Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settlements: Expectations, Precedents, other...

Options
  • 30-03-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am a long time boards user, under a new ID here for sensitivity reasons. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or pointers. My story: I have been married for a little over 3 years, we weren't getting along and sought counselling after less than 1 year. My wife has initiated separation proceedings recently. We are both independent professionals with our own careers, means, houses, mortgages, and we file separate tax returns. We have no kids and do not share a mortgage. We both lived in my house, where we just shared utility bills and I paid for everything else. I have significantly more assets than my younger wife, she has a public sector pension versus no pension for me.

I have a few queries:

1. What can I expect as a settlement if this goes through mediation or other process?
    2. Is there an accessible legal database where you can see precedent settlements and agreements?

Finally, any more words of advice or pointers, would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    CD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The only advice I can give you is to get a decent family law solicitor. Nobody can tell you with any certainty what will happen. People's circumstances differ wildly, and the information you seek is by nature sensitive.

So for that reason, I don't think there's a searchable database. We can't give legal advice. Get a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

There is a database, The British and Irish Legal Information Institute has an accessible free data­base­;

http://www.bailii.org

Advertisement