Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would this piss you off?

• 24-03-2009 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A few weeks ago I was getting a bus home from town. Since the fare increase by Dublin Bus I had resolved not to pay any more than necessary to a totally inefficient public transport service, so I hopped on and paid the minimum. Bus driver asked where I was going to get off? Strange enough I thought, anyway I told driver I was getting off at stop minimum fare would take me to. At this stop, someone got off, bus stayed at the stop....driver shouted down bus at me to get off. I said I was going two more stops, no I had to pay extra or get off.

Would this piss you off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

No, sounds fair enough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Narin

yeah probably was fair enough, I've got it in for Dublin Bus though!

Driver asked a couple of people who got on, all happened to be young women, strange no?

I had paid with my only change 2 euro, offered the change stub...no good.

Was late at night, and happened to be the spot where someone was murdered few days previously.

Does that make any difference? I didn't have the right fare, but there's doing your job and doing your job, ye know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So you wanted to commit a crime where a crime had occurred a few days previously but the bus driver stopped you?

At least the fare dodgers on the trains can use the half excuse that they had paid at their destination previously

What did Michael O Leary say the last time you tried to short change him on his public transport ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, Heaven forbid we pay people for good and services at the price given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

so you actually had 2euro and got a change receipt?? why couldnt you just pay the fare.im sorry but thats what i call TIGHT!!

• Advertisement

Their fares are the crime!

never considered myself a fare dodger, but if I could do it to Micheal O'Leary I would!

Bus driver was also a woman, kind of disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah damn women bus drivers eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

It prob pissed off the bus driver that his/ her job is at stake and that of his/ her colleagues, because the company is not making enough money and yet people cant be arsed to pay an extra few cents for the correct fare. Would piss me off too tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yeah the bus service is sh1te, but you paid the minimum fare, he even asked you where you wanted to get off, I'm afraid you have to get off where you said you would. If you wanted to stay on longer maybe you should have asked how far 2 euro would have gotten you , rather than the minimum fare?:)

Edit: what's the bus driver's gender got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

My most recent experience with DB staff was being waved on the Airlink from Airport as i went to pay, then i just made last Maynooth bus of the evening. i again went to pay (20 note dam airport ATM) and driver let me on even though he couldn't break the note.

Kudos to the sound drivers, this was after spending an extra hour or so at the Airport dealing with the other side of public service snottyness with the Guards all upset.

OP you were just being cheeky with the €2 coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I don't see the validity in fare dodging, whatever the rationale.

Since Bus Éireann have put up prices for city bus services in Limerick, I simply use them less. At the fares before the last two increases I wouldn't think twice about taking random buses around the place (e.g. take a spurious trip out to a shopping centre if in the city centre, or vice-versa). Indeed I just make less discretionary journeys these days.

It's all very well suggesting fare increases are needed to keep services running, but it would seem the law of diminishing returns hasn't been taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Narin wrote: »
    Their fares are the crime!

never considered myself a fare dodger, but if I could do it to Micheal O'Leary I would!

Well done to her for doing her job and trying to retain a few jobs in the service. This kind of approach by public employees instead of going on strike is what we need.
    Yeah the service is poor but not paying for it isn't going to help:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've had nothing but good experiences with Dublin Bus drivers on the Southside, just told "One eighty" with a smile, however far I'm going. Once ya don't try to be cheeky they'll usually help ya out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What pisses me off is people like you.

Why am I paying the full correct fare while people like you regularly commit theft?

I'm delighted that the bus driver correctly threw you off the bus, it is just a pity that she didn't give you a €50 fine for fare invasion.

You are a thief, no different then the scum who go into a shop and fill their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Narin wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was getting a bus home from town. Since the fare increase by Dublin Bus I had resolved not to pay any more than necessary to a totally inefficient public transport service, so I hopped on and paid the minimum. Bus driver asked where I was going to get off? Strange enough I thought, anyway I told driver I was getting off at stop minimum fare would take me to. At this stop, someone got off, bus stayed at the stop....driver shouted down bus at me to get off. I said I was going two more stops, no I had to pay extra or get off.

Would this piss you off?

you bet it'd piss me off, your complete attitude and approach to the whole thing sucks.i'm a bus driver as some of you are aware, and fair play to the driver for doing what they did. i assume you left the bus then.would you go into a shop and try the same thing? e.g. pay €1 for the irish star thats costs €1.40 just because you think it's over priced.actually it's not strange at all to be asking someone where they are going.most of the time when someone puts in €1.15 i ask them where they're going myself.you basically tried to fare evade and were caught. there has been numerous threads about this thing and the replies are basically the same from most honest posters.
    i'm still getting passengers paying €2 into town and even time i tell them it's €2.20 they have an attitude problem. recently (as in the last two days)one woman put in €2. i asked her where she was going she said town i said it's €2.20 and she told me not to be rude.

the following is taken from the new dublin bus website
    Getting on the bus – How to pay

Tell the driver where you want to go.
    The driver will tell you how much your fare is.
    Whenever possible please try to have the correct coins available for your fare. All Dublin Bus services are exact fare only (except Airlink 747/748) and drivers cannot accept euro notes or give change.
    Put your coins in the automatic fare machine which you will see in front of the driver.
    The driver will give you the ticket for your journey. Please keep your ticket for inspection.
    If you do not have the correct coins for your fare the driver will give you a change receipt.

then we have this.

