Bravo Eircom, you've done it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by sceptre

Pity that in a way. In the "old days" (currently in other words) if there was a problem with a local POP many users could dial up a non-local (but local rate) POP in another area code to get around the problem.

This should still be the case. At the moment when our local 1891 POP crashes(this never happens of course because Eircom are perfect) I can dial into another POP using the old area numbers. I can then also have Eircom charge me a fortune for the pleasure as of course it is my decision to dial a national rate number and Eircomnet are a different company(this never happens of course because Eircom are perfect).

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Originally posted by sceptre

I use my eircom connection when I am IOL less which thanks to the local crappy lines, Navan node and sheer overwhelming incomptence is very often. I hope if there is a system crash they don't all go together. (nervous laugh b rought on by impending disaster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

I really really hate Eircom. If I say any more I'll just make myself angry....

• Advertisement
Advertisement