What is a Standard Fare?
    Random spot checks are carried out without warning on all Dublin Bus services. Dublin Bus officials inspect all customer tickets to check that they are valid. If you do not have a valid ticket, you will be issued with a standard fare which means you must pay a penalty of €50 within 21 days.

A ticket is not valid for the following reasons:

You have not paid the correct cash fare

Your prepaid ticket is not in-date
    You do not have the required Photo Identity Card with a travel pass from the Department of Social and Family Affairs
    You do not have a CIE Photo Identity Card with your Adult, Scholar or Child prepaid ticket
    You do not have a valid, in-date Student Travelcard I.D. with your Student Travelwide prepaid ticket.
    End of.

you had a couple of options here.
    pay the correct fare from the start
    pay the excess of 45c (a) if the driver had requsted you or (b)if you offered and the driver accepted. personally i've refused the excess and requsted the passenger to leave the bus in cases like yours.
    pay €1.15 again as this would be the start of a new journey even though it's only two stops.i've seen drivers do this by the way.
    get off the bus, or be forciable be removed by the guards.
    or
    have an inspector give a standard fare, if this were to happen though you'd be on here whinging about it.
    heres a similar thread to yours.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055423698

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

i'm still getting passengers paying €2 into town and even time i tell them it's €2.20 they have an attitude problem. recently (as in the last two days)one woman put in €2. i asked her where she was going she said town i said it's €2.20 and she told me not to be rude.

That's an absolute disgrace. Did she give you the 20c?

OP, I have my share of problems with Dublin bus and all the CIE companies. The only thing in your post that pisses me off is your attitude of fare evading because you don't think it's worth it. Buy a bike or walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

yes she did paul, in most cases when i point out the correct fare people are very polite and appologising saying they didn't know.
    bk wrote: »

Why am I paying the full correct fare while people like you regularly commit theft?
    I'm delighted that the bus driver correctly threw you off the bus, it is just a pity that she didn't give you a €50 fine for fare invasion.

unfortunately bk we dont have that power or authority to give the standard fare.at best all we can do is call for a ticket check and thats if theres a squad car in the area. if we did have to authority to issue standard fares then dublin bus would'nt be in the financial position it is in now.
    you( the travelling public) and we (bus drivers) know fare evasion is rampant but the company dont seem to care or bother about this. they're just coming out with figures from god knows where. what would make more sense is to have a car stationed on the main roads in and out of dublin, that way if we spot someone like this clown we just call in it and hopefully they'd be dealt with swiftly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

if we did have to authority to issue standard fares then dublin bus would'nt be in the financial position it is in now

If Dublin bus drivers were asked to check fares the unions would have a fit. The money recovered from fare evasions would probably be lost in compensation payments to drivers for "a change in our members terms and conditions".

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

In essence, you not paying the correct fare is theft. It is not only bad management and politics that have Dublin Bus in the poor state it is in now, but people like you who evade paying the correct fare. Your behavior contributes to bus fares going up. The good people who pay the correct fare are subsidizing your dishonesty. You are lucky it was only the driver who confronted you and not an inspector or you would have been issued with a standard fare of €50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

You are a thief, no different then the scum who go into a shop and fill their pockets.

A little harsh, don't you think?
    All taxpayers subsidise Dublin Bus - even the ones who've never stepped on board a double decker. So Narin paying even some of his fare is helping to line the pockets of Dublin Bus's greedy, useless managers/
    I think what Narim is rightly objecting to is the confusing fare structure of Dublin Bus and the poor relationship between service quality and value for money.
    We're forever having to deal with drivers going on strike. Maybe in recession-hit Ireland it's the customers' turn to inflict some fresh misery on the Dublin Bus management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Narin`s post:

Would this piss you off?

Simple answer- Yes.

Follow up Question to Narin.

Are you of Irish extraction ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I read this when there was only the original post and thought someone was having a laugh. Of course you pay the correct fare!

I used have a car parking space in work, and having had many long waits for buses in my life was not looking forward to using the bus on my new job.

So I drove halfway and parked, and got the bus. Soon found out how much easier and efficient it is to get the bus all the way - so now I get the 8.20 bus, am in town by 8.50 (from Blanchardstown), generally home on the 6pm in 45 minutes - ultra reliable and pleasant service.

Couldn't think of a more frustrating job with traffic, passengers etc but unfailingly pleasant drivers. Recently had a situation where a driver refused a passenger (romanian woman) as she had no fare, she shouted at him she would report him for racism. he was in no way being rascist. what a horrible threat to have hanging over you.

I used to joke that I should not have to pay the fare as the bus was going that way anyway. OP, have you tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I see the self righteous brigade are out in force. I doubt anyone here as ever accepted a freebie from a mate in one way or another!

It's bloody ridiculous! He could've easily let you get off where you wanted and just said ''for future reference the fare is...''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

LMAO. My God. I'm guessin' your at least 60 with a huge chip on your shoulder!!?!!! :rolleyes:

Have used Dublin Bus for a long time with no major problems, and have to agree most drivers are friendly enough.

I was frustrated at the fact that I had no choice but to get a bus home, no choice but to pay over the odds( compared to similar sized cities) and felt the driver was a bit harsh.

also just picked out random customers...who were all women.

Anyway I never did cash in the change stub, so I suppose I paid the full fare...and a tip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Narin posts....again...
    I was frustrated at the fact that I had no choice but to get a bus home, no choice but to pay over the odds( compared to similar sized cities) [Which Cities?] and felt the driver was a bit harsh.[a BIT..??]

also just picked out random customers...who were all women.

Anyway I never did cash in the change stub, so I suppose I paid the full fare...and a tip!
    Since the fare increase by Dublin Bus I had resolved not to pay any more than necessary to a totally inefficient public transport service
    Driver asked a couple of people who got on, all happened to be young women, strange no?

Where does one even begin to start disassembling this persons "problem",if thats what it be..?

I did enquire earlier if Narin was of Irish descent as I feel the several different "Attitudes" coming from his/her posts may well,at some future point in time,appear in learned tomes as descriptive indicators of just how Ireland managed to find itself fcukxed and almost bankrupt in Q1 of the 21st century.

The ability to take an early decision not to pay the rate for a given service.
    I had resolved not to pay any more than necessary to a totally inefficient public transport service

The surprise at being asked a relevant question and finding it "strange"
    Bus driver asked where I was going to get off? Strange enough I thought,

The self-righteous indignation at being required to accept the (relatively modest) consequent of one`s previous actions.
    I told driver I was getting off at stop minimum fare would take me to. At this stop, someone got off, bus stayed at the stop....driver shouted down bus at me to get off. I said I was going two more stops, no I had to pay extra or get off.

Always be ready with the pre-concieved and well practiced "notion".
    I've got it in for Dublin Bus though!

Always be prepared to make close and detailed observations of the actions of others around you,especially if it can be turned to one`s advantage.

Just about the only positive response I can give Narin is to pay a bit of attention to the notices on many Buses at the moment.

Temple Street Childrens Hospital and The Make a Wish Foundation are looking for YOUR Change Tickets. Watch out for the yellow cardboard Bus Collection Boxes and drop your UNUSED change tickets into it.

Thats about all I can think of other than to cop yourself on and accept the consequences of your own conscious decision to be a Public Transport Rebel and perhaps ask why you feel the need to emphasize the Feminine nature of the "Other" people you observed .....hope there`s not some form of Lesbian phobia worming it`s way out of this ????

However,Mr Frost having skimmed through Narin`s OP then decides to unburden his icy heart.....
    I see the self righteous brigade are out in force. I doubt anyone here as ever accepted a freebie from a mate in one way or another!

It's bloody ridiculous! He could've easily let you get off where you wanted and just said ''for future reference the fare is...''

Not a self-righteous post in the thread so-far,in fact quite the reverse,with most posters being somewhat restrained in their responses to Narin,who appears to be a person for whom NO public service will ever be worth paying for ?

I would certainly agree on the "bloody ridiculous" description...but I would imagine the term would be best used on some form of sign to hang around Narins neck reading ........

"I am a Bloody Ridiculous intending passenger who HAS IT IN FOR DUBLIN BUS and who has resolved never to pay MORE THAN NECESSARY"

This at least would give other more compliant passengers a sporting chance to either sub the individual or impart a good kick up the transom.

Then for good measure Mr Frost introduces another concept into the "debate"....Ageism........
    LMAO. My God. I'm guessin' your at least 60 with a huge chip on your shoulder!!?!!!

It`s either a Full Moon or the oul`Radon Gas that gives full rein to these vapours.... :D:D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The other bit of celtic tiger attitude is that having gone to the trouble of short paying the fare, Narin then fails to cash in the change receipt.

So Narin went to all this trouble, lied to the driver about the destination, got kicked off the bus and got all hot and bothered to save the difference between the minimum fare and €2 and *then did nothing with the 'savings'*

I mean, COME ON . . .

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

"I was frustrated at the fact that I had no choice but to get a bus home, no choice but to pay over the odds( compared to similar sized cities) and felt the driver was a bit harsh"

So, finding yourself in Dublin out of the blue (instead of say, Paris), and finding yourself forced to take a bus (instead of say, asking someone for a lift) and finding yourself being legitimately asked by the driver for your destination you decided to flat out lie to the driver and then you were surprised when you were called on it. Most people would expect to be called on it and would have the good sense to pay the correct fare either when boarding the bus or at least when challenged by the driver.

z

Mr. Frost wrote: »

How dare someone do their job. That bus driver should be fired for doing exactly what he was supposed to. :rolleyes:

Also, we've all taken freebies from mates, who wouldn't. I think it's fair to say the OP and the driver weren't mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If I was so mean that I would cheat anyone out of a few measly cents (or a good few quid for that matter), i wouldnt shout about it all over the Internet, Id keep it my own dark little guilty secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

no, it would not piss me off!

Advertisement